PDA

View Full Version : Elaho, Ashlu River Area

Deer_Slayer
11-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Thinking of checking this area out for Mulies. I read there are quite a few bear up here which makes sense, but what's the deer hunting like?

RayHill
11-10-2014, 03:06 PM
There aren't any Mule deer there. Those deer are Blacktail.

Deer_Slayer
11-10-2014, 03:17 PM
yeah I know that. I refer to them all as Mulies. Thanks anyways

Sylus
11-10-2014, 07:06 PM
I haven't hunted that area but I have fished it a number of times. Only ever saw bears and coyotes, no deer. Both valleys are extremely high angle with extremely dense foliage. Bush-wacking through that stuff would be a complete battle.

Tīɡ
11-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Been in that area many times, never seen much for deer activity but lots of black bears. Also been told of some grizzlies in there but haven't seen one, lots of wolf tracks and sign too.

ducktoller
11-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I have seen fresh tracks and scat of deer but nothing more. They come lower in the snow. They are there but you need to climb my friend.
I would stay away from bears there this time of year, mmmm salmony.
There's also a bunch of elk! and goats if you are lucky way up high.
It's tough country and will reward you if you search hard. There's a lot of FSRs in 2-7 between the valley road turnoff and before chance creek if you hike, but watch for rec users and watch the gaibaldi parks boundary if you hit up that side.
You'd probably have better luck going farther north. Besides you gotta drive about 30 minutes from 99 before legal shooting, and farther for decent areas. In that time you could get farther north!

There was a lot of filming up the elaho just off squamish main a couple weeks ago, and some weird guy threatened to hunt me :/ .

ducktoller
11-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Plus if you are in whistler, if it's sunny and the blacktails are hiding you can go to the pub and see all the pretty whistler girls and aussies ;)

Nita Lake lodge makes a great latte

hickman
11-11-2014, 02:22 PM
There are better spots along the Squamish FSR than the Ashlu. The Ashlu is too dense and thick with brush. Look for recent cuts and slashes as you drive up the Squamish. You will have to go to at least 1000 meters elevation right now to find what you are looking for.

charlie_horse
11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Was out last weekend and didn't get into any sign until I hit snow around 1500m . Lots of sign then and got real close to a couple does.

monasheemountainman
11-11-2014, 04:48 PM
man im glad I don't live in the LML I couldn't imagine having to hunt an area where there aren't any deer!

Deer_Slayer
11-11-2014, 09:04 PM
I hear you Monasheeman. Lived in Kootenays for 25 years and kinda spoiled. Maybe we will get lucky tomorrow. Cold weather may get these deer moving.

monasheemountainman
11-11-2014, 09:18 PM
I wish you luck brother hope you nail one.

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2014, 10:17 PM
You weren't kidding. Terrible place to hunt, but river looks good for fishing.

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2014, 10:18 PM
The only thing you can nail in this place, is a sign saying don't bother. Desolate and absent of game. Valley of the dead I would call it..maybe that's what Elaho means.

vortex hunter
11-12-2014, 10:22 PM
The only thing you can nail in this place, is a sign saying don't bother. Desolate and absent of game. Valley of the dead I would call it..maybe that's what Elaho means.

lol so true only bear I ever seen in there was the Grizzly that stalked me and my buddy, and One black bear I feed the lead .

ACE
11-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Remember reading about a moose population in the Elaho watershed. Supposedly around 50 animals ?
Any reports, sign, etc ?

vortex hunter
11-12-2014, 10:35 PM
ACE I have seen bulls elk and moose and i think only LEH for elk , but I could be wrong

Sylus
11-13-2014, 12:15 AM
You weren't kidding. Terrible place to hunt, but river looks good for fishing.

Yeah that is what I was saying! Steep and thick and just shitty. The river is pretty good for fishing, when the salmon are thick so are the people though. I much prefer it for trout in the winter months, PM me if you wants details on that at all. You sound like you are new to the area.

blacksn95
11-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Been there wheeling a few times.. All i see are bears and wolves... Had a pack of them follow me as I was driving down a logging road

RB2
11-13-2014, 11:55 PM
There is deer in there, Blacktails like steep and thick.

celticwolf
11-14-2014, 04:05 AM
There is deff deer up there, my old man lives in the housing area just before the dirt road takes over. He sees them now and again and I've seen sign around, but not going to lie its hard to find when all you see is elk crap and foot prints every where.

seanps
11-14-2014, 07:53 AM
For what it's worth, I've seen deer along the Squamish Main near the Elaho. I'm a terrible, loud deer hunter, but I've nearly walked smack into a doe, have had a few run in front of my truck, and was lining myself up for a shot on a nice young buck one morning when my dog decided to bark at the deer. (Don't bring my dog deer hunting).

My sightings have been around the riverbanks and bottom of the valley, but as celticwolf says, the elk sign makes it hard to get a handle on deer tracks.

albravo2
11-14-2014, 08:03 AM
There are definitely deer there but of all the places I've hunted in BC, that has the highest calorie/critter ratio. A fair bit of driving too. Its home to me but it ain't the happy hunting grounds.

As the the elaho moose herd, I don't know how many in total but I say a cow and two calves last year.

hickman
11-14-2014, 09:41 AM
There are good spots close to where the pavement ends. I found a perfect cut with lots of tracks within 1 hour from Squamish (incl. drive up and walk to spot) that I will hunt this weekend. Yes, you have to drive up some steep, gnarly roads but there are deer! I had one run in front of my truck as I was driving close to the valley bottom. The terrain is hell when the cuts are growing in. Need to look for new slashes. Talk to the guys who are logging, they see deer and can give you pointers...
Elk are LEH only. When you see elk tracks, there won't be many deer. The elk hang out near the river. Deer, especially bucks are still higher up this time of the year.

metalface
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
saw a moose cow and 2 calves last week along the road at last light about 50km up elaho.