PDA

View Full Version : stinky blacktails

Takla
11-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Spent 4 hrs hikeing yesterday up to the 4 hundred metre mark on a local mnt yesterday area 2-8,solid bush hike and altho we were into beaut blacktail country we didn't get into sign till the top.GPSed it at 400 metre and walked into an area and immediately smelled rutting buck with lots of fresh track both doe and a buck or two,no fresh scapes yet but lots from last yr.Spent 2 hrs trying to cox him out but no go this time.On the way in found an old grow op and lots of beat up trees from the local bear population.Was a good day all in all,with cool temps this week should bring them down lower I hope!

Takla
11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
well finally seeing deer,went into the same area this morning and about half way up spoked a couple doe's with what looked like a young button buck.
More track lower down the mnt this morning as well,i think the cold is finally working,funny ,Spotted a dead barn owl with a mouse still in his tallons on the hike in must have been hit by a car,flew into the field and died there.
Any other BT hunters seeing anything?

last light
11-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Finally seen one on Sunday afternoon. Hiking into a spot for "happy hour" in the dense fog. Seen one lonely doe. Was sure hoping a buck was with her but it wasn't to be. Soon I hope. Good luck to all BT hunters!

Takla
11-11-2014, 05:38 PM
seems to me the rut should starting about now,Ive shot blacktail bucks between the 8th and 20th nov.Hopefully we get a scuf of snow this comeing weekend on the higher mnt tops

celticwolf
11-12-2014, 02:21 AM
I got my first buck last week, just a spiker following three does but Im happy none the less. Other then that lots of sign but little deer sightings

Takla
11-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Staying cold till next week,that should move the bucks down and get them moving,gonna work next couple days and hit the mnt fri,should be prime rut time now!

pin_head
11-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the local intel. Myself and my hunting partner even moreso have been hammering "our hill" lately with little to show except a few does.

Cheers,
Brad

caddisguy
11-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I am leaving tomorrow AM to look for some stinky local blacktails.

I'll be back Saturday or Sunday at the latest with the update... all depending on how many long cold dark nights I can handle. With a high of 3C and a low of -4C around sea level, I am guessing above 800M it will be -10C.

Sleeping in the Jeep is going to be colder than sleeping in a freezer. Luckily I downloaded a few episodes of baywatch to get me through those cold lonely nights ;-P

stubby
11-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Two weeks ago I saw two does in the area I've been hunting. On Sunday evening I saw one doe and a glimpse of another but couldn't identify what it was. I'm assuming it was the same two does I previously saw. I hiked around for three hours and found lots of fresh tracks but no other sign. Hoping a buck will show up soon!

Takla
11-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Two weeks ago I saw two does in the area I've been hunting. On Sunday evening I saw one doe and a glimpse of another but couldn't identify what it was. I'm assuming it was the same two does I previously saw. I hiked around for three hours and found lots of fresh tracks but no other sign. Hoping a buck will show up soon!
Your hunting 2-8 as well I assume,what elevation did you see the doe's at?Last one's I seen were around the 200 metre level,the buck we hiked up to {smelt him strong!}was heading down hill and this is the usual pattern we see when the rut starts .
make sure to bring a rattle bag with you,they will come in to it!

stubby
11-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Your hunting 2-8 as well I assume,what elevation did you see the doe's at?Last one's I seen were around the 200 metre level,the buck we hiked up to {smelt him strong!}was heading down hill and this is the usual pattern we see when the rut starts .
make sure to bring a rattle bag with you,they will come in to it!

I'm actually hunting 2-6. I've been seeing the does around the 900m level. I don't actually have a rattle bag yet. Guess I'll have to pick one up and try it out this week.

walks with deer
11-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Takla,

Pm me and I will tell you were I saw 2 old boys.

I will not be hunting the coast much anymore and can give you a good spot.

but I need one story about K crowley for old times sake.

walks with deer
11-13-2014, 10:46 PM
plus I am tagged out lol.. for this year.

Takla
11-14-2014, 06:22 AM
morning hunt today,will post any sign or action when back

sawmill
11-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Sure glad I live here!Tagged out myself,took a fat 2 pnt. Whitie and a big dry doe.First year I didn`t hold out till the rut to get another 5x5.One I got last year was tough as a bull dog.This buck is outstanding tender.I saw a great 5x5 last evening on the way home from work,got all twitchy but,oh well,freezer full of meat makes it better.

Takla
11-14-2014, 05:14 PM
that's great to hear Sawmill.Ive had many easier hunts that were gimmies as far as bringing home meat over the yrs up north.
Hunting blacktails here on the coast is a whole different story as far as the work you have to put into it.No road hunting here and hikes from hell to get up to their holding area's.Just back from another 800 verticle hike again this morning,no siteings,some fresh track and beds spoted.
Cold and windy as hell and the bush was noisey with all the dry fallen leaves.
Will be heading up again tomorrow...

walks with deer
11-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Takla (big m) your crowley story was worthy check you inbox i guessed one of those bucks at 8years and 5x5
Bring stevo he needs to go make him walk.

walks with deer
11-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Ps i saw them this year. Broadside 50yards 120 yards and the other about 220yards

walks with deer
11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
I was just fishing... With my kids.

also km 13 we saw a beast of a bear.on the left

gamehunter6o
11-14-2014, 09:25 PM
I love this thread title.. "stinky blacktails". To a real deer hunter the "stink" of any deer species in the rut is better than the best cologne money can buy.

Keep hunting those stinkies while they are.:mrgreen:

last light
11-23-2014, 07:14 PM
I don't know where they have gone. Tried all my "go to" spots, secondary spots, and even new spots. Can't even seem to find a doe anymore never mind a buck. Don't consider myself a bt expert but I usually tag one or two bucks annually for the last 10-12 years.

This year has me stumped.

Anyone else having trouble?

fishingguy44
11-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Ive had some trouble this year too. I was watching a doe the other day being chased by a huge bodied buck but he was just a button. Weird eh? another one of my spots is all gated up now. checking out a new spot on Tuesday as a last ditch effort. I plan on killing myself hiking around!

Wentrot
11-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I am also suffering since the first one. They slip in to an alternate dimension during the daylight and mock the cameras by night. Going to hit it hard until the finish now.