PDA

View Full Version : whitetail vs mule deer rut

Cyrus
11-09-2014, 12:18 PM
since poulations of both species in reg 5 is 50/50 now i have to try and figure out these whiteys. are the rut times the same? do they get stupid like mulies? anything different i should try like rattling?

dukester
11-12-2014, 08:21 AM
whitetail rut is about 2 weeks after mulies, after the 20th of nov. they are alittle stupid but still on edge.

Mikey Rafiki
11-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Some small ones have been chasing does around here. Also had a buddy say a big mature 4x4 was trailing a doe head down. But typically later November.

Even the big boys get stupid but they seem keep aware of their surroundings a bit more and can snap out of that tunnel vision a little easier than Muleys.

bond123
11-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Yep Whitetail rut is late November and as everyone mentioned they do get stupid but are more aware then Muleys.

Jesse_01
11-21-2014, 08:27 AM
I agree muleys get tunnel vision blind. I had a 4x4 walk out 50yrds in front of me sniffing the ground as I stopped to take a leak on the side of a forest road.
He is now on my wall.

Wrayzer
11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
I've had good success rattling juvenile whitetail bucks in, that I am aware of. We got busted last year by a decent 5 point that snuck in quietly behind us. If you do rattle be aware of all ways they can enter.

On he flip side, it pays to just watch the does and not let them be aware of your presence by calling or rattling. I'm still learning the patience of this.

Muleys are starting to chase real hard right now and whities should be tailing in the next week, looking back at my notes and from my few afternoons in the bush this week.

huckleberry
11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
since poulations of both species in reg 5 is 50/50 now i have to try and figure out these whiteys. are the rut times the same? do they get stupid like mulies? anything different i should try like rattling?

Pre-rut right, good time to rattle and decide if you want to pull the trigger. Three of us hunted the last three days looking for meat bucks. Between us we saw 50 deer and 8 were bucks. This time of the year we try to harvest 2 1/2 year olds since their not stinky yet and still have lots of fat. Saw 2 hogs with necks as thick as their chests, we save them for the horn hunters. We look for meat, shot lots of them when younger but now we want something edible. We took 3 bucks, 4 point, 3 point, and 2 point. All with a good layer of fat and lotsof internal fat, all done for this season. Rattling with the occasional doe bleat is a killer. Good luck out there.

Jesse_01
11-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Pre-rut right, good time to rattle and decide if you want to pull the trigger. Three of us hunted the last three days looking for meat bucks. Between us we saw 50 deer and 8 were bucks. This time of the year we try to harvest 2 1/2 year olds since their not stinky yet and still have lots of fat. Saw 2 hogs with necks as thick as their chests, we save them for the horn hunters. We look for meat, shot lots of them when younger but now we want something edible. We took 3 bucks, 4 point, 3 point, and 2 point. All with a good layer of fat and lotsof internal fat, all done for this season. Rattling with the occasional doe bleat is a killer. Good luck out there.

Did you guys spot and rattle/call? Or rattle/call untill they showed up?