PDA

View Full Version : Was up Sowaqua Cr yesterday

heatherdaddy
11-09-2014, 09:22 AM
I went up Sowaqua Cr Rd yesterday and holy crap was it bumpy and rough. I went all the way to the 27 km marker and walked every frickin side spur rd and trail we could find, we put on over 17 miles by foot ( according to the pedometer we brought). I saw no sign no game not even a bloody chipmunk. I was not impressed with that road, but everybody seems o rave about it. Was my partner and I doing something wrong in hunting that road, or is it just not that productive of a road? We were there for 5:45am and there was already a crap ooad of people there on that road. We came across a couple of guys in a truck who were not the friendliest people around, we told that this was a first time on the road and was were wondering how far it went, they kinda laughed at us and said it goes to 25km but maybe you shouldnt be here if you dont the road and left. We then went to the 25km mark and followed the spur road and talked the loggers there who were the friendliest bunch of people you could meet. The one guy said they were loggin at about the 7km mark on the spur road and that they hadn't seen anything at all, he also told us that maybe we should go to the lower road and try the 26-27km mark there as he saw some there a few days ago, so off we go to try that spot but still didnt see a damn thing including prints or crap. Can anybody tell me how farmthat road actually does go as we only went to the 27km mark?
We left there at about 12:30pm after damn near burning up the brakes on the truck going down hill on the way out. The funniest thing we saw was a yuppie in his Mercedes Benz SUV going in that road and he was doing at 70km on the start and we were waiting to see if he would crash it on the rough road.
After that we left and went to the Skagit where we at least saw some sign and saw about 7 grouse and some fresh bear crap, we saw more sign in the Skagit then on Sowaqua.
Unless we did something wrong in hunting on Sowaqua we will probably never go back there as the people in vehicles who passed us were rude and there was way too many people.

Fella
11-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Well the more human activity that happens in an area, the less likely you are to see an animal. If you insist on hunting high pressure areas you're going to have to get a ways off the road and still hunt the game trails. Best of luck to you!

Ferenc
11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Did you go into the timber above the cuts ... That's where I'd be going. Usually no rudeness in those areas .

Coachman
11-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Too close to the lower mainland. Everyone and their dog seems to go in there on the weekends. Last time I was in there sitting on a ridge, i counted 6 trucks that i could see all at the same time. No deer in in half it's right mind will be anywhere near a road in there. There's deer in there, but rare to find them.

solo
11-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Put the truck in four low on the way down. No need to use the brakes then.

natebavis
11-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Goes about 28km then you can walk a quad road another hour into timber. The gem about this road is you can access lots of ridges for deer. We hike both sides of valley up high. Nice alpine-ish areas with animals. Usually around 2.5hrs up . Saw very tasty looking spike moose around the 20 km cuts 2 weeks ago. Was not spooky at all. Nate

Takla
11-09-2014, 07:06 PM
ya too much traffic in there and once the shooting starts the game goes back a mnt or two.used to be good for spring bear,took lots in there up until about 5 rs back when the logged the crap outa there.Wouldnt waste my time nowadays