PDA

View Full Version : 7-20A Elk Hunt Info

bc sportsman
11-08-2014, 02:14 AM
My son and I got a draw for antlerless elk in 7-20A. Dec to end of Feb. Never hunted that late before.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to hunting during any of those months? By that I mean are we better off hunting in Dec or in the new year (Jan or Feb)? And why? Thinking deep snow may hinder vehicle access along the back roads in Jan/Feb. Are the elk more accessible and herded up in Jan/Feb vs Dec? Any other factors? Thanks.

moosinaround
11-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Ever hunt 7-20a in GOS? Ever hunt the 7b region? Got a starting point for an area? Ft St john, Dawson creek, chetwynd, hudsons Hope? These winter hunts are having their desired results I think. Cold and snow will drive the elk to cattle feed, so watch the weather and go when it's cold and snowy. It's snowy up there right now, and has been chilly. I've seen temp swings of 40*c in 24 hrs so plan accordingly. My dad has that draw this year as well. Good hunting, moosin

Rhyno
11-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Lots of info on here about this hunt, try a search.

i have had the draw twice, hunted it once opener and once in late Jan as Moosin said snow and cold are the key. If you are flexible and can drop everything to go when the conditions are prime you stand your best chance.

Vladimir Poutine
11-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Ever hunt 7-20a in GOS? Ever hunt the 7b region? Got a starting point for an area? Ft St john, Dawson creek, chetwynd, hudsons Hope? These winter hunts are having their desired results I think. Cold and snow will drive the elk to cattle feed, so watch the weather and go when it's cold and snowy. It's snowy up there right now, and has been chilly. I've seen temp swings of 40*c in 24 hrs so plan accordingly. My dad has that draw this year as well. Good hunting, moosin

X2 The colder and more miserable it is increases the chances of them heading to hay. Info from relatives in the area suggests that things have changed over the years i.e. the number of hay enclosures on private properties to protect hay has increased enormously. The number of landowners that wanted the elk culled has reduced. The amount of constant traffic due to gas activity has changed patterns. The elk that used to hang in large numbers seem to have relocated North and East. The areas that are close to FSJ are pounded pretty hard. If you get a good contact it's worth a lot. I have 3 solid ones now and they are our go to always. Saves a lot of time and effort driving around just looking.

Ferenc
11-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Just insure you have your gear and vehicle in good working order. Right now the roads are nasty... That time of the year it can get downright really nasty...check your rifles also...extreme colder weather for sure.

d6dan
11-08-2014, 09:59 AM
I had that draw in 2011 and went in Feb. The weather was cold,-28c snowing. The elk we in large herds and very hungry. Getting land owner permission is a big plus and having a brother with a butcher shop also made it a great hunt.

Good luck on your hunt.

srupp
11-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Hmmm had the draw last year..lots of work...cold cold cold westher...cold! Lots of snow deep..most miserable conditions...got a elk.
Got the draw again this year..
Going back.
Cheers
Steven

bc sportsman
11-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes...we have hunted sj in the past around the Graham river. Planning on going south from fsj for the late season elk hunt. Never hunted this late in that country. Latest we've hunted the fsj area has been mid October.

I'm assuming lots of driving to find tracks crossing the back roads (that are accessible by truck), lots of glassing and then in on foot (with snowshoes?) to hunt if the area looks promising? The research I've done on this site seems to indicate that getting land owner permission isn't as easy as it sounds. Hit and miss.

Thanks everyone for responding above.

Doublelung
11-09-2014, 07:14 AM
A farmer I know started the week with 9 elk. As of yesterday morning he's got over 70. They are moving into the low lands around chetwynd.