PDA

View Full Version : Conservation officers finding too many hunters driving with loaded guns

East Van Ray
11-07-2014, 01:45 PM
http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/conservations-officers-finding-many-hunters-driving-loaded-guns/

A recent enforcement campaign by conservation officers found an alarming number of hunters driving with loaded firearms inside their vehicles.
Kevin Van Damme, a conservation officer based in Kamloops, said five hunters were caught in the area this month driving with loaded rifles — one of which had the safety off.
“The round was in the chamber and the safety was off,” he said.
“Any bump and that round could be discharged.”
Van Damme said a loaded gun presents a danger to the hunter, his companion and the enforcement officer as drivers typically scramble to unload the gun after being pulled over.
Van Damme acknowledged hunters driving with loaded guns may be doing so in order to get off a quick shot.
However, he added, rules are also in place regarding shooting in proximity to maintained roads and homes.
The Conservation Officer Service levied tickets for the offences.
Van Damme also said enforcement has turned up instances of hunters falsifying tag information, either claiming a deer was taken by a partner or that it was shot in another region.
That tactic is designed to allow for the killing of two deer this season.
Such offences can result in seizure of firearms and charges in provincial court.
“In the Interior, there’s a large number of mule-deer days,” Van Damme said.
“There’s a lot of pressure on these animals.”

Thoughts everyone?

The Hermit
11-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Ya takes yer chances and ya pay yer dues...

MB_Boy
11-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Thoughts?????? :-?

Ya.....don't drive with a loaded firearm....it could be 'bad'. :wink: :tongue:

adriaticum
11-07-2014, 01:53 PM
I guess a lot if people don't understand that this particular law is designed to protect them.

Spy
11-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Ja thats just dumb! You gotta be a complete fool to drive with a loaded rifle. Unbelievable !!!

keoke
11-07-2014, 01:58 PM
You cant legislate stupid.

Big Lew
11-07-2014, 01:58 PM
A good friend's father just about blew his head off by riding around in the
cab of a truck with a loaded gun...put a hole through the shorty beak of his
aluminum hard hat and the roof of his brand new company truck. Didn't
help that both his driver and himself were sucking on a whiskey bottle as
they were road hunting.

abbyfireguy
11-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Silly boys drive with loaded guns..
we were checked by CO's coming out of 6-01 on our way home a few weeks ago.
After he finished swearing at us for not stopping my 9500 lb trailer on snow within 100 feet ,all our guns were checked and ok'd.
Didn't appreciate his foul language nor the volumne.
Quess he didn't like being called young feller by this old fart..
He was a miserable SOB that day..

1/2 slam
11-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Or fix it...

Singleshotneeded
11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
If you're road hunting put a few cartridges in your detachable magazine, put it on the console. Lean the empty rifle in the corner of the console and passenger seat, and it's ready to grab pretty quickly if you spot a buck in the clear cut. If you're driving very slowly they won't freak out and start running, and you'll have time to shoot! Putting the mag into the rifle and pushing the bolt forward doesn't take a heck of a lot of time!

Coachman
11-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Illegal is illegal and stupid is as stupid does.. How sad is it that someone intentionally keeps their rifle loaded in the truck, to save a few seconds while they haul their a$$ out of their seat.

caddisguy
11-07-2014, 03:10 PM
“In the Interior, there’s a large number of mule-deer days,” Van Damme said.

Seems a little left field mentioning the length of our seasons in BC--as if it's a bad thing--in this context.

As for driving with loaded guns, in some cases guys might be trying to get a quick shot. In other cases it could just be people who forgot to take the mag out. Equally dangerous but perhaps less sinister.

I don't know about you guys but one time after stopping for some grouse which flushed right as I put a magazine in, I caught myself ready to get back in with the mag still in the rifle. Good reminder to prove stuff safe every time. From that point forward whenever I'm with a hunting partner I ask every time before they put in a gun in the car if they are certain it is unloaded. Annoying yes, but being a bit of a nag is worth preventing a fine, criminal charge or accident.

Always be sure to PROVE that the vehicle isn't in gear when you jump out too ;-P

caddisguy
11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
As for driving with loaded guns, in some cases guys might be trying to get a quick shot. In other cases it could just be people who forgot to take the mag out. Equally dangerous but perhaps less sinister.

Tried to edit this, but no dice. I meant being forgetful can be equally dangerous (ie: you could leave a round chambered)... driving with an attached mag and the action closed I wouldn't consider very dangerous, but I understand why it isn't allowed.

Dannybuoy
11-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I ventured over to the gong-show that reg 3 is last week ....was stopped by the CO's as well ... quick check that firearms were not loaded and I had a hunting licence and I was on my way . I heard from another hunter later that there were quite a few guys stopped with loaded firearms in the vehicles .

eaglesnester
11-07-2014, 04:11 PM
If U are hunting with a bolt action, keep two rounds between the fingers of your left hand with the action open. The rifle is between your legs with muzzle up. You can exit a vehicle quickly, load fast and throw down on your target. No reason to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Fisher-Dude
11-07-2014, 05:20 PM
COs here in R8 told me that they've seen a lot of loaded guns in vehicles too. Seemed like a large increase to them.

They also said they have stopped a pile of dope smokers too. Guns confiscated for 24 hours til ya sober up. Think about it before ya hit the pipe.

Dmytro
11-07-2014, 05:53 PM
If you're road hunting put a few cartridges in your detachable magazine, put it on the console. Lean the empty rifle in the corner of the console and passenger seat, and it's ready to grab pretty quickly if you spot a buck in the clear cut. If you're driving very slowly they won't freak out and start running, and you'll have time to shoot! Putting the mag into the rifle and pushing the bolt forward doesn't take a heck of a lot of time!

You forgot to mention that you need to exit the vehicle before you put the mag into the rifle.

Rob
11-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I was fined 2 yrs ago for having my clip in my browning a bolt, it was laying in the backseat, nothing chambered but still classified as loaded. Paid my fine and traded the gun for a floorplate winchester.

boxhitch
11-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Handi tip for the Browning roadies , carry an empty mag in the rifle , and just drop in a single for that fast first shot from the jump. Faster than trying to swing in a mag on that floorplate.

dougan
11-07-2014, 08:13 PM
You can't fix stupid !!!

blacksn95
11-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Back in the day a bunch of guys from work decided to go on their annual hunting trip.. One guy had a loaded rifle in the truck.. As they were rushing to get out after seeing an animal one guy shot himself through the foot and floorboard into the front tire.. They had to change the tire before taking him to the hospital.. I alwayd keep that in the back of my mind when i enter a vehicle after hunting..

Gateholio
11-07-2014, 09:14 PM
A loaded firearm in a vehicle is perfectly safe if you know what you are doing. All the COs that are checking for loaded firearms carry loaded firearms in their vehicles for instance.

That said, it's illegal and doesn't really increase your chances of killing an animal, so really no reason to do it.

lightmag
11-07-2014, 09:59 PM
if your driving around with a loaded rifle….. your an idiot and deserve to be caught!!! and it doesn't increase your chance of getting a shot off either! i can easily jam clip in and jack a shell in and get a shot off if needed quickly just as fast if already loaded… I'm loading as I'm getting out and i garuntee ill be locked, loaded and squeezing quality shot off same time as anybody who had already loaded rifle.

Salty
11-07-2014, 10:00 PM
'alarming number of loaded FA'. Bit of spin there maybe? They state there were 5 cases as part of a campaign in reg 3 so I'm thinking they checked a lot of people. Did they check a hundred? 200? Still not cool tho I agree not necessarily from a safety point of view but it is a pretty key law here in BC I'm not sure why a few like to try to cheat it. I agree with Gate there's no real advantage to doing it. Even the dedicated road hunter can pop a magazine in or one or two in a top loader on the way out of the truck awful fast.

deerslayer3
11-07-2014, 10:17 PM
"Loaded" in the sense of the law.....as Gatehouse stated, not dangerous if the operator is paying attention/aware/sober. Cartridge in the pipe, yes, not cool in road hunting conditions.

webley
11-08-2014, 05:14 AM
Do these people need a deer that bad. I always thought hunting was a nice day out in the country and if you got something it was a bonus.

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2014, 06:06 AM
'alarming number of loaded FA'. Bit of spin there maybe? They state there were 5 cases as part of a campaign in reg 3 so I'm thinking they checked a lot of people. Did they check a hundred? 200? Still not cool tho I agree not necessarily from a safety point of view but it is a pretty key law here in BC I'm not sure why a few like to try to cheat it. I agree with Gate there's no real advantage to doing it. Even the dedicated road hunter can pop a magazine in or one or two in a top loader on the way out of the truck awful fast.

"As part of an impaired driving campaign, RCMP reported that 5 drivers out of 100 stopped were found shit-faced drunk and driving on the wrong side of the freeway."

Yeah, nothing to see here folks, no cause for alarm.

quadrakid
11-08-2014, 07:18 AM
The thing of it is you need to have the gun loaded so that when you see your prey you can shoot quickly OUT the window.

quadrakid
11-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Quickly shoot OUT the window

Vladimir Poutine
11-08-2014, 09:07 AM
COs here in R8 told me that they've seen a lot of loaded guns in vehicles too. Seemed like a large increase to them.

They also said they have stopped a pile of dope smokers too. Guns confiscated for 24 hours til ya sober up. Think about it before ya hit the pipe.

A bad byproduct of the increase of new hunters? I suppose there is a learning curve for the dumb that consider that loaded in a vehicle is "safe".

BearStump
11-08-2014, 09:56 AM
friend of mine got a 3" goose load through his left forearm because of careless handling in the truck.
he was parked right along the ditch on his passenger side. at the end of tge day he hopped in tge truck and fired it up. his buddy opened the passenger door put his hands on the seat to hop in with his shotgun still in hand. he slipped in the ditch, lost his footing and the shotgun went off. puting a 1.5 inch hole through the drivers forearm and blowing out the drivers window.
ouch!

Piperdown
11-08-2014, 10:01 AM
After he finished swearing at us for not stopping my 9500 lb trailer on snow within 100 feet ,all our guns were checked and ok'd.

Was he a bald younger guy??

Glassman
11-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I don't know what the big deal is? They do it all the time in Afganistan. Thousands and thousands of guys riding around standing in the back of the toyota p/u with their AK-47s. I think the answer is to practice riding around town with your best friend or some other 12 year old kid behind the steering wheel. Make sure you drive over the curb every-once-in-a-while with your finger on the trigger. With some practice you will get used to not shooting a round or two every time you hit a bump.

fuzzybiscuit
11-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Cops ride around every day with loaded guns in their rigs without incident.

1/2 slam
11-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Secured in holsters or brackets for the long guns....completely different.

Salty
11-08-2014, 11:18 AM
"As part of an impaired driving campaign, RCMP reported that 5 drivers out of 100 stopped were found shit-faced drunk "

Tuesday night in Rutland?

aggiehunter
11-08-2014, 11:47 AM
tag sharing prevails in the hunting fraternity...a rampant disease caused by greed...and many are at the show every year getting a belt buckle for that big buck that was tag shared.

J_T
11-08-2014, 01:23 PM
tag sharing prevails in the hunting fraternity...a rampant disease caused by greed...and many are at the show every year getting a belt buckle for that big buck that was tag shared.
Estar de acuerdo. Its easier to share tags when the animal is at long range.

Dannybuoy
11-08-2014, 01:29 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1563303#post1563303) "As part of an impaired driving campaign, RCMP reported that 5 drivers out of 100 stopped were found shit-faced drunk "

Tuesday night in Rutland?

Any night in Rutland !:-D

Gateholio
11-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Yes they do. And hunters all over the world do it too. Hunters in Canada think it's dangerous because they have been trained to believe there is no safe way to have loaded firearms in a vehicle. So there is no training, no discussion about it. Hunters that shoot themselves or others via loaded firearm in a vehicle are simply incompetent in that aspect of firearms handling.

Doesn't mean the practice is unsafe, just that the person does not know how to do it safely.

Papa Sasquatch
11-08-2014, 03:13 PM
It maybe morally wrong but it definitely is against the law if and when you get caught! Otherwise, be careful out there.

Drillbit
11-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes they do. And hunters all over the world do it too. Hunters in Canada think it's dangerous because they have been trained to believe there is no safe way to have loaded firearms in a vehicle. So there is no training, no discussion about it. Hunters that shoot themselves or others via loaded firearm in a vehicle are simply incompetent in that aspect of firearms handling.

Doesn't mean the practice is unsafe, just that the person does not know how to do it safely.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.

Not at all dangerous if you know how to, and properly handle a firearm.

Can't you have a loaded mag inserted and attached in the Yukon?

fuzzybiscuit
11-08-2014, 03:37 PM

That was exactly what I was getting at Gate. Pretty soon we'll all be thinking that in order to be safe our guns and ammo will need to be locked up separately from each other while we are driving around in the field.

What about shooting from a vehicle? It is my understanding that if you are crippled you can get a letter that allows you to shoot from a motorized vehicle. How does that letter make you any safer to shoot from a vehicle than it does a guy that doesn't have a letter? It doesn't and that person would still be handling a loaded firearm in the vehicle.

BEAVERBRUCE
11-08-2014, 03:56 PM
[.

Can't you have a loaded mag inserted and attached in the Yukon?[/QUOTE]

if a game warden stops you in a vehicle in the Yukon its ok to have a loaded gun. if the cops stop you it isn't same as anywhere else.

Gateholio
11-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Not sure what Yukon hunting regs say but it would be contrary to federal firearms law. Same for a handicap permit that allows shooting from a vehicle unless they get a special exemption from that, too.

Meanwhile hunters in the USA, Australia, New Zealsnd, Africa and Europe manage to transport loaded firearms. And Canadian prairie gopher shooters too;)

finngun
11-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Very good points from gatehause..can, t argue about those..besides i dont even wanna do it:mrgreen:

Vladimir Poutine
11-08-2014, 05:37 PM

What you think one way or another on this is irrelevant when it comes to BC. It's illegal.

The Hermit
11-08-2014, 05:53 PM
I personally know a cop that blew a hole in the roof of his squad car with the shotgun... shit happens and I'd rather not be around when it does.

yuriy
11-08-2014, 06:03 PM

The laws and rules are almost always dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator. Natural selection is no more.

nelsonob1
11-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Yes but it is illegal and unethical, and no amount of training will change that.

Gateholio
11-08-2014, 08:32 PM
What you think one way or another on this is irrelevant when it comes to BC. It's illegal.

It was established in post #1 that it was illegal. Whether you think it's irrelevant or not, discussion and sharing ideas on a website dedicated to conversation about topics like these is what HBC is all about.

The laws and rules are almost always dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator. Natural selection is no more.

It's been biting society in the ass for some time :)

Yes but it is illegal and unethical, and no amount of training will change that.

Illegal yes, unethical is up for debate. :)

nelsonob1
11-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Illegal yes, unethical is up for debate. :)

True. I take that part back.

Sofa King
11-08-2014, 08:52 PM

I hate when someone just wants to point out the law.
there's lots of laws that are downright stupid.
just because some suit passes a law, doesn't make it a good one.
we all know what the laws are, and the majority of us follow them as well, that still doesn't mean we have to like them or agree with them.

finngun
11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
sofa king---we all know what the laws are//// does all hunter knows all hunting and gunlaws??? i have little broblem to belive that...i have personally some problems with --not so clear hunting regs...:confused:

broncoo
11-08-2014, 10:05 PM
This stems direct from the problem of people taking pal and core without actually taking the course

Drillbit
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM

Finally, someone that gets "it".

The Nanny State is getting pretty sickening.

I'll agree that many gun owners aren't capable of properly or safely handling a loaded firearm, never-mind in a vehicle. But why can't the ones that are, be able to prove they are competent and be able to do so? Especially when it can be prescribed by a doctor?(not stabbing at the handicap permit, just saying there are people permitted to do it)

steel_ram
11-08-2014, 10:24 PM
I'll agree that many gun owners aren't capable of properly or safely handling a loaded firearm, never-mind in a vehicle. But why can't the ones that are, be able to prove they are competent and be able to do so? Especially when it can be prescribed by a doctor?(not stabbing at the handicap permit, just saying there are people permitted to do it)

How would we prove it? Everyone thinks they're awesome drivers, but the carnage on the highways proves otherwise.

.30-06 camsavbc
11-08-2014, 10:49 PM
When I started hunting in Alberta in the 90's where most of the hunters that I talked with on job sites (90% of guys hunted) would always talk about "hunting" from their truck. I was lucky to have a mentor and friend that taught me good ethics. He would not allow any rounds in the chamber or shooting from the truck.

I now keep my magazine and/or clip in the console with my firearms behind the seat. I hunt with my 12 year old son and want to pass on the good ethics I was taught. When we are finished hunting, my son also asks me to take out the bolt. I do this not because it is the law (I know it is not) but to support my son that an extra step towards safety is always a good idea.

A person must be pretty desperate to have to have their firearm loaded while they drive. Do they give enough time to make sure they know what is behind their target? Do they give enough time to properly identify their target? Impossible! These are the people that give the anti's fire power to lobby against hunting!

There would not be a need for regulation if people would follow basic firearm safety practices. Post their names, photos and trucks so the rest of us can stay clear!!! Fines will never work as those type of people brag about getting caught and think it makes them cool. Seizing their firearms and trucks would be an effective way to change their desperate lazy behavior. I have talked with a few hunters about this and I can say this time that it is not just my opinion!

Drillbit
11-08-2014, 11:01 PM
How would we prove it? Everyone thinks they're awesome drivers, but the carnage on the highways proves otherwise.

Why not have a course and a test? Much like the Black Badge course for handguns.

http://www.gunsite.com/main/ How about, go to the gunsight academy in the US as they don't have anything like it in Canada that I know of.

There are many people in Canada permitted to do it, why can't anybody get the training?

I honestly don't understand the opposition to more training and safer handling of firearms in Canada

okas
11-08-2014, 11:08 PM

Yes indeed ..one in when you are hunting wllgs and yote .
... In the real world

okas
11-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Dam big fingers
Wolfs & yote .
Soory ...

Sofa King
11-09-2014, 12:04 AM
the kind of dummies who would shoot there gun in their truck are the kind of dummies who would do this.
and laws on top of laws can't protect them from themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR4qDg0QGik&feature=player_embedded

Sofa King
11-09-2014, 12:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eTq8Qmshw&feature=player_embedded

Drillbit
11-09-2014, 12:24 AM
^Maa?? haha

And a "wizzard knife", really.....he'd be against a charged magazine attached to a rifle too

He should be issued a hand grenade.

JLsteel
11-09-2014, 12:48 PM
http://youtu.be/LBBni_-tMNs?t=21s (http://youtu.be/LBBni_-tMNs)

ruger#1
11-09-2014, 02:25 PM
He was a miserable SOB that day.. Sounds like the same one my boss ran into.My boss filmed the whole thing. And sent it to his fiend who is higher up. And I do believe that guy was delt with.

finngun
11-09-2014, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Drillbit;
I'll agree that many gun owners aren't capable of properly or safely handling a loaded firearm, never-mind in a vehicle. But why can't the ones that are, be able to prove they are competent and be able to do so? Especially when it can be prescribed by a doctor?(not stabbing at the handicap permit, just saying there are people permitted to do it)[/QUOTE]
and how we can fix that??? one way is spending many hours on the rifle range,,and know your gun..by shooting hundreds bullets thrugh it..not just 5-20 shots before hunting season..some hunters doesn't even do that.. sad:cry:

Big Lew
11-09-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm curious, why is it seemingly so important for some to be allowed to have a loaded gun in their vehicle?
Some argue that they are very experienced and treat guns with the utmost safety and respect and I can't argue or disagree with that point.
Is it purely because most people don't like to be confined by rules, especially ones that restrict their freedom
to do whatever they wish anyway they wish, or is there some other reason?

nelsonob1
11-09-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm curious, why is it seemingly so important for some to be allowed to have a loaded gun in their vehicle?
Some argue that they are very experienced and treat guns with the utmost safety and respect and I can't argue or disagree with that point.
Is it purely because most people don't like to be confined by rules, especially ones that restrict their freedom
to do whatever they wish anyway they wish, or is there some other reason?

I would like to understand this too.

Drillbit
11-09-2014, 08:08 PM
For me, I'm sick of the "Nanny State" and all the Rules and Laws in substitution of common sense for our Lowest Common Denominators.

Why do we have to be treated like that? And why can't we have the opportunity to prove we are capable of doing things instead of limiting Everyone?

You guy are OK with being treated like an Idiot? Really?

Guns, helmets, permits, driving, peanuts, registration, signs everwhere........"Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs?"

All in the guise of public safety, but really, for $$ and cushy job security from the people we "Elect"(the least amount of people didn't vote against them)

snakeplain
11-09-2014, 11:18 PM
you guys are worried about loaded guns in vehicles, check out the news and see those head on collisions lately resulting in many fatals, the cause of some of this highway carnage is the cell phone, texting, whatever, and who is doing anything about it, we have others that want to harm society by targeting the police, soldiers, society, the government had better start policing the more important things for all of us.

Singleshotneeded
11-10-2014, 01:13 AM
You forgot to mention that you need to exit the vehicle before you put the mag into the rifle.

I figured most people on here knew that already...:-) I was mentioning where to keep your rifle so it can be put into action asap...

Sofa King
11-10-2014, 01:18 AM
and how we can fix that??? one way is spending many hours on the rifle range,,and know your gun..by shooting hundreds bullets thrugh it..not just 5-20 shots before hunting season..some hunters doesn't even do that.. sad:cry:

bullshit.
shooting hundreds of bullets at the range doesn't make someone automatically a safer gun-handler.
one either has common-sense or they don't, it's as simple as that.
there's tons of idiots who go out and blast their guns at everything they can whenever they can.
none of that makes them a safer handler.
shooting hundreds of bullets would hopefully help one know all the limits and capabilities of how their firearm performs, but it does nothing to ensure they act safe when in the field.
it also does nothing to make them more capable of shooting an animal that they just jumped in the woods.
one has to practice shooting freehand and in real-life environments, not just pulling the trigger lots and lots of times on a gun bench at pre-marked distances.
and nothing at the range helps with buck-fever, one only finds that out when they are finally in that moment.

boxhitch
11-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Not bullshit .
He said it is 'one way ' and it is. Range time builds familiarity and builds habits like trigger finger position , muzzle direction , safety on-off , and verification . easy to practice shooting positions too.
Lots of good there.

caddisguy
11-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Sometimes I would like to keep a few rounds in the tube of my dominion grizzly compact while I'm in the jeep. It doubles at my tent.

It's not much different than a tent security wise. I've had paw prints on the soft window inches from where my head is when I sleep. Though when that happened, we were out on a hike.

While asleep in a vehicle, I wonder if it's storage or transport laws that apply? Guessing potentially both and up for a judge to decide.

fuzzybiscuit
11-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Not bullshit .
He said it is 'one way ' and it is. Range time builds familiarity and builds habits like trigger finger position , muzzle direction , safety on-off , and verification . easy to practice shooting positions too.
Lots of good there.

I like to practice leaning out the window with my rifle so I'll be ready when that monster truck buck jumps out.:)

finngun
11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
bullshit.
shooting hundreds of bullets at the range doesn't make someone automatically a safer gun-handler.
there's tons of idiots who go out and blast their guns at everything they can whenever they can.
shooting hundreds of bullets would hopefully help one know all the limits and capabilities of how their firearm performs, but it does nothing to ensure they act safe when in the field.
it also does nothing to make them more capable of shooting an animal that they just jumped in the woods.
one has to practice shooting freehand and in real-life environments, not just pulling the trigger lots and lots of times on a gun bench at pre-marked distances.
and nothing at the range helps with buck-fever, one only finds that out when they are finally in that moment.

i guess sofa king doesn't spend [waste] much time on the rifle range..some people were born rifle on the another hand ,,and pistol on the another..:mrgreen:

but one of the best sniper in this world --Simo Hayha over 500 confirmed kill in 100 days,,was asked how he became such exellend marksman?
his short answer was---practice,,practice,,practice...
i strongly belive that..:-?

howa1500
11-10-2014, 11:07 AM
bullshit.

Having been in the military and a RSO, I mostly agree with you.... Some people are naturals, most aren't. Practice does help EVERYONE though. But bench shooting at the range is not recreating hunting conditions. You need to practice from all non supported positions to be competent and confident in your shots. Also range time spent being unsafe with firearms builds bad muscle memory, I can't tell you how many times I've seen terrible firearms handling.
Also I've seen many NDs (negligent discharges) occur from highly trained soldiers within and around vehicles while practicing maneuvers.
If you role around with a loaded gun bumping in your truck without a proper rack its an issue.
I practice every year before hunting season putting the truck in park, unbuckling the seat belt, grabbing the rifle and loading a round, getting up on target as I leave the truck and firing a round, followed by a tactical reload of the rifle. I guarantee I am quicker than most, even if your rifle was loaded in the truck.
In fact I can reload single round tactically in my not action, and be on target faster than most guys with a lever gun (scoring good hits) but that is a function of practice.
Going back to common sense, cops and co's used to run with shotguns in their cars that had the trigger exposed, after years of ND's occurring with in their vehicles, they all are now loaded with their guns and triggers in guards... Why? Because even the "highly trained" can't overcome terrible common sense.

adriaticum
11-10-2014, 11:22 AM
i guess sofa king doesn't spend [waste] much time on the rifle range..some people were born rifle on the another hand ,,and pistol on the another..:mrgreen: but one of the best sniper in this world --Simo Hayha over 500 confirmed kill in 100 days,,was asked how he became such exellend marksman? his short answer was---practice,,practice,,practice... i strongly belive that..:-?

I agree with Sofa King.
Spending time at the range builds habits.
If you have good habits they are worth building.
If you have bad habits they are not worth building.
The most important thing about building a safe firearm handling habits is that first introduction to a firearm.
The guy who introduced you to a gun is 90 percent responsible for your firearms handling.
Some were lucky to have been in the army and introduced to weapons properly or by those who already handle guns safely.
And some were not.
But any bad habit can be corrected with right methods.
(Like beating the guy over the head with the gun if he points it at someone)

finngun
11-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Everykind gun handling practice is beneficial..and rifle range where im going you can practice any positions,, not only bench..and there are strict rules against fooling around with guns..
That,s very important,, because most shooters don, t have military training behind.. just core and pal,, rpal

adriaticum
11-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Everykind gun handling practice is beneficial..and rifle range where im going you can practice any positions,, not only bench..and there are strict rules against fooling around with guns..
That,s very important,, because most shooters don, t have military training behind.. just core and pal,, rpal

Practicing shooting positions doesn't help with safe gun handling. It improves accuracy.
I think you are mixing the two concepts.
Safe gun handling is everything else except the act of shooting.
It takes a transformation of awareness to be a safe gun handler for life.

Here is one tip.
Whenever possible use only one hand to handle the rifle.

Big Lew
11-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Having been in the military and a RSO, I mostly agree with you.... Some people are naturals, most aren't. Practice does help EVERYONE though. But bench shooting at the range is not recreating hunting conditions. You need to practice from all non supported positions to be competent and confident in your shots. Also range time spent being unsafe with firearms builds bad muscle memory, I can't tell you how many times I've seen terrible firearms handling.
Also I've seen many NDs (negligent discharges) occur from highly trained soldiers within and around vehicles while practicing maneuvers.
If you role around with a loaded gun bumping in your truck without a proper rack its an issue.
I practice every year before hunting season putting the truck in park, unbuckling the seat belt, grabbing the rifle and loading a round, getting up on target as I leave the truck and firing a round, followed by a tactical reload of the rifle. I guarantee I am quicker than most, even if your rifle was loaded in the truck.
In fact I can reload single round tactically in my not action, and be on target faster than most guys with a lever gun (scoring good hits) but that is a function of practice.
Going back to common sense, cops and co's used to run with shotguns in their cars that had the trigger exposed, after years of ND's occurring with in their vehicles, they all are now loaded with their guns and triggers in guards... Why? Because even the "highly trained" can't overcome terrible common sense.

Very good post! Well appreciated remarks from a 'real' professional.

Backwoodninjajunky
11-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Refs are regs is that hard follow?? some peoples kids haha

J_T
11-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Back to the original post.

A Crossbow, with string pulled back and held mechanically - with no bolt on the tray - is considered a loaded weapon. Sure see a lot of that on ATV's.

Deer_Slayer
11-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Risk of sounding racist. How many are Chinese hunters? I'm kinda sick of going into Italian sporting goods and seeing Chinese hunters who cannot speak a word of English buying hunting tags. These hunters can't even understand when the employee asks them what kind of tag they wish to purchase, and they have to call the Chinese guy to interpret. If they cannot even understand how to buy a tag, what species to buy for, how can they read regulations, laws, no trespass, no hunting signs? Am I "racist" to wonder this?

Sofa King
11-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Back to the original post.

A Crossbow, with string pulled back and held mechanically - with no bolt on the tray - is considered a loaded weapon. Sure see a lot of that on ATV's.

that's bullshit.
how is that a "loaded weapon"?
what can it do if fired?
that's like saying a lever gun with the hammer back is loaded.
or a bolt that's been engaged.
stupid regs made by suits.

Sofa King
11-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Risk of sounding racist. How many are Chinese hunters? I'm kinda sick of going into Italian sporting goods and seeing Chinese hunters who cannot speak a word of English buying hunting tags. These hunters can't even understand when the employee asks them what kind of tag they wish to purchase, and they have to call the Chinese guy to interpret. If they cannot even understand how to buy a tag, what species to buy for, how can they read regulations, laws, no trespass, no hunting signs? Am I "racist" to wonder this?

so, should a trophy hunter going to Africa have to learn Swahili?

Sofa King
11-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Not bullshit .
Lots of good there.

he suggested that shooting hundreds of bullets at the range makes someone safer than someone who only shoots 5-20 a season, or less.
that's bullshit.

David
11-10-2014, 02:43 PM
A loaded firearm in a vehicle is perfectly safe if you know what you are doing. All the COs that are checking for loaded firearms carry loaded firearms in their vehicles for instance.

That said, it's illegal and doesn't really increase your chances of killing an animal, so really no reason to do it.

My thoughts exactly... I really detest the fact that even if there is no round in the chamber, your gun is still considered "loaded". However, the law is the law on this one.

Me.

Sofa King
11-10-2014, 02:48 PM
I would like to understand this too.

I don't think it's so much that some think it "important" to be able to have a loaded gun in their vehicle.
but more that some are sick of regs atop regs being piled on us that are silly.
if someone is dumb enough to have a loaded gun in their truck without the safety on, then they are just as likely to be carrying that gun that same way while hiking/hunting with their buddy and following behind him with the barrel pointed at him.
common sense is what is needed to be enforced.

Deer_Slayer
11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
No. A trophy hunter will obviously be with a guide who knows the laws and probably can communicate the language. These guys are "resident hunters" and are legally allowed to hunt. Tell me. How in hell do they even pass CORE? How can they read the regulations re: closures, what is legal and illegal? Maybe just like drivers licenses, they pay someone to pass them. BC gov't was just boasting about the huge increase in hunting licenses sold. Guess who's buying them? Keep your head down in the woods when Wing Ghung and his buddies start rippin away. I was gona hunt with a Chinese guy and he bought a new rifle. He asked me if it was ok to sight his gun in along Hwy 3 on way to Princeton at 4:00 am! Needless to say he did not join us.

Singleshotneeded
11-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Canada should stop letting foreigners in that can't speak and write in English. You're absolutely right to question how these Asians follow our laws and regulations when they can't even understand our language! I haven't heard of a celestial lingo version of the regs in Cantonese and Mandarin orange lingo... :-D Sofa King, a hunter going to Africa goes to hunt and deals with a guide, the majority of whom speak English, the international language... These celestials come to our country and don't even try to learn our language!

Doostien
11-10-2014, 03:32 PM
No. A trophy hunter will obviously be with a guide who knows the laws and probably can communicate the language. These guys are "resident hunters" and are legally allowed to hunt. Tell me. How in hell do they even pass CORE? How can they read the regulations re: closures, what is legal and illegal? Maybe just like drivers licenses, they pay someone to pass them. BC gov't was just boasting about the huge increase in hunting licenses sold. Guess who's buying them? Keep your head down in the woods when Wing Ghung and his buddies start rippin away. I was gona hunt with a Chinese guy and he bought a new rifle. He asked me if it was ok to sight his gun in along Hwy 3 on way to Princeton at 4:00 am! Needless to say he did not join us.

Its the same as with the PAL. People just learn what answers they need and spew them out on their test. As soon as they finish that test they forget them, as they never actually learned anything. That or they know and say something like "This only applies to people who aren't as smart as me".

J_T
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM
that's bullshit.
how is that a "loaded weapon"?
what can it do if fired?
that's like saying a lever gun with the hammer back is loaded.
or a bolt that's been engaged.
stupid regs made by suits.

Well, you are entitled to your frustration. However Schedule C, page 15:
25. to carry a cocked crossbow in or on a vehicle, or to discharge a bow from a vehicle of any kind

Nothing about a bolt. Simply that a cocked crossbow in or on a vehicle is considered a loaded weapon. And to my point - which you validate - you'd be surprised at the number of hunters who don't know that. As I said, we see it all the time.

I don't think it's like a lever gun with the hammer back being considered loaded. Besides, it's in the regs. Be aware.....

11-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Not to Bring up OLD OPINIONS but many here on this site thinks its safe and OK to Drive around on Quads with a loaded gun too. Them and any body in or on motorized vehicles should be CHARGED.

And thats that !

J_T
11-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Canada should stop letting foreigners in that can't speak and write in English. You're absolutely right to question how these Asians follow our laws and regulations when they can't even understand our language! I haven't heard of a celestial lingo version of the regs in Cantonese and Mandarin orange lingo... :-D Sofa King, a hunter going to Africa goes to hunt and deals with a guide, the majority of whom speak English, the international language... These celestials come to our country and don't even try to learn our language! Well, come on. I know people who are a lot more intelligent than we are, but don't speak English at all. For the most part 'people' on here or in society, operate at a grade 6 education level. Do we think that's 'smart enough'. I find grammar and spelling on this site appalling, and there is no reason for it. There are so many tools and ways today to educate and understand, even things like another language. When I step back and re-read the comment, I see you are making a comment more about stupidity than a language statement. If you want to participate in something governed in law, it is your responsibility to know the law. Language is not an excuse. It's up to enforcement to ensure compliance is met.

adriaticum
11-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Well, come on. I know people who are a lot more intelligent than we are, but don't speak English at all. For the most part 'people' on here or in society, operate at a grade 6 education level. Do we think that's 'smart enough'. I find grammar and spelling on this site appalling, and there is no reason for it. There are so many tools and ways today to educate and understand, even things like another language. When I step back and re-read the comment, I see you are making a comment more about stupidity than a language statement. If you want to participate in something governed in law, it is your responsibility to know the law. Language is not an excuse. It's up to enforcement to ensure compliance is met.

No Canada should let more non English speaking people so the government can come up with more ESL programs to spend your money on.
You should reread your comment again and laugh too.

J_T
11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
No Canada should let more non English speaking people so the government can come up with more ESL programs to spend your money on.
You should reread your comment again and laugh too. Sorry, I don't see it. There really isn't anything funny about someone saying our immigration laws should restrict access.

adriaticum
11-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Sorry, I don't see it. There really isn't anything funny about someone saying our immigration laws should restrict access.

The way i see it you said the exact opposite.

J_T
11-10-2014, 05:17 PM
The way i see it you said the exact opposite.
Yah, I don't think so. However, you do identify the biggest issue with the internet. Probably 80% of what is typed (poorly typed) is misinterpreted by the many.

finngun
11-10-2014, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=Sofa King;1564168]that's bullshit.

funny:mrgreen:[ kind] every time when somebody dosen't agree what you are saying ,,you answer is always same:cry:
so,,according you story... guess if you are spotter for marksman,,you rather take marksman as you partner who only shoots ,,practice,,only 20-50shots a year
do you feel safer then? than with somebody who shots hundreds or thousands rounds per year? [you logic..not mine.]

Argue that if you can..,,,,,but one of the best sniper in this world --Simo Hayha over 500 confirmed kill in 100 days,,was asked how he became such exellend marksman?
his short answer was---practice,,practice,,practice..:mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
11-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Estar de acuerdo. Its easier to share tags when the animal is at long range.

Nah, it's easier when the animal runs away with an arrow in it and takes an hour or so to die. Buddy has lots of time to text his wife to punch her tag and get her ass out here. Moreover, the silence of the arrow being released doesn't attract the prying eyes of other hunters, compared to the rifle shot.

J_T
11-11-2014, 06:17 AM
Nah, it's easier when the animal runs away with an arrow in it and takes an hour or so to die. Buddy has lots of time to text his wife to punch her tag and get her ass out here. Moreover, the silence of the arrow being released doesn't attract the prying eyes of other hunters, compared to the rifle shot. Nice. Another low blow from a low brow. It surprises me with all the time you spend following me around on here and reading my comments you still don't get it. What I meant was, when it's close range it's more personal. Did I make a comment about weapon choice?

Cookie1965
11-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Watching North Woods Law on TV right now, the COs are setting decoys to catch bird hunters shooting from their trucks. In one scene you see the truck window go down and the barrel stick out, now that gives road hunting a bad name lol.

Spy
11-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Yah, I don't think so. However, you do identify the biggest issue with the internet. Probably 80% of what is typed (poorly typed) is misinterpreted by the many.

Nah, it's easier when the animal runs away with an arrow in it and takes an hour or so to die. Buddy has lots of time to text his wife to punch her tag and get her ass out here. Moreover, the silence of the arrow being released doesn't attract the prying eyes of other hunters, compared to the rifle shot.

Sounds like you are a pro ;-)

Schutzen
11-11-2014, 02:08 PM

LOL..nope they have their share of AD's they just don't report them to the public.

In buildings, cars, boats, etc.

Back of the prisoners head in a jail cell...

They aint saints they just don't let that info out to public generally.

Or the time when they moored a RCMP vessel in the Fraser R. and took off leaving it unattended.
When they came back they found it broke into and all the firearms on board stolen.

Carrollizer
05-14-2019, 05:24 PM
So are you allowed to drive with an unrestricted firearm/hunting rifle while road hunting?
I usually have a loaded detachable magazine out of the rifle, and rifle on the passenger seat ready to go
is this allowed/legal?

Wild one
05-14-2019, 05:28 PM
So are you allowed to drive with an unrestricted firearm/hunting rifle while road hunting?
I usually have a loaded detachable magazine out of the rifle, and rifle on the passenger seat ready to go
is this allowed/legal?

As long as it’s unloaded you are legal

Carrollizer
05-14-2019, 05:30 PM
As long as it’s unloaded you are legal
Yeah I figured. Just wanted to make sure. Breech open and unloaded. Magazine loaded but out of rifle. Usually in cup holder.
Heading to Squamish valley this weekend for yogi. Figured the COs would be around so just making sure

Wild one
05-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Yeah I figured. Just wanted to make sure. Breech open and unloaded. Magazine loaded but out of rifle. Usually in cup holder.
Heading to Squamish valley this weekend for yogi. Figured the COs would be around so just making sure

Dont need your breech open if you choose not to

jtred
05-14-2019, 05:39 PM
In conversations with our local CO(great guy) he's also said that using any part of the vehicle(quad/truck/etc) as a rest is also illegal.

Wild one
05-14-2019, 05:46 PM
In conversations with our local CO(great guy) he's also said that using any part of the vehicle(quad/truck/etc) as a rest is also illegal.

Yes law is no loaded firearms in or on a vehicle. People have been ticketed for learning a loaded firearm against their truck

fuzzybiscuit
05-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Yes law is no loaded firearms in or on a vehicle. People have been ticketed for learning a loaded firearm against their truck

Is that in just hunting instances or for all sport shooting?

Wild one
05-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Is that in just hunting instances or for all sport shooting?

Firearms law not a hunting regulation

Carrollizer
05-14-2019, 06:13 PM
So basically if you have a firearm in or on your vehicle it has to be unloaded. Regardless if hunting or sport/target shooting.
Got it

Wild one
05-14-2019, 06:14 PM
So basically if you have a firearm in or on your vehicle it has to be unloaded. Regardless if hunting or sport/target shooting.
Got it

Yes that’s how it works

Gateholio
05-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Yes, if you are resting the firearm on the vehicle or you are standing in or on the vehicle. If both your feet are on the ground and you are resting your elbows on the truck while you shoot, you are legal.

MOOSE MILK
05-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Just proves that we CANADIANS are too stupid to be able to handle firearms like our smarter AMERICAN friends. Who are much more adept at handling all sorts of firearms. They can shoot em off ATVs run with them loaded and they are so much smarter than us Canuks caus they can also carry handguns loaded on their person, in a vehicle, to restaurants, and hunting.
Dam I wish we were smart as em!

Huevos
05-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Ja thats just dumb! You gotta be a complete fool to drive with a loaded rifle. Unbelievable !!!

Or you could just be an American...... just sayin..... Pretty common, and legal in a lot of states. I do agree with you though. not the smartest thing to do.

browningboy
05-14-2019, 09:35 PM
I get running around with a loaded weapon is a faux pau, but your taking a shot from a vehicle, outside, from unloaded to loaded outside and resting on the hood or whatever, seems fine to me, what’s the diff from parking and leaning on a tree or log?
Just seems silly but may be more behind it

caddisguy
05-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Totally illegal in Canada, but there is zero safety risk in driving around with an open bolt action with the magazine already inserted, a pump shotty with the mag tube loaded but nothing in the chamber, or semi with a loaded mag an action closed. No amount of bouncing around in that car is going to jack one in, lock the bolt, pump the shotty, cycle the semi and pull the trigger. That is all nanny state stuff. Lazy way to write laws at the least. Fair chase issue under the Wildlife Act at best, but it's not. It's a federal transport law under the Firearms Act in the name of safety which is bogus.

As far as shooting off a vehicle, whether it's just elbows or not, the reality is that aspects are either undefined or open to interpretation, so it is up to the CO whether you are charged and up to the judge if you are convicted. If there is already case law on the books (I have no idea) that might influence judges decisions to a degree.

Never shot anything other than birds from a road, but we keep our shooting sticks tucked between the seat and doors (drivers and passenger side) in the event a rest is ever needed. Much more versatile than relying on figuring out the best part of the truck to prop elbows on anyway. No need to risk anything over having a rest that way :)

Deer_Slayer
08-06-2019, 01:36 PM
How many of them can't speak or read English?

twoSevenO
08-06-2019, 01:45 PM
How many of them can't speak or read English?

Asking the important questions!!

Hahah

Downtown
08-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Obviously you did forget to tell the CO that the conversation will be recorded for Safety & Educational purposes.

Cheers

Downtown
08-06-2019, 02:41 PM
That was exactly what I was getting at Gate. Pretty soon we'll all be thinking that in order to be safe our guns and ammo will need to be locked up separately from each other while we are driving around in the field.

What about shooting from a vehicle? It is my understanding that if you are crippled you can get a letter that allows you to shoot from a motorized vehicle. How does that letter make you any safer to shoot from a vehicle than it does a guy that doesn't have a letter? It doesn't and that person would still be handling a loaded firearm in the vehicle.

Good Point !

Cheers

limit time
08-06-2019, 03:23 PM
I’d drive with a loaded gun if it was legal.

Piperdown
08-07-2019, 06:06 AM
Obviously you did forget to tell the CO that the conversation will be recorded for Safety & Educational purposes.

Cheers

Sounds like the CO Jeff Palm from Burns Lake, young guy, real short hair probably had his hand on his holster when walking up to your truck too.....

Mountainman1
08-11-2019, 12:21 PM
If people are driving with a loaded gun they are most likely shooting out the window to...

boxhitch
08-11-2019, 07:05 PM
tough to do without spilling a drink

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Sounds like the CO Jeff Palm from Burns Lake, young guy, real short hair probably had his hand on his holster when walking up to your truck too.....

Don't know about him.
Have heard of one CO (who I have met and seemed very nice at the time albeit he was with other CO's and one I knew), who some other
hunters were complaining that he was approaching hunters with one hand pretty much on the grip.

Hard to say these days if I was a CO if I would feel that way or be old school and think the best of people before hand???

Squamch
08-11-2019, 09:39 PM
If people are driving with a loaded gun they are most likely shooting out the window to...

Nah, too damn loud.

Redthies
08-12-2019, 03:21 AM
Hunters were complaining that he was approaching hunters with one hand pretty much on the grip.

Hard to say these days if I was a CO if I would feel that way or be old school and think the best of people before hand???

If I were a CO, I think I’d be very wary of approaching a group of hillbillies holding loaded guns. As much as we law abiding hunters think they are a pain in the butt, COs are often facing armed law breakers. They are far more likely to get in to unpleasant situations, and very often are alone and way beyond range of any backup

303savage
08-12-2019, 05:59 AM
If you're road hunting I hunt moose, deer, bears ETC, but have never hunted a road :-)

Mosin
08-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Yes I agree

Bugle M In
08-12-2019, 12:07 PM
If I were a CO, I think I’d be very wary of approaching a group of hillbillies holding loaded guns. As much as we law abiding hunters think they are a pain in the butt, COs are often facing armed law breakers. They are far more likely to get in to unpleasant situations, and very often are alone and way beyond range of any backup
Yup, cant be fun showing up at a camp in the middle of nowhere alone and everyone knowing your their to check etc.
I know around Cache Creek last year or so a young CO from Lillooet dropped by our camp.
Was already long dark and getting late and was on his way home after a long day already.
Great guy and have to admit, that cant cant be fun to do the late and dark already, alone.

604Stalker
08-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Worst call you can make if your excited and grabbing it quick takes 5 seconds to pop a mag and jack a round never really understood why people would risk deafness and a hole through the floor or rad have fun and be safe!