PDA

View Full Version : Finally something for the freezer

Everett
11-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Well its been a pretty crappy season so far for us as far as the freezer goes. We got skunked on our fly in, I than went to work for the first two weeks of Elk season. Than when I got home I had to put my dog (Bushmill) down on our first weekend to hunt which took the life out of me and robbed my enjoyment from hunting he had been my main hunting partner for 11 years. Than when we got back in gear in late October the wife missed an easy shot on a spike moose which had her thinking of stopping hunting. So this week I kicked myself in the ass and started hunting Mule Deer.

The morning was wet and cold when Jamie and I loaded up I decided to take a rifle I had given to wife because I built a new one for myself last winter but it was super lucky for me last year and the new one hasn't had the same luck.
When I got to my first glassing spot Jamie stuck her nose out of the truck and decided to stay in the truck nothing was seen there except a 3x2 that is an old friend. I than burnt off 2 more hours of nothing than finally I glass deer way up in a cut not knowing if there was buck I start hiking in the pissing rain and wind, 20min later I can see the group a 2x2 immediately busts me at 300 yards. There is 9 deer I can't believe he is the buck when the real guy presents himself I try to get a sight picture but my breathing from the hike and my dodgy heart has the rifle bouncing around than he disappears into the trees.
I head off in hot pursuit over the top after being busted 3 times I finally have the shot when I realize there is doe standing right behind him so I hold fire (bucks don't have 8 legs) and he walks deeper into the timber I swear and he turns to tell the 2 point to screw off and gives me a 8 inch opening between the trees and the rifle barks.
Than the search begins I can't find blood or any sign of a hit I catch up with the group of deer 10 mins later and there is no 4point so I turn around and start scouring the timber and I find him 200 yards down hill on the wrong side off the hill double lunged and dead as door nail.
Cut my tag gut him than hike back to the truck drive around the mountain than Jamie and I hike up from the other side. She finds him and I start the drag an hour later he is in the truck and I am headed home finally with some meat for my empty freezer which only has two Caribou roast left in it.

For the gun geeks its a custom Remington M7 in 270wsm shooting 150gr Interbonds. I have shot this rifle 4 times in the field in 2 years and have a Caribou, Moose, Whitetail and a Mule for my trouble I think its lucky might have to repossess it from the wife..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF1853.JPG

Sofa King
11-06-2014, 06:44 PM
sounds like a great hunt that was.
and a beauty buck for your efforts.
your dog looks like it's not letting that buck get away.

boxhitch
11-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Funny how a little success can turn the sunshine on. Attago

Ranger95
11-06-2014, 06:50 PM
I think I'm going to pack my boomer up and send him to his mum for lessons ...... Nice buck Grant.

Josh

d6dan
11-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Nice buck Everett. Sorry for your loss of a hunting buddy. thanks for the story and pic..

Rhyno
11-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice buck Grant, congrats. Sorry to hear about Bushmill.

I was starting to wonder why you haven't posted any stories.

Rattler
11-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Nice buck, hope to do the same tmrw.

srupp
11-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Hmmm sorry about your loss of your 4 legged hunting partner
CONGRADULATIONS..on your deer
Cheers
Steven

Everett
11-06-2014, 07:41 PM
I think I'm going to pack my boomer up and send him to his mum for lessons ...... Nice buck Grant.

Josh

Mom would probably kick the shit out of him than refuse to send him back she hates all dogs except heelers and seems to know her own pups when she runs into them.

Everett
11-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Nice buck Grant, congrats. Sorry to hear about Bushmill.

I was starting to wonder why you haven't posted any stories.

Its been a crappy season Ryan but I am back in the saddle now so the deer should be scared.:-D

11-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Nice buck! sorry to hear about your lose. I had to put both my 4 legged buddies down this year and know how long it takes to get your self out of the dumps and back on the trail. Take Care

.264winmag
11-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Nice work! Keep at er it's good for the healing.

pnbrock
11-06-2014, 09:14 PM
nice deer you got there,sorry about your partner.

Trojans16
11-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Way to get back in the saddle and get a nice buck down. Good luck on the next hunt.

Rackmastr
11-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Congrats dude!

Stéphane
11-06-2014, 10:51 PM
That's the feel story of the season for me. So happy you finally got some good news coming your way, especially after losing your dog. It must have felt so empty for you guys.

So, congrats on the great shot, and hope the sun keeps shinning for you and your family.

spear
11-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Heelers only ever like their own. Sorry to hear about bushmill, nice to see someone is finding good four points in the kootneys.

hold on to that rifle, might be a lucky piece

kennyj
11-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Nice buck! Good luck in reg 3.
kenny

huntinnut
11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Nice buck!

Karl.

gwillim
11-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Nice photo of your pooch with the buck. Looks a little soggy!

lightmag
11-07-2014, 10:02 PM
meat in the freezer!!! yum, great job

HuntNmemories
11-08-2014, 10:15 AM
determination paid off for you, great buck, sorry to hear about putting your dog down

Spirit's Master
11-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Sad story, followed by a nice story. That's the way life should go for all of us.

Great animal x2.

cwf

HarryToolips
11-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Way to go nice buck!

yuriy
11-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Nice buck! Great little story, too.

Somewhat unrelated question: any fears of another hunter mistaking your dog for something else and taking a shot at it? I've got a dog myself (GSD) and while I don't plan to bring her hunting any time soon, this is a thought that had occurred to me. But I might be overthinking things...

fester
11-08-2014, 06:16 PM
great buck!!

Everett
11-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Nice buck! Great little story, too.

Somewhat unrelated question: any fears of another hunter mistaking your dog for something else and taking a shot at it? I've got a dog myself (GSD) and while I don't plan to bring her hunting any time soon, this is a thought that had occurred to me. But I might be overthinking things...

Someone starts shooting at my dog she will shoot back she is serious sharp shooter:-D. She doesn't stray far from the heal she is a healer after all.

MuleyMan95
11-13-2014, 12:28 AM
That's a nice lookin' Muley! Congrats

hunter1947
11-13-2014, 05:40 AM
That,s a dandy deer will go a long ways for meat in the freezer ,thanks for the nice story and thanks for posting up your picture of the mule deer ,,congrats to you..