PDA

View Full Version : washing a down sleeping bag?

wos
11-05-2014, 10:10 PM
At the end of this season I will need to wash my sleeping bag for the first time. With past bags Ive followed the washing instructions but It seems to mark the beginning of the end for the bag. They never fluff up as nice start loosing there loft, the feathers clump, or migrate to parts of the bag that you don't need them. So what do you guys do ant tips or tricks to keeping my bag like new or is it the end and i should start saving?

tomahawk
11-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Dry clean it, don't wet wash!!

Quesnel Kid
11-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Front load washing machine us nikwax down was. To dry best to use a front load drier but no critical put a few tennis balls in with it to prevent the down from clumping, put it in there for about an hour. Hang to finish drying. Should be better then new and not smell like your feet. I use a silk liner in my bag this keeps your body oils out of the down and extends the life of your bag.

QK

eastkoot
11-06-2014, 06:35 AM
x2 on the dry cleaning ONLY..

Ranger95
11-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Front load washing machine us nikwax down was. To dry best to use a front load drier but no critical put a few tennis balls in with it to prevent the down from clumping, put it in there for about an hour. Hang to finish drying. Should be better then new and not smell like your feet. I use a silk liner in my bag this keeps your body oils out of the down and extends the life of your bag.

QK

What he said - remember the tennis balls :-D

the he silk liner works on all sleeping bags - easier to wash and keeps the bag fresh!

2chodi
11-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Some info from a well-know manufacturer:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=product-tips-and-care

lovemywinchester
11-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I just washed a few (non-down) sleeping bags in the industrial washer at the laundry near my place. I'm always amazed, and grossed out, at how dirty the water is when washing sleeping bags. Its amazing what you can sleep in when you are hammered, which is generally the case if I am in a sleeping bag.

d6dan
11-06-2014, 08:29 AM
X3 on the Nikiwax. Don't dry clean down. It ruins it.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-06-2014, 08:33 AM
What kind of bag is it??
Found washing instructions for my bag online........

Why do we encourage proper care of our clothing and gear?
Because you have invested in (or are thinking about investing in) one of the most technically advanced pieces of apparel or equipment you'll ever own and we want to make sure you have the information you need to protect and care for your purchase. Proper care assures you will optimize the performance of your Marmot product and maximize its service-life.
Sleeping Bag Care

Hand wash warm, 105 degrees Fahrenheit or 40 degrees Celsius or machine wash Warm, Gentle cycle in a front load washer only.
If you need to use a detergent, only use powdered form
Rinse thoroughly
Do not wring your sleeping bag
Hang dry or tumble dry on low heat. If tumble drying a down bag, toss a couple of clean tennis balls in the dryer to help re-loft the bag
After your bag is dry, store in a loose storage container. Cotton or mesh stuff sacks or extra-large pillow cases work well
Do not store in a space where temperatures could exceed 125 degree Fahrenheit
Do not bleach
Do not iron
Do not dry clean

wlbc
11-06-2014, 09:07 AM
At the end of this season I will need to wash my sleeping bag for the first time. With past bags Ive followed the washing instructions but It seems to mark the beginning of the end for the bag. They never fluff up as nice start loosing there loft, the feathers clump, or migrate to parts of the bag that you don't need them. So what do you guys do ant tips or tricks to keeping my bag like new or is it the end and i should start saving?

Hmmm, interesting thread. I'll share what I've been doing for the last 40 years with my down bags.

I fill the bathtub with luke warm water and add a gentle detergent like "Zero" (it's meant for washing wool and delicates).

I gently work the bag in and manipulate the material in a gentle scrubbing action all over. This takes awhile and one notices the water starting to discolour. I'm assuming this is the bits of dirt, skin, and oils it has picked up.

Then I drain the tub and gently press as much water as possible out.

Then, I refill with luke warm water only. Again, I gently work the bag in and manipulate the material in a gentle scrubbing action all over. This is to remove the greater part of the residual soap.

Then I drain the tub and gently press as much water as possible out.

I may repeat the rinse step depending on the color of the water.

Then I will take it out and hang it where any remaining water can drip out and the sun and wind can get at it.

I usually do this in the spring or fall so that I can have sun and wind. Barring that I have hung them downstairs with a little ceramic heater in the area and a circulating fan blowing the warm air on the bag. This also works but one needs a utility area in a basement to do this.

I dislike clothes dryers for down. I see too much down in the filter of the clothes dryer regardless of how it is set.

Then they are stored loosely place in large breathable sacks I bought from MEC many years ago.

The bags are: a Fairy Down, Everest, a Woods 5 Star canvas bag, and a bag similar to the Woods but labeled as a `Polar`.

I have never experienced any clumping of the down or serious detrimental effects that I can see from cleaning them this way. It is time consuming and physical but as these were all expensive bags in their day I feel the extra effort has been worth it.

Hope this helps.

brian
11-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Front load washing machine us nikwax down wash. To dry best to use a front load drier but no critical put a few tennis balls in with it to prevent the down from clumping, put it in there for about an hour. Hang to finish drying. Should be better then new and not smell like your feet. I use a silk liner in my bag this keeps your body oils out of the down and extends the life of your bag.

Do this! Jut use the lowest heat setting you have in your drier, the tennis ball will break up the clumps and refluff it. You can do the same to old compressed bags to try and regain fluff.

hotstuff
11-07-2014, 10:53 AM
I also use the bathtub method, and the air dry, but be careful they get heavy and you don't want to tear the internal threads from the weight pulling on it.

dabber
11-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I remember my mom putting a clean running shoe in the dryer, the bags always came out nice and puffy.

boxhitch
11-07-2014, 07:08 PM
And then store it un-compressed , laid out flat under the bed is best

troutseeker
11-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Never dry clean it! Use down wash and a front load washer, I do an extra rise cycle. Then in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls. Work like a hot damn, every time

Foxton Gundogs
11-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Never dry clean it! Use down wash and a front load washer, I do an extra rise cycle. Then in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls. Work like a hot damn, every time

An old sneaker or 2 works well for fluffing as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-08-2014, 01:25 PM
An old sneaker or 2 works well for fluffing as well.

My old sneakers smell like the footbed in my backpack sleeping bag....which is why I would be washing it in the first place.
Downright nasty.:-?

Foxton Gundogs
11-08-2014, 05:20 PM
My old sneakers smell like the footbed in my backpack sleeping bag....which is why I would be washing it in the first place.
Downright nasty.:-?

That's OK all my tennis balls are covered with dog slobber lol