PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a license

bmynbr
11-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Just wondering if I need a license to hunt since I am a status indian. I have never tried hunting, and am not sure if it for me. If I don't, I would love to try it without spending the time and money on the core course just to find out I don't like it. If I do like it I would definetly take the course regardless if I needed it so that I would feel more comfortable hunting by myself. I would be going with very experienced hunters for my first time.
thanks, Dave

p.s. I read the info in the synopsis, but to me it didn't definitely say no licenses off of traditionally hunted areas, I also don't know what a traditionally hunted area is

finngun
11-05-2014, 09:56 PM
well Jelvis know for sure...:mrgreen: we have to digg him up..or something:confused:

scoutlt1
11-05-2014, 09:58 PM
well Jelvis know for sure...:mrgreen: we have to digg him up..or something:confused:

If anyone knows, Jelvis knows.... :)

broncoo
11-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Traditional areas are where your band historically harvested animals, if you wish to go elsewhere your supposed to get permission from the local band to hunt there traditional areas, anywhere else and you need a licence. Any leh animals must be applied for same as everyone else

Squirrelnuts
11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
If you're not in your traditional territory you don't need a license BUT you do have to follow the regs for the region you're in. (That includes LEH, etc).

Squirrelnuts
11-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Further: (from http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/recreation/aboriginal.htm )

Indians who are residents of British Columbia are not required to obtain any type of hunting licence under the Wildlife Act.

Indians who are residents of B.C. and wish to hunt outside their traditionally-used areas must do so in accordance with the Hunting Regulations. This includes making application for a LEH authorization via the LEH draw. If an individual is in doubt regarding a traditional hunting area or practice, they should be in contact with the appropriate First Nations officials and the regional Wildlife Program staff to discuss specific situations.

huntcoop
11-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Yes you need a license, your not special.

Jagermeister
11-05-2014, 10:54 PM
hook, line and sinker!!!!!

burger
11-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Ibtl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adriaticum
11-05-2014, 11:24 PM
I don't believe status Indians need a license.
If hunting is the same as fishing, you have to obey all the regulations just as anyone else but you do not need to buy any licenses.
But the best bet is to check with reg website.

bmynbr
11-05-2014, 11:41 PM
"Indians who are residents of B.C. and wish to hunt outside their traditionally-used areas must do so in accordance with the Hunting Regulations". This is what I wasn't sure about. Wasn't sure if that meant I needed a license. I know I need to apply for leh's

Thanks for the replies guys

adriaticum
11-05-2014, 11:44 PM
"Indians who are residents of B.C. and wish to hunt outside their traditionally-used areas must do so in accordance with the Hunting Regulations". This is what I wasn't sure about. Wasn't sure if that meant I needed a license. I know I need to apply for leh's

Thanks for the replies guys

What that means is that if you are hunting outside of your band's reserve land you have obey all hunting regulations in terms of seasons, bag limits, hunting private property etc.
But in any case I don't think you need to buy a license.

bmynbr
11-05-2014, 11:57 PM
That's how I read it too. Tried calling the c.o., but the person they transferred me to never phoned back.

Bag1
11-06-2014, 12:38 AM
my hunting partner is status Indian and he has his core and resident hunters card but is not required to purchase a hunting license or tags.
but still must obey by all other regs with regards to bag limits, LEH, seasons ect....

boxhitch
11-06-2014, 06:30 AM
exactly what the Initiation License was created for , for someone to get out and try hunting before going through the rest of the red tape .

M.Dean
11-06-2014, 06:37 AM
A Status Indian does not need a license, but in order to buy bullets you'll need a Pal. What band are you a member of, if I may ask?

BULLNUTTS
11-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Jus some friendly advice here for you- As the sport your interested in has manny varried skill sets, there is much to learn in becoming a succesfull hunter.Understood is that you wish to " test" the inner desire to see if persueing this is your passion or not.With that in mind,The very best advice I would offer you is this-Find and obtain a copy of the core manual[even if you buy a new copy they are not expencive] take the time to read about the sport your getting into.In that book is tons of diff info from tracking n trailin,identifying game species and reading some sign[there is lots of pics showing the animals and the tracks they have],explanations of habitats and hunt methods,field dressing your game and caring for the meat,but also are such things as fire arms safty procedures and proper handling,plus too are lessons of the "abc's" of bush survival should they be needed too with emergency fire making and signal fires,making survival camp in the bush ect plus way more info than can be told here..In this way you may self educate yourself so when going with your partners on expeditions you are not only able to better understand whats happening, as hunts take place, but also will be better recieved and respected for undertaking the efforts to learn somethings about hunting.Also on the plus side, for those taking you out, they will be able to teach you "more" about "the hunt" instead of as much time in the "abc" dept yes.Its a fun interesting book to read.Good luck to you an Good Huntin BULLNUTTS

bmynbr
11-06-2014, 08:53 AM
A Status Indian does not need a license, but in order to buy bullets you'll need a Pal. What band are you a member of, if I may ask?
I do have my Rpal, and my band is lax-kw'alaams

bullnuts
i couldn't agree more for 20 bucks I will definitely buy the manual. That's part of the reason I didn't go with them last month, because I wanted to educate myself first

boxhitch
i understand there is an initiation license, but again why spend the money if I'm not required to

thanks for all the replays guys

timbermilton
11-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Just cover all the angles, go through core course(gain knowledge), Take the firearms course(again gain knowledge), buy license and tags(helps with conservation), go hunt like the rest of us do. easy peasy.

emerson
11-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Call the band office to see what they say, and go the the CO's office and talk with one. There are some haters around, but life is too short to debate everyone.

Sleep Robber
11-06-2014, 12:46 PM
This is what I know,

My wife is a Status Indian, she is Nisga'a and her traditional hunting grounds are around the Nass River valley area. She doesn't need any license whatsoever to hunt there, no core, no pal, no leh, no hunters # card, not anything.

BUT !!

If she were to hunt, say in the Williams Lake area, she would have to get permission from the band council up there {not just the chief} and also get a hold of that regions CO and tell them of her "plan" to hunt that area. The CO will notify her of what is available to harvest and what is off limits. Then she has the option of hunting or not, but not until all that is taken care of.

She has to abide by "all" the "hunting regs" if hunting Crown Land, but she does not need a PAL to carry or transport her firearms.

When it comes to sport fishing, she does not need to purchase a "non- tidal" license, BUT, she does need to purchase a "tidal license"

What I also know and truly love her for is that although she doesn't need to spend the money on any of these licenses etc etc....she chooses do to so anyway.

She has taken her CORE, she has taken her PAL, she has her hunters # card, and she buys a hunting license every year, along with the appropriate tags for the animals she wants to harvest.

She does this as she feels the need to give back to the sport she loves to enjoy as well as being an essential key in keeping up our traditions as ethical sportsmen/women.

She also lives "off" the Rez and pays her taxes every year {she's actually a government employee}.

When she goes fishing she uses a single barbless hook too !!:-D

Getbent
11-06-2014, 05:22 PM
WTF....troll....

Sleep Robber
11-06-2014, 06:14 PM
^^ You got a problem boy ??

bmynbr
11-06-2014, 08:34 PM
She has to abide by "all" the "hunting regs" if hunting Crown Land, but she does not need a PAL to carry or transport her firearms.

I know you said she has her pal, and she does need it to own or transport firearms

olympia
11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Yes you need a license, your not special.he is asking an honest question and trying to do things right...you didnt need to add in "your not special", but i guess you just are a dick

bmynbr
11-06-2014, 09:17 PM
he is asking an honest question and trying to do things right...you didnt need to add in "your not special", but i guess you just are a dick

Thanks, didn't want to have to ask here, but couldn't find a definitive answer in the synopsis. I new it would bring out the native haters. Its funny how some people find out you have a status card, and suddenly I'm a poacher..LOL

Murder
11-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks, didn't want to have to ask here, but couldn't find a definitive answer in the synopsis. I new it would bring out the native haters. Its funny how some people find out you have a status card, and suddenly I'm a poacher..LOL

I don't believe it is that. I believe it is more the segregation of society. In this day and age we should all be treated as equals, and to allow one man to pursue game when and how he pleases and to charge and regulate another only adds fuel to the fire.

bmynbr
11-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I don't believe it is that. I believe it is more the segregation of society. In this day and age we should all be treated as equals, and to allow one man to pursue game when and how he pleases and to charge and regulate another only adds fuel to the fire.

I don't think its that at all. Regulations still have to be followed. People see videos on youtube, and assume all natives just take what they want, when they want. You have no idea how many times ive met people and they ask why im not netting salmon instead of fishing with them. I know that there are natives out there that don't follow regs, but there are just as many others of all other races.

olympia
11-07-2014, 03:24 AM

you are right but this thread is not the place to start such debates since he asked a question about "hunting regs" and all of sudden some goof has to say "your not special" or "ask jelvis". If you have the info just answer his question. So you bash natives cause they get to shoot what we aren't allowed but then you give this op attitude anyways since you know he is a natives when he clearly comes out and states his intentions of wanting to learn the Regs and clearly wants to be on the same page as the rest of us.

Murder
11-07-2014, 08:26 AM
you are right but this thread is not the place to start such debates since he asked a question about "hunting regs" and all of sudden some goof has to say "your not special" or "ask jelvis". If you have the info just answer his question. So you bash natives cause they get to shoot what we aren't allowed but then you give this op attitude anyways since you know he is a natives when he clearly comes out and states his intentions of wanting to learn the Regs and clearly wants to be on the same page as the rest of us.

You tell me i am right and then go on a tirade? Hipocrit

If anything, it is a shot at the Government and an explanation for, if anything, behaviour that can be misconstrued as racist. The OP also made a comment regarding what "people" think of his race.

Cheers

Ps- OP i hope you enjoy the hunt

Mike

huntcoop
11-07-2014, 09:34 AM
he is asking an honest question and trying to do things right...you didnt need to add in "your not special", but i guess you just are a dick

Sorry it was a grammatical error on my part, should have been "you're not special" :wink: :mrgreen:

finngun
11-07-2014, 10:27 AM
olympia... and all of sudden some goof has to say "your not special" or "ask jelvis". If you have the info just answer his question.////

i really ment "ask jelvis" because he is the man with right info;;:mrgreen: i miss his funny suff:-D

olympia
11-07-2014, 12:34 PM
olympia... and all of sudden some goof has to say "your not special" or "ask jelvis". If you have the info just answer his question.////

i really ment "ask jelvis" because he is the man with right info;;:mrgreen: i miss his funny suff:-D

my apologies, I feel bad for this kid, all he did was ask a question and showed he intended to hunt like the rest of us with "our regs" and people start ripping on him. I apologize to you but not the nutbar that said "you're not special". He never claimed to be special, he just asked a question about the regs. He did get some good info from a couple people though and those are the people that make this site a hunting site. The ones that get sarcastic and start ripping on him need to go to stormfront, they will find many friends there

Gateholio
11-07-2014, 01:35 PM
WTF is wrong with some of you? He asked a legitimate question. It's not a thread debating native issues. Answer the question, don't hack on him for regulations he had no part in setting up. Bmymbr I hope you got your question answered.