PDA

View Full Version : Keep the best spots to yourself

Drache
11-04-2014, 02:57 PM
So I thought I'd be a really good friend and show my best friend my most favorite spots to hunt for both black bear and deer. So I talked to my father and he agreed. Part of the stipulation was that he not hunt these areas without my father or I with him.

So I take my friend there on multiple occasions. He misses two bears over the course of a couple weeks.

Then when I got my deer, he became a little jealous, hunted his areas for a week straight, didn't see anything. Now I just got word from him stating he is taking a friend of his to go hunt these areas. Didn't ask if it was ok with me or even if I wanted to come along. I mean MAYBE if it was just him alone then it wouldn't be too bad... but he's showing someone else these spots.

It shouldn't bug me I guess since it's all crown land and open. But he did agree not to go out there without my father or I with him. Sort of like a respect thing.

mike-juliet
11-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me, not the end of the world but a little frustrating. I feel your pain.

Drache
11-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me, not the end of the world but a little frustrating. I feel your pain.

Yeah. Like I said, if it was just him by himself, it wouldn't be such a pain, but to show someone else... feels like getting slapped in the face....

Wentrot
11-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Did you call him out on it? That aint cool. Me and my hunting partner each have "spots" that have kind of the same unwritten rule. Asking first is always best.

Your friend is a *******.

russm
11-04-2014, 03:27 PM
There could be 100 other people going there or there could be nobody else going there, like you said its crown land, no point being bent out of shape about it, sucks that you showed him "your" spots but at the same time they're everyone's spots.

Drache
11-04-2014, 03:42 PM
There could be 100 other people going there or there could be nobody else going there, like you said its crown land, no point being bent out of shape about it, sucks that you showed him "your" spots but at the same time they're everyone's spots.

Actually there is only 4 people who hunt both these spots. We know because we have trail cams pointed at the only roads in to catch the deer walking the road. My father and I are two those. A friend of my father and his son are the other two. :p

My father's friend was the one who built the logging road to this area since it's his woodlot we hunt in.

Sleep Robber
11-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Doesn't sound like much of a friend to me, more like a guy who doesn't give two shits what you and your father said to him and agreed on.

BULLNUTTS
11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
I feel your pain too - I had a "friend" that I showed some of my honey holes too.These were exta special spots where I had enjoyed letting pass the younger imature animals ALWAYS,enjoying seeing them mature year to year,With dreams of one day harvesting a super booner.Same story he took his friend[s?] in and started banging away and just few yrs later ,where I could sit and watch 160-170 bucks growing and letting them go,now is almost void of life and what is there is very in tune to being shot.Really does SUCK! Only comfort I have from that is they never did get the big guys[as they almost always took the lesser guys thinking they were the big ones] and so the big guys are "around"there but its a totally diff situation hunting them now from how it used to be and a very very diff experience too.Gess all one can say is - if your fortunate enough to have a hunting partner matching yourself well,respect that and be gratefull -it dont come everyday. Good Huntin BULLNUTTS.

Ron.C
11-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I had a good hunting partnership some years back that ended for various reasons. Hunting spots, expectations, ........and various other things ended what was a once a great partnership. I'm not blaming him, as I have to take my share of repsonsibility for things going south and us parting ways.

but I did learn a few things wrt the sharing of hunting spots, and making stipulations:

1) If I was your friend in this case, I would have told you to pound sand and wouldn't of agreed to your stipulation and just carried on hunting my own areas. Not worth the headache and friction with a friend.
2) I also wouldn't have offered to show him this spot and stipulate he's only allowed to go there with me. Either keep the spot to yourself, or share it with others and let them hunt the way they choose.

dakoda62
11-04-2014, 04:02 PM
As i hunt primarily hunt alone, i can keep my favorite spots to myself.

pnbrock
11-04-2014, 04:13 PM
There is no such thing as loyalty when it comes to hunting. Everyone is an expert myself included better just get used to disappointment.

BRvalley
11-04-2014, 04:47 PM
better friends...or hunt solo

is it because you guys can't accompany him at a mutually convenient time? or just didn't invite you at all? shitty deal and probalby keep future spots on the down low

Brez
11-04-2014, 04:50 PM
sounds like he may be your best friend, but apparently, you're not his.
Ron C you are pretty harsh and he did think that he was his friend.
You never think it will happen to you ......until it does.

GoatGuy
11-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Doesn't sound like much of a buddy.

Spy
11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Had the same thing happen, wont hunt with him again! When the "trust" line is crossed there is no going back. Thank goodness I have a new hunting partner that I trust with my life & I wont mind if he hunts the spots ive shown him, I actually hope he does & shoots a cranker :-) Its all about finding the right partner with the same ethics ect as you :-)

Drache
11-04-2014, 05:13 PM
better friends...or hunt solo

is it because you guys can't accompany him at a mutually convenient time? or just didn't invite you at all? shitty deal and probalby keep future spots on the down low

I told him I was willing to hunt any time 24/7

BRvalley
11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
shitty deal...try to meet his other buddy, never know, maybe not as bad as it initially seems...but can understand the piss off for sure

albravo2
11-04-2014, 05:19 PM
That sucks.

I think your only recourse is to call him out on it. Remind him of your condition and ask him why he isn't keeping his side of the bargain.

I think there is a good reason that you can ask anything on this site unless it has to do with a location. Hunting spots are hard earned and sharing them is an honour not to be abused.

Or, send me a PM with the location and I'll go explain your perspective to him myself;-) I've still got a whack of unfilled tags.

steel_ram
11-04-2014, 05:20 PM
You can't really expect someone to not go where the hunting is good for ever. Especially when they've become frustrated with their own inability to find "their own" spots. Most of us have learned the hard way. I won't even show my own family or best friends some specific spots. Then again, if they figure it out on their own, it's a free for all.

whitewolf
11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
What a pice of work. I don't share any of my solo or family spots, just for that reason.

Whonnock Boy
11-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Call him on it, and let him know that in fact you were brought to this spot by someone else as well. Not only will he be disrespecting your "deal", he will be disrespecting your father, fathers friend, and son. If he doesn't see the light, too bad I guess..... for him.

Spy
11-04-2014, 05:27 PM
I told him I was willing to hunt any time 24/7
He has shown that he has NO respect for you or your family ! Best thing to do is wake up earlier and beat him into the spot ;-)
Is he a member on HBC ? If so post up his name so we all no who not to take hunting LOL ;-)

Rob Chipman
11-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Call him out or get a new friend. You don't own the land, but a deal is a deal.

Big Lew
11-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I fully understand your frustration and disappointment. Unfortunately sometimes friendships aren't equal from both sides. I've found that there are 3 things that bring the worst out of some people...money, hunting, and fishing.
I had a similar situation happen to my little family. I had found a beautiful glade hidden from sight at the head
of a lake where I hunted ducks and geese for several years. I was the only one that camped there year after year, including as my kids grew from babies until about 7 and 8 years old. Each year some Gang Ranch cowboys would watch for my smoke and then come riding in for a visit. I made the mistake of showing 2 whom I thought were
very good friends the place. Both of them knew how special that place was to me (us) and yet the very next year they brought a whole bunch of people in. We happened to show up while they were there and noticed live trees cut and damaged, my cooking fire pit destroyed, and trash strewn about. That was the immediate end to friendships
and the last time I ever went there. I just couldn't understand why they chose to camp there when there were many other good spots along the lake and closer to the hunting areas.

Rub
11-04-2014, 05:59 PM
A few years ago a friend of mine took me into his honey hole, which is great spot. It produces a lot of bucks every year, and I've always waited till he has time to take me. I've wanted to go in on my own but always waited for him. This year he was unable to take me but said that I could go in there without him - I did, and was able to connect with a nice buck. Lots my friends keep asking me to take them in, but I won't. I guess I'm old fashioned. Too bad more people don't act the same way.

adriaticum
11-04-2014, 06:04 PM
It's a good way to evaluate friend from non-friend.
You can use this opportunity to clean up your life from the non-friends and you will find another good spot since you obviously have the skills.

ruger#1
11-04-2014, 06:07 PM
A few years ago a friend of mine took me into his honey hole, which is great spot. It produces a lot of bucks every year, and I've always waited till he has time to take me. I've wanted to go in on my own but always waited for him. This year he was unable to take me but said that I could go in there without him - I did, and was able to connect with a nice buck. Lots my friends keep asking me to take them in, but I won't. I guess I'm old fashioned. Too bad more people don't act the same way.

Your not old fashioned. Your a good friend!

Coachman
11-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Never lend money to friends, don't date a friend's ex, and only share hunting and fishing spots with people you truly "know" .

I usually hunt alone.

kilometers
11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
A good friend showed my brother a terrace deer spot. Next weekend what does he see their My bro, dad, and me getting ready to go for a hunt. He is a family friend so we laughed about it and worked the area together. Glad it wasn't his honey hole.

quadrakid
11-04-2014, 06:18 PM
He taught you a valuable lesson.Only you can decide if his friendship is valuable.

Skull Hunter
11-04-2014, 06:18 PM
I get the frustration as well. There are a few certain spots that I hunt that no one knows about. I have a few general "go to" spots that I'll show to some new hunters, but I'm even getting reluctant with that. Seems like it's becoming a race to the spot some of the time.

It's ok though because I like hunting new spots and can always find a new place to explore. Generally after harvesting an animal I won't go back truly hunting that spot for a couple of years.

Getbent
11-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Brutal... I showed a guy one time a hot lingcod area we had basically to ourselves.
he showed a buddy and boom it was toast.
Gotta be so selective with these kind of areas

fearnodeer
11-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Stupid is as stupid does, need I say more.

allan
11-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Ha ha ha! I had to marry my hunting partners daughter, AND give him grandchildren before he would let me go to his special spot without him! With that kind of commitment to a spot there is no friggin way I'm showing anyone else!!

Brambles
11-04-2014, 06:52 PM
There is no such thing as loyalty when it comes to hunting. Everyone is an expert myself included better just get used to disappointment.

I personally am all about loyalty, if I take someone into a spot, I don't expect to get burnt! Partly the reason why I only hunt with VERY few individuals. It's always good to know people's morals or lack there of, before lining up a hunt.

to the OP, it's a shame your best friend figured it was OK to burn you and betray your trust! You should speak to him about your expectations!

Big Lew
11-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Well, my situation wasn't actually a secret hunting spot but it taught me a lesson. Places I have found
that I hope to go back to I keep to myself, not even telling my closest brother. Places that I have done
well in but don't expect to go back to I will tell others depending on their attitude. I have divulged some
of them to fellow forum members. It's up to them if they want to keep them to themselves. I answered a
PM inquiry awhile ago by describing a place that is too rugged and far for me now but I guarantee that it
still holds big deer and bear as well as a good population of blue grouse.

ruger#1
11-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Stupid is as stupid does, need I say more.

Loose lips sink ships.

RambleOn
11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Wow. ugly, burning strike one, two and three in one go.

Spirit's Master
11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Best thing about having someone else hunt your favourite spot is finding a NEW favourite spot. Found that out a few years ago with one of my favourite fishing holes. Took a buddy one day, the next day he was there two other buddies.

Learned a good lesson. And now I have a new spot.

Haven't found a super hot honey hole for black-tail yet. Anyone want to share?

cwf

birdee
11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
like the old saying if you lend a friend $20 and you never see him again,best $20 you ever spent.

ruger#1
11-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV brought me here.

j270wsm
11-04-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't have any secret spots, and i usually fill atleast 2 tags every year. I'll tell anyone where a legal animal is, As long as I'm not planning on chasing it.

lovemywinchester
11-04-2014, 09:30 PM
What a difference a few days makes on HBC.

I agree with keeping spots to yourself if they are dear to you. Here is what I said on a thread the other day.

If there is one thing I know for a fact is that if you show someone a spot the very next time they are out they will go RIGHT to that spot. And they will bring their friends, and so on and so on. It will be their favorite spot until they kill a buck somewhere else. I was trying to explain that to the OP in not so many words. I will explain it better for Mikeman. The first rule to killing a big buck is TO NOT TALK ABOUT THE MAMMOTH BUCK. Until it's dead of course. Then post a pic and story for us to oogle.

From other members.

And that bit about if you show a hunter a spot, he'll go to that spot etc is BS.

Thank you for helping to kill the sport

pnbrock
11-04-2014, 09:44 PM
i hear you brambles ,my friend has a duck field that will produce a limit of green heads every outing.he is the sole hunter to this field and i am great full for every hunt he invites me to join.having said that i would not step foot or reveal the field to anyone with out his permission.

300H&H
11-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Same thing happened too me.
I took a guy I knew who never shot a deer in to "my spot" for a hunt.
We saw lots of deer and I am sure I made it clear this was a one time thing.
A week later he calls me and says "I got a buck".
I was happy for him and he asked for help, so when he told me it was where I took him I was not impressed.
Still, I helped load it and get it ready for the butcher.
He never offered any meat (I always do) for helping...PMO.
That was the last time I took him anywhere and I have chosen to not associate with him any longer.

I will never take anyone to a spot I want to keep to myself. That's just me.

Chopper
11-04-2014, 10:02 PM
I have on hunting partner i talk to about my spots ... The two reasons i chose him as my partner are , First and foremost ... He is honest and the most tight lipped guy ive ever met , Second reason ... in phenomenal physical condition.

Other than him, i tell no one anything ! ever !

Chopper
11-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Yep ... hunt alone

pnbrock
11-04-2014, 10:07 PM
my favourite was reading a post from a hbc member speaking about a weekend he spent with the hbc in the spot i gave up too him .he also posted how he couldn't wait to get back up to hunt the spot.i trust no one now!!!

Quince
11-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Its hard to trust honey holes to people but its always your own choice in the end. And a thanks to the guys that have helped me out, most never needed too but did it anyways.

Side note....
I got 2 small wt this year while hunting with 2 different guys. They got nothing but one of them offered to pitch in for the butchering and the other didnt and said he didnt want any(which i know is a load of crap). Im all about giving portions to the guys i hunt with(i split up my 1 mule doe last year with 3 people)but how much should i give?

Wentrot
11-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Its hard to trust honey holes to people. And a thanks to the guys that have helped me out, most never needed too but did it anyways.

Side note....
I got 2 small wt this year while hunting with 2 different guys. They got nothing but one of them offered to pitch in for the butchering and the other didnt and said he didnt want any(which i know is a load of crap). Im all about giving portions to the guys i hunt with(i split up my 1 mule doe last year with 3 people)but how much should i give?

Best to discuss that ahead of time. Anyone I hunt with its 50/50. Good n easy

REMINGTON JIM
11-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Doesn't sound like much of a friend to me, more like a guy who doesn't give two shits what you and your father said to him and agreed on.

Yea i Agree - Real Good BEST friend he is :evil: - Kick him in the Nuts next time you see him ! RJ

pmit73
11-04-2014, 11:52 PM
New hunter here. I have been very fortunate to have a great buddy show me a few spots to which I took my first deer out of. I would never have known about these spots without his trust and willingness to share with me. For that I'm truly thankful and would only go to that spot with him. What I have learned from those experiences is to identify some of my own areas of interest, put in the time, take that mentorship and knowledge and hopefully repay the favour of taking my buddy to my spot in time.

khoffnbud
11-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Yea i Agree - Real Good BEST friend he is :evil: - Kick him in the Nuts next time you see him ! RJ

X2 on the nut kicking

J_T
11-05-2014, 07:13 AM
I personally am all about loyalty, if I take someone into a spot, I don't expect to get burnt! Partly the reason why I only hunt with VERY few individuals. It's always good to know people's morals or lack there of, before lining up a hunt.

to the OP, it's a shame your best friend figured it was OK to burn you and betray your trust! You should speak to him about your expectations!
Yup, the general ethic around here is, if a hunter shows you a spot, it is basically forever his. You don't hunt there without him. Even if you knew that spot before him. Of course there are some situations that are common and that rule wouldn't apply, but generally if someone shows you a spot, or invites you on a hunt to an area they know, you respect that and don't hunt there without them.

digger dogger
11-05-2014, 07:50 AM
I have a buddy, who I took to a great spot to hunt,
with the same rule as the OP.
It was 2 yrs before he asked to hunt the area by himself. I reluctantly said go ahead.
Well this year he asked if he could go with another guy, i reminded him that when i took him there, there were certain rules, that weren't being followed. I said if i knew u were going to hunt it by yourself or with others, i wouldn't have taken him there.
He acknowledged the rules, and said he wont hunt it without me there.
It worked out fine, ya just have to remind people once they get comfy in a spot.

If he doesn't respect your rules, nut kick. :-)
Good luck

Wild one
11-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Basic rule in my crew the original person to find the location should be respected by getting the OK from them first.

If this is not done you no longer have locations shared with you. There has been a few put on the no tell list but most respect it

The exception is locations that are well know by hunters in general

RomanianTHUNDER
11-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Had the same thing happen to me and now my new hunting partner has 4legs and lots of fur and I know my secrets spots are safe with him . Also I don't have to worry about him complaining. He is always happy :))

Cookie1965
11-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Did buddy ever introduce you to his girlfriend? Go visit her next time he goes to hunt in your spot lol.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Did buddy ever introduce you to his girlfriend? Go visit her next time he goes to hunt in your spot lol.

Best idea yet!!:mrgreen:

SSS

curt
11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
thats an ignorant thing to do well you learned a lesson I wouldnt take that guy anywhere after that stunt.

Ryo
11-05-2014, 10:52 AM
When i take people mushroom hunting we always try a spot i've never been to before - win, win win.

A) I might find a new spot
B) I don't give up my known spots
and most importantly
C) the friends get to learn the actual habitat and hunting process instead of me just bringing them to a patch with a knife and basket.

HarryToolips
11-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I'd tell him exactly how ya feel and why he shouldn't be doin that..if he doesn't respect that, kick him in the arse..

2tins
11-05-2014, 01:43 PM
He's cheating on you. Straight up, he's cheating on you. *******.

adriaticum
11-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Most guys who have never hunted or fished in their lives do not understand the value of a honey hole.
I agree with mywinchester, those guys will always run to show someone else how they have a good spot.
Now on the flip side if you take a guy like that out and do not lay out the expectations, in no uncertain terms, before you show him your honey hole, it's really your fault.

ducktoller
11-05-2014, 02:11 PM
He's cheating on you. Straight up, he's cheating on you. *******.
Yeah boiii dat sucka be triflin on some nasty ass shit.
Kick dat mark ass tryck too da curb

"lyke Dis if u cry evytime"

Ranger95
11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
We have been invited to hunt with people, and we have invited people to hunt with us - we know they protect their own" little honey holes" and will never take us in there - we simply reciprocate!

If someone says that they want to show us their 'little honey holes' we ask them not to - we would rather find our own little honey holes - that - after all is the whole challenge of hunting!

J-Man
11-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Yea it was a dick move on your friends part.

I just keep a decent 2pnt honey hole for new people I take out (well I have 3 now) the first is the same one I've sent HBC members in the past. Its a place you can spend 3 days looking for the big one or just take the gimmee in October. It's for the guys that haven't shot anything in a few years or ever. Then after 4/5 years of hunting spots together I might invite them for a week to the real honey hole. It helps taking them in at night and having to take lots and lots of forks. So far out of 3 people I've taken only 1 could find their way back into it. Its been years since I've seen anyone up there now. In the early 90s it was popular though when the logging was active.

Brambles
11-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Yup, the general ethic around here is, if a hunter shows you a spot, it is basically forever his. You don't hunt there without him. Even if you knew that spot before him. Of course there are some situations that are common and that rule wouldn't apply, but generally if someone shows you a spot, or invites you on a hunt to an area they know, you respect that and don't hunt there without them.

i hear you brambles ,my friend has a duck field that will produce a limit of green heads every outing.he is the sole hunter to this field and i am great full for every hunt he invites me to join.having said that i would not step foot or reveal the field to anyone with out his permission.

I have a buddy that has shot a 181 and a 174 mulie out of an area, one day he told me where he was hunting and said I should go in there and take a crack at it. My reply was, that's your spot, if you want me to go with you one day that's one thing, but I'm not going into his spot alone!!! He said he really doesn't care... But my CODE does care, and when I wake up in the morning It's ME who I gotta answer to and live with.

Talked to him again last night and once again he suggested I should go into his spot!!! My answer was the same as last time. He'll NO!!!

my self respect is important to me, and its not gonna be compromised over a hunting spot.

whats hard to hear is how fast some people, on and off HBC, are more than happy to hamstring their buddy to get back to his spot!!! Pathetic.....truly Pathetic..

BigfishCanada
11-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Id say the guys a goof also, gentleman's agreement means allot to me

BUT, BUT, if your hunting with guys that get jealous over others success, time to get new hunting buddies, I have seen it and its cancer. I want a group where we have no bragging and no jealousy, its way better at camp

f350ps
11-05-2014, 08:56 PM
^^^^Well said, my ethics also! K

pnbrock
11-05-2014, 09:14 PM
hahaha good one kelly!!

igojuone
11-05-2014, 09:17 PM

Speak for yourself.

pnbrock
11-05-2014, 09:20 PM
re read igo i never said I'm not loyal only self proclaimed expert.

shed-hunter1
11-05-2014, 09:31 PM
as far as best spots all I can say is keep to yourself same goes for fishing hey jayce

f350ps
11-05-2014, 09:33 PM
hahaha good one kelly!!
Are you suggesting AWP land is a secret? K

pnbrock
11-05-2014, 09:36 PM
BUT, BUT, if your hunting with guys that get jealous over others success, time to get new hunting buddies, I have seen it and its cancer. I want a group where we have no bragging and no jealousy, its way better at camp……this is what i was talking about Kelly

Stéphane
11-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm still learning how to hunt and I've had the previlege to be brought along by very few hunters. I call them my mentors. Now I understand why most of the guys are so stingy with there guidances.
I don't think I would share with other hunters the spot where my mentors brought me. But I would share with theses mentors anything I would find by myself without thinking twice. I figure I owe them something even though I don't feel obligated.

Thanks, Greybark, Redthorn, Deaddog and Extreme Archery! I still owe you guys! You're the best!

Drache
11-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Here's another hunting rant. Back when I got my largest bear so far, we ran into a group hunting this mountain where only a handful of people (locals) hunt. They bought a cabin about 10km down the road from the mountain top. There was a group of about 7 together. Found out they took a bull moose, 2 deer, and two bear off this mountain top. We weren't too happy about it but it's a free country lol. Anyways after they were done hunting the mountain top, they pulled three large boulders down and blocked off the road! Well now that is just dirty since it's crown land! You can see where they used chains hooked to their pickups to pull the boulders into place.

About two weeks later someone went up and moved one of the boulders so others could keep hunting up there. Went back up today though and this time they piled on even more boulders to block the road off. It's really pissing me off what people do. It's CROWN LAND and they are blocking off.

They even dragged in a bunch of lumber and built a permanent stand in the middle of a cutblock out there.

adriaticum
11-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Here's another hunting rant. Back when I got my largest bear so far, we ran into a group hunting this mountain where only a handful of people (locals) hunt. They bought a cabin about 10km down the road from the mountain top. There was a group of about 7 together. Found out they took a bull moose, 2 deer, and two bear off this mountain top. We weren't too happy about it but it's a free country lol. Anyways after they were done hunting the mountain top, they pulled three large boulders down and blocked off the road! Well now that is just dirty since it's crown land! You can see where they used chains hooked to their pickups to pull the boulders into place.

About two weeks later someone went up and moved one of the boulders so others could keep hunting up there. Went back up today though and this time they piled on even more boulders to block the road off. It's really pissing me off what people do. It's CROWN LAND and they are blocking off.

They even dragged in a bunch of lumber and built a permanent stand in the middle of a cutblock out there.

I guess you just need a bigger truck than they have.
Or some dynamite.

lineofsight
11-06-2014, 01:36 AM
There is a pool of four or five of us that hunt together for a couple years, sometimes four of us make it out, sometimes two, but we share successes and failures. If something is harvested we butcher it and is split between those who were out. Whatever we learn along the way we share with each other and whomever in our group benefits great, what goes around comes around. Should someone else want to join in and good with the group great, can learn different things from each other. Lots of areas to hunt, life too short for this amount of drama.

olympia
11-06-2014, 02:23 AM
your friend is an idiot...sorry

olympia
11-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Here's another hunting rant. Back when I got my largest bear so far, we ran into a group hunting this mountain where only a handful of people (locals) hunt. They bought a cabin about 10km down the road from the mountain top. There was a group of about 7 together. Found out they took a bull moose, 2 deer, and two bear off this mountain top. We weren't too happy about it but it's a free country lol. Anyways after they were done hunting the mountain top, they pulled three large boulders down and blocked off the road! Well now that is just dirty since it's crown land! You can see where they used chains hooked to their pickups to pull the boulders into place. About two weeks later someone went up and moved one of the boulders so others could keep hunting up there. Went back up today though and this time they piled on even more boulders to block the road off. It's really pissing me off what people do. It's CROWN LAND and they are blocking off.They even dragged in a bunch of lumber and built a permanent stand in the middle of a cutblock out there.maybe you should post online where this spot is and send everyone there...haha if they think they can keep crown land to themselves than screw them.

j270wsm
11-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Guys like this usually get what they deserve. I know guys that have burnt cabins down over things like that

Ourea
11-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Drache, your issue is not a hunting issue.....it's a relationship issue.

There are lots of people in this world that "want" but don't know how to "get".
A lot of them do not hesitate to try and take from those that "have".
Hunting spots are no different
Their value system is fundamentally flawed. Anyone that puts a hunting spot over a quality relationship, they are not worth wasting your time on. Cut the loss and move on.
Don't waste your time getting mad at a midget for being short.

I had a friend that wanted a reg 8 elk in the worst way as he was unsuccessful after numerous years of trying.
I said I will get him out and get him on an elk.
Explained the code.
Long story short, got him a look at 3 bulls and took the better... all on film.
He was thrilled.
We lined up a very trusted buddy of mine to help with the long pack out.

A week later I run into a contact of mine who pulls me aside and says " did you hear about so n so, he killed a big elk....killed it way in the back country, he had his choice of 3, took him a couple days to pack it out all by himself...man what a guy eh"!

I chuckled and said good for him.
Apparently hero status is important to him.

My new apparent master elk hunter lived in the area every season after that bringing in the odd guy with him.
I simply keep him at arms length now and do not share anything with him. Despite being perceived as a good guy I simply don't trust him. When it comes to people in my life I don't need to like them first, I need to respect them. Lose my respect, you lose my friendship.

You obviously lost respect for your partner.
Move on.
It's his loss.

Sleep Robber
11-06-2014, 01:01 PM
If you tell ANYONE about a good hunting spot, then don't EVER expect it to be left alone, if you do ??, then your just way too naive !

HuntNmemories
11-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a number of folks have trusted a friend to a favorite spot and lost that spot the the buddy and his other friends. Well, sadly I had the same experience with long-term friend, but i learned its best to keep these spots to yourself. Bummer your friend took advantage of the situation.

mcrae
11-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Your buddy broke the "code" IMO.... I don't have allot of "secret spots" but the few I have I will only share with three other guys. These three guys I trust. I know I can share info ask questions about areas swap ideas etc and I don't have to worry about "spot poaching"... My code is same as Brambles. The guys I know put allot of time and work into areas they hunt and if they share info with me it stays with me. I don't go in without them. Besides part of the hunting experience is figuring it all out for yourself.