PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Oregon 600 vs Delorme InReach SE

adriaticum
11-04-2014, 01:26 PM
So last weekend's moose hunt persuaded me that I need a handheld GPS.
The phone application is just not going to do.
It's not as accurate as GPS and if I'm going into a new area and don't have good cell service I can't download the maps.
I've narrowed it down to two devices and wondering what everyone thinks of them.

Garmin Oregon 600 is nice, touch screen, has all the bells and whistles for a GPS. But no communications.

Delorme InReach SE has two way communications and is definitely useful as a communicator. Apparently it does have all GPS functionality but don't know how good the GPS is.

I thought initially about Garmin eTrex 20 but I am told touch screen is so much more better.

Any thoughts about these or any other worth while device would be appreciated.

Singleshotneeded
11-04-2014, 01:50 PM
"much more better"? Youse guyses ain't yapping good engrish! :-D The Oregon 600 uses a capacitive touchscreen, whereas the 400/450 and others used a resistive touchscreen. Capacitive is the same touchscreen that smart phones use, you can't use them with gloves and they suck in the rain. If you're looking for a GPS for inside your truck, or for sunny warm days, that's not an issue...but if you want it to work when it's damned cold and you have gloves on, or in a steady rain, forget it! Get an Oregon 400/450 if you want a touch screen, or get a model with buttons. I've had a 60csx (now 62 series) for years and it's worked perfectly on foot or on my quad's handlebars for years, in any weather... You can get the Rino with a radio, but make sure you get a U.S. model with a 5 watt GMRS radio, not 2 watts! I've always heard Garmin makes the best GPS, and I'm happy with mine, but you'll have to do your own homework in regards to the Delorme InReach...

adriaticum
11-04-2014, 02:03 PM
"much more better"? Youse guyses ain't yapping good engrish! :-D The Oregon 600 uses a capacitive touchscreen, whereas the 400/450 and others used a resistive touchscreen. Capacitive is the same touchscreen that smart phones use, you can't use them with gloves and they suck in the rain. If you're looking for a GPS for inside your truck, or for sunny warm days, that's not an issue...but if you want it to work when it's damned cold and you have gloves on, or in a steady rain, forget it! Get an Oregon 400/450 if you want a touch screen, or get a model with buttons. I've had a 60csx (now 62 series) for years and it's worked perfectly on foot or on my quad's handlebars for years, in any weather... You can get the Rino with a radio, but make sure you get a U.S. model with a 5 watt GMRS radio, not 2 watts! I've always heard Garmin makes the best GPS, and I'm happy with mine, but you'll have to do your own homework in regards to the Delorme InReach...

Thanks SSN, good points.
I am looking for outdoor in the rain and snow type device.
Oregon 400 series is discontinued I think.

Just
11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I've got the Garmin rhino 650. I bought bc back roads maps for it and it's great. I never get lost.

Singleshotneeded
11-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks SSN, good points.
I am looking for outdoor in the rain and snow type device.
Oregon 400 series is discontinued I think.

Yes it is but they're still available and you can get them for an excellent price! :-D
Just checked Ebay n Amazon for you, Ebay as low as $150...

quaint bucket
11-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Garmin etrex 20 is/was what I have/had. I never had any issues with it and it was pretty damn reliable. I opted for it because I didn't want the touch screen as those will drain battery life fast. Yeah, it's a pain sometimes to punch in each letter or to scroll around on the map. Didn't bother me too much.

The only reason why I said was and had is because I can't find it. Never sold it or anything... just can't find it.

Cordillera
11-04-2014, 08:07 PM
The Inreach has fine gps capabilities. However the real benefit is communication. It is awesome. If you get a big moose you press send and two hours later the meat packing crew shows up!

jamfarm
11-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. But I'd recommend the inReach Explorer, haven't seen it but I think it has GPS on it, the SE doesn't. Might as well have an all in one GPS and communication device.