PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Snowshoe Hares

o2fish2day
03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

My hunting partner and I are new at the hunting game and we have been looking for everything....Deer, Grouse, Rabbits etc.

We got started very late last season so we haven't had any luck.... Since the only open game right now appears to be rabbits I am looking for some help....

I hunt region 3 and Hope area. I would like to know of any tips that come to mind.. If you don't want to post them because they are area specific then just drop me an e-mail.

What is the best method? (wait for them to appear or drive around, walk in the woods etc?)

What kind of terrain am I looking for (any pictures?) What kind of plants etc.

What time of year do they turn brown to white and white to brown?

Is there anywhere that might cause them to be concentrated?

What about Hope? Are there any there?

Appreciate the help.

kishman
03-18-2007, 08:50 PM
While I can't say I've seriously hunted Rabbits/Hares before I work with several Newfies who grew up bunny huntin'. All of them used Beagles to drive the Hares' into gunning range and decribe it as being the "fonnest t'ing" you can do with clothes on:lol: . I have to admit it does sound pretty fun, hope this is of some help. Good luck.

bsa30-06
03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
are you familiar with the lytton area?

o2fish2day
03-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I am somewhat familiar with the lyton area.

bsa30-06
03-18-2007, 09:47 PM
cross the bridge over the two rivers, go pass the gas station, turn right the road goes to botanie lake.Before you get to the lake there is a road that turns to the left (izman creek forestry road)i have seen lots of rabbitts on the first 3km of the road.Watch the edge of the road carefully and go slow.I should mention that i'm usually in this area in october and that is when i have seen the rabitts , i have also shot lots of grouse on this road in october.good luck i hope this helps.

ps. please leave the big game for me i need all the help i can get.

o2fish2day
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks! I really appreciate it. So far my claim to fame this year is a single asissted dispatch of a grouse.

BearSniper
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Fishtoday....

Thats a good start, :o you gotta start with something.

I have also seen a several Hares up the FSR's which branch off the Coquihalla, at or near the tollbooth.

Pack along a Bear tag as you may get a chance to bag a Blackie.

Good luck, lots of wildlife out there, keep your eyes open.:)