PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops sheep leh takes a bad turn

Grousedaddy
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
It's hunting season for the California Big Horn Sheep,but only a limited number of people chosen through a "lottery" are allowed to hunt the animals. A local hunter is now being investigated after shooting one of the animals near Kamloops Lake. The hunter did have a tag to hunt the sheep, and was in the area designated, but he was on private property at the time . Conservation was called in, the animal was seized ,and the incident is being investigated to determine if the animal was harvested legally. The meat from the animal killed today will be donated to a needy family.

Source cfjc

Whonnock Boy
11-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Ouch! I wonder if it was the guy that posted up on the FB page. No pictures were added.

The Dawg
11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Ouch! I wonder if it was the guy that posted up on the FB page. No pictures were added.

Pics are up now. Be quick! Haha

DawsonCreedmoor
11-03-2014, 10:15 PM
No, different animals. I just watched the video on the news page. http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=21745 Appears to be a ewe? I sure hope thats not a bannana ram that someone wasted the tag on.

A pic of the ram that was also shot was just posted on facebook.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10395827_10152328756062493_8972791418035680999_n.j pg?oh=1598496daaed960cf846c51d59cef3e1&oe=54D49867&__gda__=1425184306_751c75ee2c031fa890556b4f26c568a a

dana
11-03-2014, 11:13 PM
The news clip is right where a whole bunch of rams and ewes were hanging out yesterday. The field is clearly marked as Private Property. Yesterday the sheep were jumping back and forth over the fence from private to Crown. Where the video shows them picking up the carcus is well onto the private. With the amount of people who were out enjoying the sheep yesterday, it would be very foolish to hunt right there with tons and tons of non-hunters around. I wondered how this new tag was going to go down with it being so busy with people. If it is proven the ram was shot on private land then I could see this being the first and last LEH in this area.

Ferenc
11-03-2014, 11:48 PM
If it was taken on the old Wellands property the new owners are definitely non hunters

hunter fisher
11-04-2014, 06:53 AM
pretty b/s that they are donating the meat. they are still investigating him, what if it turns out it was a totally legal kill? he gets his horns back but loses all his meat? they should stick it in a freezer for him or something

180grainer
11-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Nice ram, goofy picture.

NorBC
11-04-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm a needy family....

russm86
11-04-2014, 08:59 AM
pretty b/s that they are donating the meat. they are still investigating him, what if it turns out it was a totally legal kill? he gets his horns back but loses all his meat? they should stick it in a freezer for him or something

Agreed. Without the whole story, perhaps he had indeed shot it on crown land and it ran onto private and he went about retrieving it the wrong way? Were there eye witnesses saying he and/or the animal were on private land when it was actually shot? Or did he shoot when it was on crown and then it ran onto private land and instead of asking permission to retrieve it (and getting COs involved if necessary, aka access was denied) he just trespassed and got it?

Sandy62
11-04-2014, 09:27 AM
That looks like the railway tunnel at cooper creek? Anyone agree that whole pocket is privet in till your on the other side then it's provincial park (one where hunting is allowed) I was up that way yesterday working on filling my tag but only saw 4 ewe all in tuff spots but a was on the west end of the lake by the cell tower. I know guess I know where the sheep where lol.

huntcoop
11-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Looks to be a waste of a tag on a VERY immature sheep, pathetic really. I'm sure the local tribe will enjoy the meat :roll:

BigfishCanada
11-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Oh man, would i ever want that tag. We need to be smart, we dont want to loose an opportunity

coach
11-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Looks to be a waste of a tag on a VERY immature sheep, pathetic really. I'm sure the local tribe will enjoy the meat :roll:

Oh man, would i ever want that tag. We need to be smart, we dont want to loose an opportunity

There are 25 ewe or lamb draws currently open in 3-29 C and D. There were ram draws in September (1 each in zones A and B) and another 2 going on now (4 rams total). I think it's pretty safe to assume the sheep that is the focus of this story was one of the ewe or lamb draws.

Being aware of private property is extremely important for all hunters. Unfortunately, this incident occurred in a very visible area that, according to Dana's prior post, was well marked. Stupid, really, and it casts all hunters in a bad light.

Danimal
11-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Sooooo, as a hunter who lives in Kamloops and minutes away from where this guy shot this. Really sets me off.... For the first, every one in town who hunts knows that where he shot this was just above the old tranquille sanitarium site, 2kms? off the pavement, private land that borders the lac de bois grassland provincial park..... we all know there are sheep there, we all know big rams frequent this area, yet we all know this is an absolute no shooting/hunting zone. I also know that if i were blessed by God for this amazing lottery tag gift. That I would study each and every inch of this area long before the season of my tag hit so I knew without a doubt where I can hunt a big full curl wall hanger, memory of a lifetime!!!!

I don't want to slam this guy any more than he is already getting, but its just so sad that someone would obviously rush a hunt of this magnitude. I think its good he was caught because he is so far obviously out of the area. It's like shooting a B/C Buck in town out side the CO's office.

Anyways, That's all i have to say. I stay pretty quiet but this is my backyard after all

coach
11-04-2014, 08:09 PM
How many full curl ewes and lambs have you seen there, Danimal? :confused:

dana
11-04-2014, 08:24 PM
This place is typically crawling with Kamloops locals. From photographers to hikers to mountain bikers to dog walkers. It would be a good bet the COs had numerous eyewitness accounts to what went down. On Sunday when I was there tons of sheep, both ewes and rams were on both the private and the Crown. Every time i go there I can locate sheep in less than 2 mins of glassing on the non-private open sage brush hillsides. Typically, you can see 50 or 60 ewes in a short scan with the binos. A short hike to get away from prying eyes, walk up a wash, find a bedded ewe at 10-15 yards, pull the pin, debone, throw in backpack, that simple.

Trojans16
11-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I've been chukar hunting the last few weekends (don't get me started on those devils) and there are sheep all over from tranquille to savona. We saw a couple beauties with 20 or so ewes/lambs west of Fredrick, just unbelievable that someone would shoot one there. Definitely a high traffic non hunter area.

Colinofthewoods
11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Was it a ewe ?

Brian011
11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Saw 60-70 sheep from that exact spot a week and a half ago, some nice rams mixed in there too, too bad they shot it on private property, definitely not the brightest person to shoot one there. If it was a ewe, it wouldn't have been much harder to travel up the road a few minutes out of the private property and shoot one there.

monasheemountainman
11-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Ok so was it a ram or a ewe??

bighornbob
11-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Looking at the video it looks like a 11/2 year old ram. That is definitely no ewe. So either he used a ram tag on the young ram or he has a ewe tag and shot a young ram or what he thought was a record book ewe.

Bhb

dana
11-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I am no expert at judging dead sheep filmed being loaded into a CO vehicle. When I watched the clip I did think it was a small ram but they never mentioned a ram in the news clip and when Coach brought up the ewe tags, I thought geeze that makes more sense than shooting a tiny young ram when What If is bedded up on the hill watching all this go down.

huntcoop
11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Where is Willy the sheep sheriff when ya need him :lol:

180grainer
11-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Looking at the video it looks like a 11/2 year old ram. That is definitely no ewe. So either he used a ram tag on the young ram or he has a ewe tag and shot a young ram or what he thought was a record book ewe.

Bhb
So what's with the pic in this thread? That's a fully mature ram. Is that from something else? If that's the case and I was the guy in the photo, I'd be pissed.

180grainer
11-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Never mind. Figured it out on my own.

boxhitch
11-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Just because I can't believe someone would be so bold and stupid to actually shoot on that private property , I wonder if it was shot on Crown and had to be retrieved after it made its way across the fence .
Yes , still trespassing but not nearly as unbelievable . The rest of the story will come eventually.

srupp
11-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Hmmm giving him the benefit of innocent till proven guilty...let the system work its magic..it will eventually result in a verdict based on evidence, statements, evidence collected by CO..s usually when something seems so outrageous...there usually is sometjing we dont know...sometimes it is craxy stoopid..
Waiting...
Cheers
Steven

coach
11-04-2014, 11:41 PM

Bhb

After looking at the video more closely, I'd have to agree with you, BHB. Can't fathom how a guy would shoot a sheep on private property nor how he could mistake a ram for a ewe. Even harder to wrap my mind around how he could waste a ram tag on a 1 1/2 year old with so many big boys in the area.. :confused: The plot thickens - will be interesting to find out more details. So far, the whole things stinks. :evil:

boxhitch
11-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Not everyone is a trophy hunter , sheep meat just tastes good too . Have always wanted to savour some lamb chops , but a young ewe or ram would be pretty good eating .

Blasphemous to most I'm sure , but another consideration :)

SR80
11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
After looking at the video more closely, I'd have to agree with you, BHB. Can't fathom how a guy would shoot a sheep on private property nor how he could mistake a ram for a ewe. Even harder to wrap my mind around how he could waste a ram tag on a 1 1/2 year old with so many big boys in the area.. :confused: The plot thickens - will be interesting to find out more details. So far, the whole things stinks. :evil:

Well if the person wasn't bright enough to know or care that he shot it on private land. Im sure the person doesn't know a thing about sheep, and would never know the difference between a ewe or young ram. But that's just speculation. And accidents do happen.

Someone must of witnessed it and called it in right away if they were loading it up right out of that field. When I drove by there Monday morning at approx 8am there was a few cars parked, the CFJC news crew was there, and a guy in a white pickup with a spotting scope on his window watching the sheep. I figured they were just capturing footage because they have been talking about the California big horn rut on the news the last few days. Actually the guy on the radio called it the "California longhorn rut"

Kapow
11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Maybe it was shot on CN property. Some people don't realize that the railways (atleast 25' either side) is private property and it's a very serious offence to be carrying a firearm and hunting there, even if you are only after chuckars.

bighornbob
11-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Maybe it was shot on CN property. Some people don't realize that the railways (atleast 25' either side) is private property and it's a very serious offence to be carrying a firearm and hunting there, even if you are only after chuckars.

That is correct. that's why this case is so blatent. Its private property on both side of the tracks. So either way you slice it was on private property.

BHB

whitetailsheds
11-05-2014, 10:53 AM
What a shame considering the offers of assistance by HBC members who are familiar with the area to hunt one of these sheep.....but once again, perhaps this individual doesn't frequent here. Quite the opportunity!

Danimal
11-05-2014, 02:21 PM
How many full curl ewes and lambs have you seen there, Danimal? :confused:

I wasn't saying anything of the sort. Only stating that A lot of us have seen Big RAMS, in the area. and all know its a no hunting zone. The fact he shot a dink wasn't the point I was making. The video looks to be a small ram anyways, not a ewe. But thanks for your input Coach

bandit
11-05-2014, 04:46 PM
I wasn't saying anything of the sort. Only stating that A lot of us have seen Big RAMS, in the area. and all know its a no hunting zone. The fact he shot a dink wasn't the point I was making. The video looks to be a small ram anyways, not a ewe. But thanks for your input Coach

There are two different tags in the area: any ram or ewe/lamb. The synopsis doesn't give a specific definition of a lamb and I myself have always wondered what the exact definition / age cutoff is. Having grown up eating (farmed) lamb I can say for sure it tastes better than a musty old ewe. If I had the ewe/lamb tag I would be looking for a young, small one too!

Danimal
11-05-2014, 06:19 PM
There are two different tags in the area: any ram or ewe/lamb. The synopsis doesn't give a specific definition of a lamb and I myself have always wondered what the exact definition / age cutoff is. Having grown up eating (farmed) lamb I can say for sure it tastes better than a musty old ewe. If I had the ewe/lamb tag I would be looking for a young, small one too!

I am sorry, I wasn't looking to stir the pot anywhere. All I was trying to say was in this area and to all us locals, everyone knows this area this sheep whether ram, ewe, lamb? it was no where even slightly close to a legal hunting area. and a very popular place for people walking, and place that is very much in the public eye. That is all I was trying to say. Not about gender of sheep or size of.

dana
11-05-2014, 08:01 PM
There is a good chance this is the end of the case. If the CO ticketed the hunter for tresspassing and he pays the fine, there would be no court case as some are speculating. The news article said the sheep was seized and will be given to a needy family, that means the guy probably decided to pay the fine versus fight it in court. It said he had the right tag for the right area but shot it on private property. No need to speculate that he thought a young ram was a ewe. He had the right tag for the animal that was killed.

So on the positive side of things, I still get to take pictures of the Biggest rams in that herd for another year. HaHaHa.

dana
11-08-2014, 10:34 PM
The Kamloops Info Tel News mentioned that it was indeed a ewe, and the hunter was devastated to have the ewe confiscated due to his not knowing that was private land.

coach
11-08-2014, 10:41 PM
The Kamloops Info Tel News mentioned that it was indeed a ewe, and the hunter was devastated to have the ewe confiscated due to his not knowing that was private land.

i was there today.. Great photo ops!! Hard to believe the guy couldn't tell it was private land. :confused:

bighornbob
11-09-2014, 08:32 PM
i was there today.. Great photo ops!! Hard to believe the guy couldn't tell it was private land. :confused:
Yah you would think the fence around the whole area and it looks like it was cultivated at one time would be sure clues.

boxhitch
11-10-2014, 05:47 AM
New LEH zone boundaries this private land. Open location to harvest would be couple hundred meters to the south or west.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_maps/msheep_3-29_d.pdfOr private land with permission ?

Was the land posted and signed ?

moosinaround
11-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Was it a ewe ?
A sheep that stinks, Ewwwww!!!

BCbillies
11-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Yah you would think the fence around the whole area and it looks like it was cultivated at one time would be sure clues.

As my mom used to always say "they must be on drugs"!