PDA

View Full Version : wolf bounty

okas
11-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Has anyone got paid yet.seems to be a lack of cooperation. But with gov. And the cattle men together one ??. Lucky mine are frozzen now :cry: They might have money in 3 weeks so they say :confused:

one-shot-wonder
11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
First I have head of anything.......care to share more details, just a little vague.

BTW isn't there a protocol for first posts???

boxhitch
11-03-2014, 09:10 PM
There is no wolf bounty from anyone in B.C. , so might as well send them to market .

bearvalley
11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
The rumour is that there is a bounty for wolves taken in the Peace area. But then once you go through the Pine Pass your not really in BC. It's more like Alberta for a ways.

okas
11-04-2014, 09:36 AM
First I have head of anything.......care to share more details, just a little vague.

BTW isn't there a protocol for first posts???
BTW -?
Yes there is a bounty....just trying to collect .

Phreddy
11-04-2014, 10:08 AM
The best plan I've heard about was from a rancher in Quesnel. A couple years ago they ran into a bunch of flack trying to get a bounty initiated so they decided that they would all chip in some cash and hold a local contest, no entry charge, for the one who brings in the most dead wolves. It was quite successful according to the guy.

Alpine Addict
11-04-2014, 10:08 AM
There is a 650$ wolf compensation from the BC cattlemans association in the peace region. It's intended to be for wolves killed around agriculture land though, like community pasture.

ryanonthevedder
11-04-2014, 10:09 AM
A trapper friend of mine said its a bit of a convoluted process. He gets paid from several different parties. Hopefully you have some success with the process.

Drillbit
11-04-2014, 10:35 AM
The best plan I've heard about was from a rancher in Quesnel. A couple years ago they ran into a bunch of flack trying to get a bounty initiated so they decided that they would all chip in some cash and hold a local contest, no entry charge, for the one who brings in the most dead wolves. It was quite successful according to the guy.

Franks supermarket does a contest every year. Expensive rifle is the prize.

$50 to enter, and every wolf skull brought in gets an extra ticket in the hat. They cut the tongue to know they've seen it.

I've heard lots about bounty's, but when you have a body, nobody seems to know anything. I've never been paid.

bearvalley
11-04-2014, 11:43 AM

The cash chipped in by the ranchers was given to the local trapping association. The trappers hold a contest for most wolves, etc.
The contest is only for licenced trappers and organized by the trappers. In that way it remains politically correct.

Singleshotneeded
11-04-2014, 02:35 PM
I'd be all for it but haven't heard anything solid...

Phreddy
11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
It was a while back that I talked to the guy so I could have got the story mixed up. Sorry for any misinformation.

Junorr500
11-04-2014, 06:49 PM
If they wanted the wolf population controlled the ministry ought to hand out a mulie doe tag for every wolf shot. And if you save up 5 or so you should be able to trade them in for a moose tag. Considering the number of animals that wolves kill it would be a fair trade off.

stinkyduck
11-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Wouldn't that be nice!!

Spy
11-04-2014, 08:35 PM
If they wanted the wolf population controlled the ministry ought to hand out a mulie doe tag for every wolf shot. And if you save up 5 or so you should be able to trade them in for a moose tag. Considering the number of animals that wolves kill it would be a fair trade off.
Great idea 20 & you get a rosie draw ;-)

boxhitch
11-04-2014, 10:44 PM
The trappers hold a contest for most wolves, etc. The contest is only for licenced trappers and organized by the trappers.The ungulate enhancement program.

eriecreektrapper
11-05-2014, 06:48 AM
A successful wolf trapper can spend a lot of time and money trapping wolves, and only make a few hundred dollars. The same time and money spent on other furbearers, the trapper will make more money. a lot more

Trapping wolves is not easy, not everyone can do it

The most money for wolf trapping is paid when you release the wolf alive, with a radio collar.

boxhitch
11-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Maybe hunters should get together and make some donations to the trappers association to offset some of the expenses of trappers who target wolves and are successful ?
A little financial encouragement may go along ways to making hunting better for everyone .

zpruden
11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
I like that idea Boxhitch it would be a win win for both parties

bearvalley
11-05-2014, 08:25 AM
I agree with Boxhitch as well. A well funded trapping program could go a long ways towards making more wildlife. A wolf hide on a stretcher board makes more sense than studying how much meat a collared one can eat.

eriecreektrapper
11-06-2014, 07:36 PM
This year, if I get any that are taxidermy quality I will get them tanned up professionally. what would you guys pay for one? a complete hide for a full mount

Jesse_01
11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
I know trappers will usually buy wolves off of a person. You won't get rich, but it will pay for your ammo.

okas
11-08-2014, 10:53 PM
I know trappers will usually buy wolves off of a person. You won't get rich, but it will pay for your ammo.

Your ammo and fuel. I just like to kill them when you see yotes pulling down moose calf's it is good shooting practice.. I Gave up on the bounty ??? And 2 out of 3 warrdens up here have a brain ...we all no the dark hair Italian ...I have trouble with the language here and make a mess out of every thing I do???? This guy will be the head or the next prime minister of Canada da da da oh will if I did not understand Italian I would not have a gov. Job in Italy. Infraction time already I am guessing..

Jesse_01
11-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Lol I made no sense of what you said. I live on 1000 acres, what haplens here, stays here. My going to grow a healthy deer population and maybe even elk. My busy hunting season doesn't start until feb on. Deer, wolves, beers in spring.

okas
11-08-2014, 11:46 PM
No sence ??? Really I make no ?!?out of your reply.. A elk and deer managment with all the wolfs and yotes
I am missing the rainbow worrier and Paull and the crew..... Soory you are way ahead of me

The Dawg
11-09-2014, 01:27 AM
www.wolftracker.ca

Jesse_01
11-09-2014, 09:40 AM
www.wolftracker.ca

I just signed up. Looks like a fun contest. I will pass it around to people I know.

gcreek
11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
After losing $50,000 worth of cattle this summer to preds I would gladly pay a "bounty" for any killed on my range area or immediate vicinity. Interesting that BCCA has money for the Peace but no mention of any funds for other areas of the province.

bearvalley
11-09-2014, 11:42 AM
After losing $50,000 worth of cattle this summer to preds I would gladly pay a "bounty" for any killed on my range area or immediate vicinity. Interesting that BCCA has money for the Peace but no mention of any funds for other areas of the province.
It's not a BCCA program. It's the local Peace River cattlemens association supported in part by local Goverment (Regional District) I was told. To bad more groups don't follow this approach and the one where the Quesnel cattlemens work with the local trappers. If the hunting fraternity got on track with these type of programs there would be the financial incentive to lower predator numbers. The average hunter doesn't shoot enough wolves to even put a dent in the population. Computers kill even less.

tigrr
11-09-2014, 08:37 PM
gcreek where are you located?

gcreek
11-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Anahim Lake

scretch
11-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Let me know if and when you want wolf shooters on your land or nearbye.I hunt the Big Creek area so am not far from where you are. Also have interested and experienced hunting partners who would jump at the chance to bingo a few dogs.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Its interesting, why have the ranchers not contributed any funds to by more traps and snares for local trappers. I get at least 6 every winter and all I get is a pat on the back from the local ranchers. Yet some of them have not killed a wolf in years. Sorry to hear about your losses again gcreek, time for the government to start a 1080 program for a while.

steveo
11-10-2014, 12:58 PM
To my knowledge a local game club purchased some traps for an interested local trapper to trap in the game club's hunting areas. I still think too many expectations are put on the trapper with out enough help financially. I would think if local ranchers, game clubs, bcwf and even local first nations bands bought and owned wolf trapping gear for the trappers that might be more incentive. A recognized trapper would sign gear out each year and give it back each year or even a nominal amount of gear was given to chosen trappers to use. The problem with getting paid for what you produce idea is the trappers getting paid are the ones that have gear, have the knowledge and probably a trapline. There is not much incentive for new trappers to get involved or even an active trapper to try his hand at trapping wolves because it will be an investment of several thousand dollars and probably a few years before enough knowledge is accumulated to start harvesting wolves.

northernbc
11-18-2014, 08:50 PM
okas,are you going thru sunset prairie or goodlow cattlemans association.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-18-2014, 09:02 PM
I guess I should add I have killed 21 wolves the past 3 winters 26 of them in a 10 acre patch of woods on private land, I don't have a trapline.

Iron Sighted
11-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Your ammo and fuel. I just like to kill them when you see yotes pulling down moose calf's it is good shooting practice.. I Gave up on the bounty ??? And 2 out of 3 warrdens up here have a brain ...we all no the dark hair Italian ...I have trouble with the language here and make a mess out of every thing I do???? This guy will be the head or the next prime minister of Canada da da da oh will if I did not understand Italian I would not have a gov. Job in Italy. Infraction time already I am guessing..

No sence ??? Really I make no ?!?out of your reply.. A elk and deer managment with all the wolfs and yotes
I am missing the rainbow worrier and Paull and the crew..... Soory you are way ahead of me

Lmao! If I am reading your initial post correctly(not easy to do given the brutal grammar, sentence/paragraph structure and poor punctuation) , you are criticizing a C.O. in your area for struggling with English because it isn't his first language? So what is your excuse?

gcreek
11-19-2014, 08:38 PM
I guess I should add I have killed 21 wolves the past 3 winters 26 of them in a 10 acre patch of woods on private land, I don't have a trapline.

Better do your math over again CH......... I am chuckling good heartedly.

As to your question about traps, a CO asked our Asso. for monetary help in purchasing traps for them about 3 years back. When I asked him where the 150+ traps were that the Ministry had purchased for them 3 years previous he was at a loss for an answer.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-19-2014, 09:13 PM
That is true, it takes a rancher to catch the math mistakes. that should have said 16 not 26

adriaticum
11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Gcreek, when is the best time to find wolves around your cattle?

gcreek
11-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Gcreek, when is the best time to find wolves around your cattle?

365 days out of the year.

gcreek
11-20-2014, 07:06 AM
That is true, it takes a rancher to catch the math mistakes. that should have said 16 not 26

You are doing damnned good Doug.

gcreek
11-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Interesting.

The last few days have given up some disturbing information.

Head predator liason between BCCA and MOE claims he wasn't aware that the Bio whose desk in the same office is 20 feet away was collaring wolves in our area 3 years ago.

Bio was not aware that wolf/livestock depredation was as bad as it is or that BCCA has an ongoing wildlife damage survey.

BCCA not aware that info passed to Victoria was not reaching regional offices where it might do some good.

Predator liason claiming bios use this info to determine predator management strategies in different areas. This bit of info in his article in the latest BCCA magazine.

No wonder things are so phucked up.

Sum Ting Wong.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-21-2014, 10:03 PM
gcreek, I have had the same conversation at the conservation office in the past. The two doors are 6 feet apart and no one passes on information to each other. I big problem for sure.

gcreek
11-21-2014, 10:47 PM
gcreek, I have had the same conversation at the conservation office in the past. The two doors are 6 feet apart and no one passes on information to each other. I big problem for sure.

If that happened two civil servants just might have to work with each other. God Forbid!

bridger
11-21-2014, 11:19 PM
To my knowledge a local game club purchased some traps for an interested local trapper to trap in the game club's hunting areas. I still think too many expectations are put on the trapper with out enough help financially. I would think if local ranchers, game clubs, bcwf and even local first nations bands bought and owned wolf trapping gear for the trappers that might be more incentive. A recognized trapper would sign gear out each year and give it back each year or even a nominal amount of gear was given to chosen trappers to use. The problem with getting paid for what you produce idea is the trappers getting paid are the ones that have gear, have the knowledge and probably a trapline. There is not much incentive for new trappers to get involved or even an active trapper to try his hand at trapping wolves because it will be an investment of several thousand dollars and probably a few years before enough knowledge is accumulated to start harvesting wolves.

our club bought wolf traps a few years back and gave them to local trappers. A well intentioned program but didn't do much good. Financial incentives to trappers makes more sense. Around 250 wolves caught under the peace river program last winter.

bridger
11-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Impressive! Snares or calling or a combination of both.

Busterpayton54
11-21-2014, 11:36 PM
This thread annoys me. I live on the coast, I'm too busy, nor do I manage my finances well enought to take much time off work so I have been spending the weekends near bridge lake looking for wolves. I've see tracks, they've answered my calls but that is all. The action is too far away for me.

Does anyone know how they are doing in the hungry valley area of gang ranch? That is the only place I've seen a pack, I intend on getting in there this winter if it's worth while, but hell I'd try to go anywhere if it's worth while...

chilcotin hillbilly
11-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Impressive! Snares or calling or a combination of both.

I trap most of them, typically up to 6 a season. I then shoot some as well. Last year I had a moose tag and shot 3 in one week while moose hunting. All different days. I should have had more but hitting wolves on the run is tough.

eric
11-22-2014, 09:04 AM
our club bought wolf traps a few years back and gave them to local trappers. A well intentioned program but didn't do much good. Financial incentives to trappers makes more sense. Around 250 wolves caught under the peace river program last winter.

Looks like the rest of the Province needs to adopt the peace river program....:-D