PDA

View Full Version : Mule down - Finally

RadHimself
11-02-2014, 07:00 PM
well, hiked my ass off for 3 weeks getting to know whats left of my old spots.

went for a cruise on the 28th, not feeling all that enthused as frusteration was begging to set in. went up and over on an old road that was rediculously treed in and deactivated and down into a steep gully area i hadnt been to since i was about 12yrs old with my grandpa. came down outa the snow into the fog then into the rain idling along in 4-lo 2nd gear just finding waypoints on my gps trying to get a feel for the area lookin for places to hike to and explore over the next few days as i wasnt too sure what to expect. came around a corner and seen a doe cross the road, hop up the bank and go about 20yrds into a bit of a thicket. i got onto the shoulder, killed the truck and grabbed my binos and waited for about 15 mins. she was acting kinda wierd and kept looking to her left along the bank and i couldnt see cause of the brush. so i quietly hopped out, threw my hiking boots and wet weather bibs on, grabbed my gun and carefully climbed up the bank tryin to be invisible. got to within 20 yards of the doe and then noticed the other 3 deer that were with her... 2 does and a buck, he popped his head up and looked at me. i was about 300yards from the truck now up a hill slowly walking with the deer, wind was blowing down hill towards me and i slowly crept along with them as they fed. the buck was staying close to the other 2 does and keeping them between me and him. he popped his head up again as a stepped on a twig that wasnt quite wet enough "snap".. F%$K!! i thought, here we go... i saw antlers poking up above his ears a good 6 inches, so i decided against being greedy and im taking him. he bounced about 4 times with the other 2 does, the 3rd i'd lost track of as i was not paying attention to her anymore... he calmed down about 90 yards away, i double wrapped my sling around my forearm, found a tree to lean against and waited for him to step away from the doe and between 2 4" wide trees... she took a few steps, he turned and took a step to sniff at her, i saw boiler room and BANG flop... like he got hit by lighting. My first test deer absolutley nailed with a 110grn TSX leaving the muzzle @ 3600fps.

found a new area to explore and got a deer down... now i gotta pack my gear up and drive to Manitoba to work till xmas.

Happy hunting guys, i got mine. Finally5111

.264winmag
11-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Nice work, should be tasty!

Wentrot
11-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Dierks Bentley can hunt!

kennyj
11-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Nice buck! Thanks for the story.
kenny

epicZERO74
11-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Haha Mule down, Blacktail down and Moose down, all in the recent posts thing at the same time :P Congrats on the deer!

Backwoodninjajunky
11-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Good on ya man!!!!