PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Fences

Sylus
11-02-2014, 03:54 PM
So I was out in region 3 and I was cutting cross-country on foot and then I ran into a barbed wire fence. This fence was fallen over in a number places and was missing wire, the thing was useless. So I opted not to cross the fence with concerns about DLR in mind. But what are the actual rules on this? If the fence is clearly old and not being maintained and I cross it, unknowingly putting me in private property can I get in shit, or am I covered cause the landowner didn't make clear the borders of his property?

I would figure if you want people not to go on your land it is your responsibility to make sure people know where crown stops and your land begins.

On a side note I had a guy at the desert inn pub in merrit claiming to have hell angel's associates tell me not to mess with DLR as the cattle boy's can be "mean SOBs". I found that interesting.

Cheers, Sylus

MerrittBow
11-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I havnt had any troubles with DLC Cowboys while hiking. I think they only care when you drive around on the grasslands. Be careful around cherryvile tho

Dmytro
11-02-2014, 05:45 PM
unknowingly putting me in private property

I don't know about "unknowingly" but if you have any reason to know that a particular piece of land is private property (even if there are no fences whatsoever) it is best to stay away. Not because of laws, but simply out of respect to the folks' right to privacy and peaceful enjoyment of their (most likely hard earned) property.

As for actual laws- the trespassing laws are useless. An RCMP officer told me earlier this year they had standing orders "not to pursue" trespassers once they start trying to get away from police. Lots of idiots knowingly trespass and then run away from police.

Sofa King
11-02-2014, 05:49 PM
it's up to the person to know where he can and can't hike.
but, there's many fences throughout region 3 that are on crown land and can be crossed.
just remember to leave gates how you found them.
sounds like you met a merritt big-mouth at the bar.

Sylus
11-03-2014, 12:36 AM
but, there's many fences throughout region 3 that are on crown land and can be crossed.
just remember to leave gates how you found them.
sounds like you met a merritt big-mouth at the bar.

I was figuring the same thing about the guy at the bar, just thought I would throw it out there anyway

Buckmeister
11-03-2014, 01:01 AM
I lived on a large fenced property where the fences were in good shape, except for one particular out of the way spot where a tree had fallen on it and didn't know that had happened. Two guys decided to access the property at this point. When I found them they admitted they knew they were on private property but thought it was ok because the fence was down and because the former owner used to let them hunt there anyways. Trying not to loose too much of my cool I reminded them that the former owner had been deceased 8 years earlier and I didn't appreciate them poaching deer on that property (they snuck in a few days earlier and shot a buck, I found the evidence the next morning, they didn't deny it was them and I recognized their quad tire tracks and boot tracks they left in the snow). They whined and complained but left in a quick enough hurry. I reported them but nothing came of it since they were there on an atv and I didn't have a vehicle description or know who they were or where they were from. Oh yes, the property was posted with signs at all "normal" access points.

Sylus
11-03-2014, 09:02 AM
I lived on a large fenced property where the fences were in good shape, except for one particular out of the way spot where a tree had fallen on it and didn't know that had happened. Two guys decided to access the property at this point. When I found them they admitted they knew they were on private property but thought it was ok because the fence was down and because the former owner used to let them hunt there anyways. Trying not to loose too much of my cool I reminded them that the former owner had been deceased 8 years earlier and I didn't appreciate them poaching deer on that property (they snuck in a few days earlier and shot a buck, I found the evidence the next morning, they didn't deny it was them and I recognized their quad tire tracks and boot tracks they left in the snow). They whined and complained but left in a quick enough hurry. I reported them but nothing came of it since they were there on an atv and I didn't have a vehicle description or know who they were or where they were from. Oh yes, the property was posted with signs at all "normal" access points.

That is really to bad those guys did that, and that there was no retribution for it.

Sofa King, what is the best way to find land ownership status that you know of? I have the google earth layer for it but I am wondering about something i can bring with me.

Drache
11-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Here in region 5 you'll find a lot of fenced land which is grazing leases. From talking to a CO on the subject, you can hunt a grazing lease as long as there are no cattle on it. But it's up to a person to know the difference between private property and a grazing lease. Same goes for woods lots as well.

mod7rem
11-03-2014, 01:13 PM
There aren't very many grazing leases, most are grazing permits/licences which as far as I can gather have no legal restriction to public access.