PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail Blues

BDN9
11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
I just missed the what was possibly biggest blacktail I've ever seen alive let alone had a shot at. I'm completely depressed. It was really exciting too which is helping me cope.

I put my deer target out in the middle of a meadow as a decoy and figured I was wasting my time but, what the heck, it was only an hour before dark and it was a nice evening to sit outside. I tried a series of doe bleats every 15 minutes. About 50 minutes in I slowly stood up to see a little more and right away I caught movement. Sure enough, it's a BIG blacktail looking right at the decoy about 120 yards away. He bounded off behind some blackberries so I made another bleat and waited. I thought I'd blown it by standing and he was gone but then he appeared on the other side of the bushes. He looked for about a minute and here is when I got to see how big he was, he was a tall and wide 3X4 with a big body. I was starting to shake now and trying to gain control but it all happened quickly after this. He jumped the fence, walked right for my decoy and was moving fast. At this point he wasn't offering any shot so I kept ranging him, 55 yards, 45 yards, 40, 35 yards and that's when I clipped in. He took about 5 (or it turns out maybe more) steps and turned broadside. I guessed 30 yards, drew, he looked at me but didn't move and squeezed off what felt like a perfect shot....the arrow went straight over his back! He bounded about 30 yards and then slowly walked off. I didn't think he was too spooked and I didn't want to spook him more so I left him. I know where I'll be going at the next few weeks. I just hope I get another chance.

When I walked out I ranged where I think he was and I think it was 25-27 yards. I still should have hit him with my 30 yard pin so I either screwed up the shot with buck fever or he ducked a few inches in combination with my aiming for 30 yards.

I posted this to make myself feel better but also let people know that blacktails come into decoys!!

I hope I'll be posting some pictures of him on the ground in a few weeks! For now I need a drink!

stixnstones
11-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Keep on em buds. U will get em. If not when I get back we will make him famous. Keep ur chin up.

ruger#1
11-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Keep at it. He will hang around if the does do. I shot a 3X3 one year around the black berries. SSGs shot gun only. First shot missed him. Then I couldn't see him. Then all I could see was a head and antlers. I aimed for his neck and then I pulled the trigger. It ran and jumped over a fence. Was I choked, Until I walked over and he was laying dead ten yards on the other side of the fence. I was also heading out to Clinton and passed a 2X2 in the same area. I was gone for a week, He was still in the same area when I came back. I put him in my freezer. Both Frazer valley black tails. So never give up. And try rattling him in, And throw in some doe bleats. Good luck

Drache
11-02-2014, 12:57 PM
It happens so keep your chin up. My dad missed a buck at 40 years simply because he was shooting a rifle he never shot before, that had a very nice crisp trigger (no creep) that he wasn't used to, and the rifle was sighted in for 200 yards. Dad's shot went clean over the deer's back.

Colinofthewoods
11-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Look on the brightside, if he comes back you will be twice as excited ! Plus now you know there is a big ol boy hanging around.

RoscoeP
11-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Well now you have a reason to go back there and be on high alert.

Big Lew
11-02-2014, 02:15 PM
With a little better luck, maybe you'll get another chance at him.
During the excitement of having a big buck come in closer and closer, it's
very easy to get 'buck fever' or pick the wrong pin.
I don't know if you remember, or have used the original prism rangefinders,
but they were notoriously difficult to use and inconsistent during the heat of
the moment. The first buck I arrowed was under those circumstances. I ranged
him at 40 yds, and like you, shot the arrow just over his back. Fortunately the sun
was behind me which allowed me a second shot which was good.

BDN9
11-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Had a bit of a sleepless night but I'm ready to go back for him. I'm going to give him a couple days to relax and then first. One thing I didn't mention is about 5 minutes after he walked away he jumped the fence and thrashed another deer. I think I found his territory and he's defending it so I'm going back with a buck decoy and will try to grunt and rattle him in.

Big Lew, that thought crossed my mind. I can't remember if I used my yellow (30 yard) or red (40 yard) pin. Damn. Well at least you learn something every time you miss. The other thing I'm doing in the future is aiming for the heart, not the lungs. I'm sure he ducked.