PDA

View Full Version : Summit Treestand Safety Rope

Iltasyuko
11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Can someone with a Summit treestand let me know how long the safety rope is that came with the stand? Lost mine and have to build a new one - the rope that comes with the stand is a good length.

Thanks.

Ambush
11-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I have the Hunter Safety System rope and I believe it is twenty five feet. Should be thirty.

If you are making it anyway just make it is the same length as the most height that you ever expect your platform to be. Max 30' platform = 30' rope plus the average tree girth.

I priced out rope and hardware and it was cheaper for me to buy the HSS rope set.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
do you mean the rope for pulling your stuff up with?
make it match whatever height you go up with your stand.

Iltasyuko
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Guys I'm talking the safety rope that goes around the tree and hooks to your harness. Not a line to pull your gear up with.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Guys I'm talking the safety rope that goes around the tree and hooks to your harness. Not a line to pull your gear up with.

is it really a rope?
shouldn't it be a strap?

Iltasyuko
11-01-2014, 09:48 PM
It's a rope.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 09:54 PM
it should be pretty easy to figure out.
just make it what feels comfortable yet won't allow you much slack.
the plan is to never need it anyway.

Ambush
11-02-2014, 08:07 AM
OK thought your were talking about the "ground to stand" safety rope with the sliding prussac knot.

I prefer a strap for what your talking about and that's what most stands come with. Likely just a cost factor thing though.
But go to Hunter Safety Systems website and they have those ropes to. Otherwise use the girth of the biggest tree you hunt from plus a foot for the tag end and some for tying the loops.

Just checked and the HSS tree rope is eight feet long and has a sliding prussac knot for quickly adjusting the amount of slack.

Iltasyuko
11-02-2014, 01:25 PM
I prefer the rope – don’t like the seat belt webbing thing.

The length of the Summit rope was perfect for being able to reach up the tree or even toss it up the tree trunk a ways, cinch it and then climb up to it and toss it up / cinch it and so on. Their rope was a good length to allow for this making for less messing with it on the way up.

Just kinda thought someone with a Summit would have the length handy before I go buy static rope from the climbing shop.

Ambush
11-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I can definitely see the advantage to the rope, particularly for a climbing stand.

The Lifeline is perfect if you leave a stand up. Ground to stand to ground attachment even through limbs.

But then I getting too old to fall out of trees.

Iltasyuko
11-02-2014, 03:35 PM
"But then I getting too old to fall out of trees."

Yeah that would suck - lets hope that never happens.

mooze
11-02-2014, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Ambush;1560761]OK thought your were talking about the "ground to stand" safety rope with the sliding prussac knot.

The thing is called Prusik-knot. What is better and easier to handle with cold fingers is a DMM ropeman
http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=ropeman

or if you want to go luxury (cause you can rappel with it as well and it easily adjusts for length of rope that you have to move around with a Petzl GriGri
http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=grigri

Prusiks suck, especially when it is getting wet or cold.
Please make sure your rope meets the specs, at least 8.8 mm and usually a climbing type Kernmantel rope.

J_T
11-03-2014, 06:50 AM
I normally use straps that come with the harness as everyone says, however. You can use a good rope as your safety loop around the tree. The length doesn't matter. It's more a question of the size (diameter) of trees where you hunt.

Take a rope, create a figure of eight loop knot in one end, pass the end around the tree, put the other end of the rope through the figure eight loop and tie off a bowline. Leave some slack in the rope. Right above where you sit on the stand reach up to the rope, take that slack and tie a 'bowline on a bite'. Now you have a loop to clip in to with your harness. Lastly, check the bowline knot and adjust it to tighten up the rope.

As added safety you can use a long rope for this and where you tie off with the bowline, leave the long tail of the rope hang to the ground and you can use it as a top rope when you are climbing in to the stand.