PDA

View Full Version : Moose opener Okanagan

boxhitch
11-01-2014, 04:46 AM
Was hoping for some fresh snow at elevation this morning , but it looks like the rain overnight was rain up high too.
Currently 0 deg. at 1600 meters.
Haven't found a forking spiker yet this year , hope that changes soon . Mmmmmm moose meat .....

OutWest
11-01-2014, 04:48 AM
Best of luck. Buddy ran into one last week along the *V*. He won't last too long into legal shooting light if he stays there.

coach
11-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Good luck guys.. I'm headed to 8-12 this morning to help spot a bull for a friend and his son who have that coveted draw. :-D

tooley
11-01-2014, 06:05 AM
let the gong show begin

Buckmeister
11-01-2014, 07:59 AM
let the gong show begin

No doubt tooley. I'm opting to wait till after the weekend to find a moose so I don't get shot by mistake! Don't go wearing black out there this weekend anybody!!!!

Liveforthehunt
11-01-2014, 08:41 AM
I saw 2 together just a few days ago twins I assume just spinets but after I shoot one of em I'll give you coordinates heading out for the day here soon

GoatGuy
11-01-2014, 10:34 AM
No doubt tooley. I'm opting to wait till after the weekend to find a moose so I don't get shot by mistake! Don't go wearing black out there this weekend anybody!!!!

This is pretty rediculous.

Makes me wonder where people are hunting with all the complaints about hunter pressure on here lately.

Vote with your feet; get out of the truck and go for a walk. Probably 30,000km2 or better in okanagan region. Should be able to find your own little piece of bush.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Makes me wonder where people are hunting with all the complaints about hunter pressure on here lately.

Vote with your feet; get out of the truck and go for a walk. Probably 30,000km2 or better in okanagan region. Should be able to find your own little piece of bush.

Agreed. Plus this is the first year where the moose season does not overlap with the any muley buck and antlerless whitetail season. I would imagine moose hunting pressure would be no where but down.

SSS

Whonnock Boy
11-01-2014, 03:39 PM
I know of one down this morning. I'm jealous!!! :twisted:

Brizz
11-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Agree I hunt region 8 exclusively and almost never see other hunters... Not all hike hunting too.

one-shot-wonder
11-01-2014, 07:48 PM
One of the local honey holes produced a forky to a happy local this AM. This was a surprise bull as the 3x2 that was on camera was most likely the gut pile found a week ago to a lucky LEH draw holder. Cool to have an "unknown" bull come out of the blue.

vehicle volume was definitely up today, will bush traffic was quiet...too quiet! :-?

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Hunted all day in Region 8 and only saw 2 other hunters. I guess it depends where you go.

The mulw rut is ON! Watched a buck with his nose on the ground and ass in the air beelining through the Christmas trees. He finally stopped and looked at me for a few seconds when he realized someone was watching him, then continued on his way. He was puffed up bigger than Coach's balls at a Carole James fundraiser.

He was at least a 3, but I couldn't put a 4th point on him before he went over the ridge.

No mooses today. Maybe tomorrow.

358mag
11-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Agree I hunt region 8 exclusively and almost never see other hunters... Not all hike hunting too.

Not sure what part of region 8 you hunt in , was out this am doing a F-D tour and no shortage of road warriors and everyone I talked to was out for the Spike Fork Moose opening .

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Not sure what part of region 8 you hunt in , was out this am doing a F-D tour and no shortage of road warriors and everyone I talked to was out for the Spike Fork Moose opening .

Good to see the ol' Hop-along is out and about! ;)

I'm a wounded road warrior too, nursing 9 stitches in my neck. Figured I better stay within sight of the truck today.

358mag
11-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Good to see the ol' Hop-along is out and about! ;)

Yes it was very nice to get out and about even got took the Polaris out after I got it pull started !!!! dam quad battery cant get more than 3 years out of them before they go dead ..:twisted:

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 09:12 PM
there should be a few illegally shot moose laying around up bear creek by now.
I don't know why, but it always seem that with moose, a lot of people just shoot and id later.

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Yes it was very nice to get out and about even got took the Polaris out after I got it pull started !!!! dam quad battery cant get more than 3 years out of them before they go dead ..:twisted:

Good taste in quads! I bought one of those glass-pack batteries, will see if it lasts longer than a conventional one. I usually get about 4 or 5 years out of them depending how much I use them.

358mag
11-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Good taste in quads! I bought one of those glass-pack batteries, will see if it lasts longer than a conventional one. I usually get about 4 or 5 years out of them depending how much I use them.
Guess I don't use my Polaris enuff < 2000 model with only 2600 Kilos> my last battery was on of the Gel-pack and only got 4 years out of it .

Looking_4_Jerky
11-01-2014, 09:31 PM
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/Benny8156/imagejpg1_zps32734188.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Benny8156/media/imagejpg1_zps32734188.jpg.html)

coach
11-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Well, I guess we won the lotto. Partner and I had a perfect spiker on the ground by 7:30 this morning. Very quiet for hunters too. No idea how to post pics, tho.

congrats! That's awesome.. Picture posting instructions are in my sig line.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Well, I guess we won the lotto. Partner and I had a perfect spiker on the ground by 7:30 this morning. Very quiet for hunters too. No idea how to post pics, tho.

good job.
that's a jackpot for sure.

Buckmeister
11-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Guess I don't use my Polaris enuff < 2000 model with only 2600 Kilos> my last battery was on of the Gel-pack and only got 4 years out of it .

I bought my quad new 6 1/2 years ago, have over 8000kms logged on it now and battery is still going strong.

Buckmeister
11-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Good job. I've only seen two moose period this entire fall so far. Hoping that will change in the next few days.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I bought my quad new 6 1/2 years ago, have over 8000kms logged on it now and battery is still going strong.

same here, original battery in a used quad.
have ran it for several years now and it's stored outside all winter as well.
makes me want to have a look at it though.
actually, now that I think about it, I changed a battery the other year, but I'm pretty sure that was in the boat.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Good job. I've only seen two moose period this entire fall so far. Hoping that will change in the next few days.

I know where several are, and they were there last year as well.
and one for sure is a spiker.
but seeing it again is another thing altogether.
I'd love a moose, but i'll be looking for my buck instead.
c'mon snow, I wanna kill something.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Well, lost the story when I edited the post to include the picture. Oh well. The legend does exist, anyway.

troutseeker
11-02-2014, 02:23 AM
My buddy got a spiker today, all by himslef, made for a long day. He is a happy camper!

Caribou_lou
11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I know of one being shot Kamloops area. We saw a young cow sky lined and I tried as hard as I could to put antler on her with no luck.

two-feet
11-02-2014, 07:51 AM
A set of big moose antlers sure looks good on the wood shed, but a spiker moose is the best damn eating there is for wild game in my opinion. Congrats to those that are successful.

.300WSMImpact!
11-02-2014, 07:53 AM

you havent hunted region 8-09 then, I think they should make orange a law around some areas

Junorr500
11-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Was sitting on a ridge from daybreak waiting for a immie to step out. Bout 8 all he'll broke loose. Heard 18 shots in the next hour from all around me. Was glad I was wearing oarnge but I still nearly dove underneath the nearest log. Lol. Saw a couple mature moose in a cut way off and that was it for me. Know of 2 immies that came out from behind westbank. From the amount of shooting there may have been a few more. Though it was opener for a few LEH as well so who knows what was getting tagged. Definatly a busy morning.

landphil
11-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Saw what was almost positively ID'ed as a forker at over 550 yds, but he was a slippery bugger and pulled a disappearing stunt down a draw. Saw him or another small bull glassing the same area from another area, but couldn't arrange a closer meeting. I've got other things to do today, but hopefully the brother will connect when he's back up there today.

OutWest
11-02-2014, 11:47 AM
you havent hunted region 8-09 then, I think they should make orange a law around some areas

Barely seen a soul in 8-09 this year.

coach
11-02-2014, 12:16 PM

X2.. I think I've seen three people. Of course two of them spooked a herd of elk I was watching. :icon_frow Other than that it's been pretty quiet.

.300WSMImpact!
11-02-2014, 03:14 PM

I am sure they saw you

sarg
11-02-2014, 03:23 PM
i ran in to a spike bull last Saturday up in 8-04 :(

Sylus
11-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I was out for mule deer in region 3 and managed to see 5 moose, 4 cows and one calf. All on foot but not more that 500 metres from the road. Layed down some boot leather and managed to spend almost the entire weekend in solitude.

OutWest
11-02-2014, 03:46 PM
I am sure they saw you

Could care less if they have. No need to sensationalize everything.

GoatGuy
11-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Think I have hunted that MU this year. Saw 3 people we didn't know - that was it.

Went out today hanging trail cams - saw 0 people in the bush. I'm sure there are a number of people road hunting........... and complaining about other hunters lol!

I heard there are a few self-proclaimed 'big buck/bull hunters' in 8-09 who complain about any buck seasons and then shoot dink 4 pts, and small bull elk though. Think they're road hunters by and large. Yellow quad maybe?

Don't want to see hunters get off the road - it's that simple.

M.Dean
11-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Barely seen a soul in 8-09 this year. Up here in 3-97, Zone NWH, me and a couple friends covered one hell'va lot of country this morning, never seen a bloody soul either! Seen a few does, lots of Moose and Deer tracks, but nothing worth shooting!

boxhitch
11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Had a full day yesterday , could have filled a bull leh but none in the pocket , filled up on fir' wood instead. Saw one other truck.
Today , only had a short a.m. hunt , and saw 2 hikers and 3 autvs in one hour ! Not surprised , that road almost has a urban flair.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Haha. Sounds like you need to hire a guide, Boxhitch. Not to find you a moose.......just to be able to shoot one😜

Liveforthehunt
11-02-2014, 08:19 PM
I saw an immy today small spikes and a cow third one I have seen still with mama ... Too far off the road though lol ;) I'll be going back to try this week maybe weekend of someone else doesn't see him ... Need to slap the boat on before the lake freezes :p

300H&H
11-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Hunted all day in Region 8 and only saw 2 other hunters. I guess it depends where you go.

The mulw rut is ON! Watched a buck with his nose on the ground and ass in the air beelining through the Christmas trees. He finally stopped and looked at me for a few seconds when he realized someone was watching him, then continued on his way. He was puffed up bigger than Coach's balls at a Carole James fundraiser.

He was at least a 3, but I couldn't put a 4th point on him before he went over the ridge.

No mooses today. Maybe tomorrow.

Hahahahahahaha epic quote, I love that. But I'm sure he prefers Justin Trudeau. :mrgreen:

.308 NORMA
11-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I got my immy today a 5x2, 416 pds. dressed.

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Saw an immy 2x2 today, but he was bouncing along in some lucky hunter's trailer with his tongue hanging out.

3 cow moose at daybreak and a couple of does. Slow day for us but lots of good BS and leftover Halloween candy. :D

ETA: ^^^ Congrats Norma on the 5x2!!!!!!!!!!!

Buckmeister
11-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Here is the link to some pics for your bull. I'll let you tell a story if you wish.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?111893-Moose-down

Phreddy
11-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Have had the same battery in my 2007 Can Am 400 outiy since I bought it new. "Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". Use it year around for everything from hunting and fishing to plowing snow. Only thing I had to replace was the winch which broke when plowing snow down our looooong driveway.

same here, original battery in a used quad.
have ran it for several years now and it's stored outside all winter as well.
makes me want to have a look at it though.
actually, now that I think about it, I changed a battery the other year, but I'm pretty sure that was in the boat.

.264winmag
11-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Haha my buddy saw you out there with the 5x2, that is awesome! Congrats and enjoy that meat, biggest immi you'll find:)