PDA

View Full Version : Pitt Marsh Motor Vehicle Question

huntingtime
10-30-2014, 01:13 PM
I think I know the answer to my own question but are we still allowed to bring boats with outboards into Pitt Marsh?

In the regs it now says:

- Motor Vehicle Closed Areas: see the definition of “Motor Vehicle” in the definitions section.
★Motor Vehicle Closed Areas: The operation of all motor vehicles is prohibited in these areas from April 1 to June 15, unless otherwise indicated

★Pitt / addington Marsh - effective year round

- Definition of a Motor Vehicle per the regs - means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an ATV or snowmobile, but does not include a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power; a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power

Thanks

J-Man
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
From that it says no motor boats year round.

huntingtime
10-30-2014, 02:29 PM
From that it says no motor boats year round.

That is what I thought as well by just reading the "Motor Vehicle Closed Areas" but the definition of a motor vehicle says "does not include a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power; a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power"

I am having a bit of conflict in my mind on what that means but it seems like they may be saying a motor vehicle does Not include a boat propelled by motorized power?

Or am I totally off here.

J-Man
10-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Kind of seems like your right, but I'm also not 100%. I would phone the CO office and get a ruling.

huntingtime
10-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know the CO phone number for the Pitt Meadows area? Cant seem to find it online. There is a general CO number online but sounds like its just for reporting things.

Dano
10-30-2014, 05:10 PM
They don't want motor vehicles on the damaging the nesting areas or driving on the dykes. Licensed or unlicensed.
Like it says, doesn't include a boat propelled by motorized power.

BimmerBob
10-30-2014, 05:32 PM
By the wording of the regulation quoted, boats with motors are allowed.

Ranger95
10-30-2014, 05:47 PM
unless some smart arsed council member in mission has had it changed, motorized boats are allowed in the pit polder.....

huntingtime
10-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys. Will try it out this weekend. Going to keep my eyes peeled for new signs anyways.

heyblast
11-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Just repeating what I was told Saturday by CO. Boat with outboard falls under motorized vehicle.

huntingtime
11-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Just repeating what I was told Saturday by CO. Boat with outboard falls under motorized vehicle.

Looking into this further I am thinking they would have used different wording than "motor vehicle" if they did not want "power boats" in the marsh. As "power boats" are separately defined in the regs.

From the Regs - Power Boat - means a boat, canoe or yacht powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or other mechanical means, but does not include a boat powered manually nor a boat with an outboard motor provided the motor is tilted or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready for immediate use.

They go as far as stating both motor vehicles and boats propelled by motors below.

From the Regs - It is unlawful to:
- shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.
- hunt migratory birds from a power boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind.

If I ever come across a CO I will certainly ask myself. Wish I knew how to get a hold of one.

J-Man
11-05-2014, 12:09 PM
I would agree with the above post. But most COs I have met over the last 25 some odd years are not people who negotiate nor like hearing they are reading the regs wrong. And the few challenges I do recall from friends all ended up having to be done in front of a judge. Granted the two times this happened, both with the Vanderhoof CO years back my buddies were successful.

f350ps
11-05-2014, 02:28 PM
OMG, read the regs, it's pretty clear!! A boat is allowed in the Pitt marsh, read the op's post, the very last line! Don't complicate things that aren't complicated. K

J-Man
11-05-2014, 03:36 PM
OMG, read the regs, it's pretty clear!! A boat is allowed in the Pitt marsh, read the op's post, the very last line! Don't complicate things that aren't complicated. K

Problem here is, now potentially a CO said it counts, so that CO could ticket you and now your left to fight it.

Dano
11-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Gladly fight it over rowing out there just in case.
About 8 years ago the CO gave me a written warning because I had 2 guns in cases and he said one had to be locked while I hunted. I said I'm good with one in a case, taken apart or locked in my blind while I hunted with the other. He phoned the next day to say I was right and next time I was checked he wrote something of a retraction where he had written the other note.
So I asked if he had seen any serious infractions out there, he said he checked out a guy who said he had a snow goose but found a swan in his trunk! I told him snows weren't even open north of the Fraser and he said he thought they were but looked it up and I was right again. (But it's since been opened, this was years ago). Might be a different CO now, I was checked by a different guy a few years back.
So they aren't perfect, but when I get a ticket I'll have to go to court I guess to see if what I read in the regs under definitions is correct. But the Pitt Addington isn't just the Pitt Marsh, it's the Coquitlam side of Minnikada up to the lake above Koerner Rd. Pretty sure boating is allowed on the Pitt River.....

f350ps
11-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Problem here is, now potentially a CO said it counts, so that CO could ticket you and now your left to fight it.
You're kidding right? As I said earlier, READ the regs, it's very clear!!! Or, better yet, get a pair of oars and don't lose anymore sleep over it! K

heyblast
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM

WHAT I WAS TOLD Do what ever the hell you want, I dont care.

f350ps
11-08-2014, 06:01 PM

- Definition of a Motor Vehicle per the regs - means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an ATV or snowmobile, but does not include a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power; a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power

The CO was wrong, simple as that!! Read above from "but does not include." Just because a CO or a cop says it's so doesn't always mean it's correct, that's where thinking for yourself comes in! If a boat was a motorized vehicle would you be able to use it in any fish spawning rivers? K

Beerhunter93
11-15-2014, 09:16 PM
I met a CO out there last day of open season last year. You CAN use boats in the marsh, the catch is you can't on the non hunting sides of the dykes, his words.