PDA

View Full Version : pittbull grouse dog

hoochie
10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
we were camped in an area where we had seen bear and lots of coyote sign. we could hear the coyotes yipping at night, and had seen lots of sign. As we sat in camp one late afternoon before heading out for a deer hunt, my dog scoots up a hill and started growling. She doesn't make these kind of noises normally, so I figured something must be wrong. she doesn't bark at deer etc, so I thought "oh shit...coyote, wolf or bear". I grab my shotgun and haul ass to where she was; I couldn't call her off.. she wouldn't come back; she just stood her ground growling and barking. Once I got to where she was, I see that she is standing up against the tree and barking. I look around and don't see anything. Then I look up and see she has treed 3 grouse.
swap over to birdshot and bag 2 of them.

She had always been on the leash when I would grouse hunt, I never let her run around when grouse hunting. Maybe she picked up on it? Now I let her run and flush um, she knows the game now

kilometers
10-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Nice. I thought about trying it with my pitty. I no friends who do it with their dogs and are very successful

markomoose
10-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Thats cool.Always wondered if bullys would be good for hunting.Question answered thanks.Your dogs ok with the shotgun?

hoochie
10-30-2014, 10:58 AM
yes, she is ok with the shotgun. she doesn't like the sound of it being racked, but she is fine with it being shot. As soon as the birds hit the ground, she will go to them.

MRP
10-30-2014, 12:58 PM
got corgi cross she's a grate bird dog.

10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Dont take this wrong guys...... but your standards for a "Great" bird dog are pretty low.

hoochie
10-30-2014, 03:03 PM
I was just surprised that she did it at all!

10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
my Buddy had a pitbull cross.... it put them up alright..... but you sure didnt want it to get a hol;d of the dead bird

russm
10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
I've got a french bulldog and once he's on a rabbit there's no getting him off of it, he was too young this year to see if he could find any grouse lol