PDA

View Full Version : Muley and Whitey Populations near Chase

smeegle
10-29-2014, 09:09 PM
My father is out visiting family for ten days in and around chase and managed to get out for a two day hike with his gun. He told me today he saw a mammoth buck but no shot presented itself. I am not familiar with the area and was curious to know if the deer populations are strong in this area or if it is hunted pretty hard?

lovemywinchester
10-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Every square inch of reg 3 that is accessible by road has lots of pressure and is hunted hard. Posting about mammoth bucks still walking around is only going to increase hunting pressure around there. The Chase locals will thank you I am sure.

Whats the first rule of fight club?

mikeman20
10-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Every square inch of reg 3 that is accessible by road has lots of pressure and is hunted hard. Posting about mammoth bucks still walking around is only going to increase hunting pressure around there. The Chase locals will thank you I am sure.

Whats the first rule of fight club?

And this is exactly why new hunters have such a hard time and often give up!

Thank you for helping to kill the sport

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 09:52 AM

whaaaa???
piss on that.
new hunters can get out there and put in some time and miles on their boots and wheels to learn the areas like I have over many, many years.
I didn't put in all that work and time to just freely give it up to every hunter who's just going out for their first season and are asking where they can drive to to kill a big deer.

"helping to kill the sport"??
well, for one, it's definitely NOT a sport.
but also, I'd rather see the future be filled with hunters who are willing to do some work for themselves, not just a bunch of city-slickers who want others to do the work.
if one is going to give up after one season of tag soup, then they picked the wrong past-time and good-riddance to the lazy farts.

mikeman20
10-30-2014, 10:05 AM
In 1982 there was ~185,000 hunting licenses sold
2012; 95,000. Nearly half as many.

Do you really think that if hunting keeps declining it will still be left alone by anti hunting governments? You can't possibly be that ignorant
We have safety in our numbers and you are selfishly sabotaging that. We need to hang together, or we will surely hang alone.

Hunting is really, REALLY expensive. A new hunter spending thousands of dollars to bumble around in a bad area and get skunked because no one will give ANY advice is going to harm you in the long run. The area the OP was asking about likely holds hundreds if not thousands of deer, but you're being stingey about the POSSIBILITY of him shooting ONE.

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
get real.
"selfishly sabatoging"??
by not willfully putting up all the gps coordinates to all my areas that I've spent over twenty years finding?
if you are such a saviour to hunting, I expect your next post to include all your coordinates and some detailed maps showing us where you've gotten all your animals.

Mikey Rafiki
10-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Nobody is asking for gps coordinates or even roads... so I don't see where you're coming from.

Helping someone by saying an area has good deer populations isn't going to hurt anyone's chances. People really overestimate the number of people who frequent this forum...

But hey, Region 4 is full of big bucks too so come to Cranbrook! (waiting for the stampede and locals to lynch me...)

smeegle
10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
I live in Whitehorse now so I wont be hunting BC, I grew up on Vancouver Island and have never hunted region 3 I was just curious as to what the deer populations are like be they healthy or not and if whiteys are pushing the mule deer out. I am not asking for spots or any info was just curious. Great fight club reference and totally appropriate, also do you know what happens to those who assume?

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 10:29 AM
it's like bc outdoors magazine.
every spring, they put a big article on a certain lake that is doing real well.
not much point going there that year, unless you like company, because everyone reads that and flocks to it.
similar ideology on here.
a big buck is seen on a post, and everyone wants to know where it was.
well, it was where it was because it's not getting over-pressured.
that will quickly change if those spots are all revealed.
I know someone who used to post on here.
he got fed up and quit because of all the hassle he got after posting a pic of the buck he got.
endless pm's and posts wanting to know where he shot it.
so many just refuse to go out and learn areas for themselves.

Mikey Rafiki
10-30-2014, 10:29 AM
I live in Whitehorse now so I wont be hunting bc, I grew up on Vancouver Island and have never hunted region 3 I was just curious as to what the deer populations are like. I guess this forum isnt about sharing information or the passion of the outdoors.

There are plenty of people that will help you, I would say the silent majority on this site. I have helped get a few first timers into some great areas this year I'm happy to have helped in there success. Do I give them my first choice opening day bow season spot, heck no. Do I tell them about a couple major FSR's that may work for them, heck yes. Usually via PM, just so they don't get stampeded!

Either way, Whitehorse is great! I'm heading up there next year for a moose hunt with my brother in law, just send me coordinates of your honey hole :)

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 10:33 AM
^^how is your quote of smeegle different than what his post says?

mikeman20
10-30-2014, 10:39 AM
get real.
"selfishly sabatoging"??
by not willfully putting up all the gps coordinates to all my areas that I've spent over twenty years finding?
if you are such a saviour to hunting, I expect your next post to include all your coordinates and some detailed maps showing us where you've gotten all your animals.

GPS coordinates? He asked if the deer population was healthy in chase, I'm not even going to look at a map but I know that it will include several thousand square kilometers

I've been hunting for 6 years and I'm 23 years old, and during that time have helped as many people as possible. I'm responsible for three new hunters getting into the sport, and I HAVE given out general information about EVERYWHERE I painstakingly hunted, with or without success, because I know what it's like to be a new hunter with no information.

Looks like I'm the young one here, but you are the one who needs to grow up.

smeegle
10-30-2014, 10:40 AM
haha moose hunting up here is more about hanging out on a water way and calling. If you are targeting a specific area I may not be able to help but I can reccomend some great rivers to float down if you have access to a boat.

Jagermeister
10-30-2014, 10:44 AM
"And this is exactly why new hunters have such a hard time and often give up!

Thank you for helping to kill the sport"

whaaaa???
piss on that.
new hunters can get out there and put in some time and miles on their boots and wheels to learn the areas like I have over many, many years.
I didn't put in all that work and time to just freely give it up to every hunter who's just going out for their first season and are asking where they can drive to to kill a big deer.

"helping to kill the sport"??
well, for one, it's definitely NOT a sport.
but also, I'd rather see the future be filled with hunters who are willing to do some work for themselves, not just a bunch of city-slickers who want others to do the work.
if one is going to give up after one season of tag soup, then they picked the wrong past-time and good-riddance to the lazy farts.
I'm with So Faking on this one. Internet spoon-fed hunters, short changing themselves.
As for the Chase area, there are bucks around, whitetails and mule, but the competition is high among all users.
On Monday I passed a field that harbored a dozen whitetail does. A new Toyota pickup sporting "Adams Lake Indian Band" lettering on the door panels with a couple of individuals inside were scoping the deer out. The deer were getting pretty good scrutiny.
Can you envision a 10 million candlepower flashlight on a dark night? That's what crossed my mind.

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 11:36 AM
GPS coordinates? He asked if the deer population was healthy in chase, I'm not even going to look at a map but I know that it will include several thousand square kilometers

I've been hunting for 6 years and I'm 23 years old, and during that time have helped as many people as possible. I'm responsible for three new hunters getting into the sport, and I HAVE given out general information about EVERYWHERE I painstakingly hunted, with or without success, because I know what it's like to be a new hunter with no information.

Looks like I'm the young one here, but you are the one who needs to grow up.

there's no reason for a new hunter to have "no information".
shit, just flipping through this site will provide one with more than I ever had.
there's no need to then be asking for even more particulars from people.
that is what I am viewing as being lazy.
all the info is there, but some don't even want to spend any time reading, let alone just getting out there and finding one's own new area.
maybe that's part of the new generation though, they want everyone to help them.
I've always wanted to get it done myself.
to me it all adds to the fun, I enjoy going out and hiking around all throughout the year and learning all I can about areas.
I didn't even have the luxury of googlearth to see what the terrain looked like.
new hunters have such a wealth of information at their disposal, yet here they are wanting hand-outs.

and as someone also mentioned, there's lots of undesirables who are reading this also.
that could lead to poachers and many others in those areas now.

if you want to give away all your finds, go nuts.
but don't think that others are sabatoging hunting because they aren't.
and you just set it back even more by telling us that you give out info on EVERYWHERE you've hunted.
I sure won't be as forthcoming as I have been anymore, knowing that those I share with might then just blab it to the world.

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 11:39 AM
haha moose hunting up here is more about hanging out on a water way and calling. If you are targeting a specific area I may not be able to help but I can reccomend some great rivers to float down if you have access to a boat.

not all.
we got our first moose hunting in behind snafu.

Backwoodninjajunky
10-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Yep still waiting on the spots..... I have yet to go anywhere in region 3 or 2 and not seen sign..... They are or were around so more scouting will pay off.... And it ll pay even more when I drop something... Meat in the freezer and the work pays off, something to be proud of... Same as fishing give up areas not spots haha name of the game..

lovemywinchester
10-30-2014, 12:28 PM

Over 100, 000 licences sold this year. Hope I don't bring those sales to a stop with my reply.

Killing the sport my ass. It's called tough love. The guys Dad saw a monster buck. What you do is go to where Dad saw the buck and start hunting. He knows there is a "MAMMOTH" buck there, why go on the internet and ask if there are deer there when your Dad told you there is. Why tell everyone where the MAMMOTH buck lives. Why not go and kill the MAMMOTH buck. The OP is no rookie, he's been on here since 2006. Pretty sure he isn't giving up.

If there is one thing I know for a fact is that if you show someone a spot the very next time they are out they will go RIGHT to that spot. And they will bring their friends, and so on and so on. It will be their favorite spot until they kill a buck somewhere else. I was trying to explain that to the OP in not so many words.

I will explain it better for Mikeman. The first rule to killing a big buck is TO NOT TALK ABOUT THE MAMMOTH BUCK. Until it's dead of course. Then post a pic and story for us to oogle.

Cookie1965
10-30-2014, 08:58 PM
OMG! #chasemammothbuck is trending! hahahahaha

Liveforthehunt
10-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Mikeman20 sounds like you have had 6 frusterating years of hunting .... And expensive ? It is what you make of it ... You can get started for very little if you play your cards right don't have to buy the swaro bino's right off the get go .... There Is a difference between help and honey holes ... I'm not much older than you to be honest with you but I was thankful enough to be raised off the land. I can tell you one thing there are cranker bucks in almost every few kms of this beautiful province of ours you just have to do some research Aka go check it out yourself lots of deer around chase no different than the rest of the region smeegle your dads in the right spot and if I was him I'd hit the area hard I'm sure the "mammoth " will return . Cheers

mikeman20
10-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Mikeman20 sounds like you have had 6 frusterating years of hunting .... And expensive ? It is what you make of it ... You can get started for very little if you play your cards right don't have to buy the swaro bino's right off the get go .... There Is a difference between help and honey holes ... I'm not much older than you to be honest with you but I was thankful enough to be raised off the land. I can tell you one thing there are cranker bucks in almost every few kms of this beautiful province of ours you just have to do some research Aka go check it out yourself lots of deer around chase no different than the rest of the region smeegle your dads in the right spot and if I was him I'd hit the area hard I'm sure the "mammoth " will return . Cheers

I've had 6 very good years actually, a bull moose, a calf, two white tails and three mulies. So far this year I haven't been successful but the season isn't over for me yet. That was only possible for me because I had two fantastic mentors, my (ex) girlfriends dad and her uncle. Many people have no one to turn to like I did.

No one has said share your honey holes, but nearly every thread where someone asks for some general information (like is there a decent deer population around chase) no one will respond, and often the ones that do are intentionally misleading or snarky. The thread yesterday about the kettle valley was a huge exception though, and I was pleased to see it happen.
Unfortunetly alot of the negative stereotypes of hunters are true and you get morons like in this thread thinking that it's them vs all other hunters, but its really all us hunters vs the antis.

caddisguy
10-31-2014, 08:00 AM
There are no deer around Chase, Falkland, Salmon Arm, Vernon, the Monte Hills, Pinaus, Pratt etc... especially in October!

Seriously though, there's plenty of deer all over the province and most areas hold a mammoth of two.

And that bit about if you show a hunter a spot, he'll go to that spot etc is BS. Last year I had an experienced hunter show me a spot. His regular hunting buddies blew a gasket over it. It was a decent spot, but I never went back. I found a way better spot on my own. I saw 4 nice bucks and a jungle headed mammoth, bunch of moose, a couple of bears. All it took? A quick look at google earth for a remote area, a bit further out from the Coq.

Spots are not hard to find. It's a huge province. I wouldn't give the GPS coordinates to a honey hole, but nothing wrong with confirming there's deer around Chase. Common sense will tell a person that. Hey there's deer around Cache Creek, Clinton, 100 Mile House, Lac la Hache too. Omg, I just ruined hunting by naming cities surrounded by vast wilderness. Sorry guys!

Wait I forgot to mess up Region 2... Mission, Harrison, Chilliwack, Hope, Squamish, Pemberton ;-P

smeegle
10-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Yea my dad was carrying his bow at the time when he saw the buck as he much prefers the challenge and rewarding feeling when successful with a bow but I believe he is trading it in for the rifle now that the area is 4 point or better for muley (I dont know the regs for whiteys there).

islander7mm
10-31-2014, 08:40 AM
There are no deer around Chase, Falkland, Salmon Arm, Vernon, the Monte Hills, Pinaus, Pratt etc... especially in October!

Seriously though, there's plenty of deer all over the province and most areas hold a mammoth of two.

And that bit about if you show a hunter a spot, he'll go to that spot etc is BS. Last year I had an experienced hunter show me a spot. His regular hunting buddies blew a gasket over it. It was a decent spot, but I never went back. I found a way better spot on my own. I saw 4 nice bucks and a jungle headed mammoth, bunch of moose, a couple of bears. All it took? A quick look at google earth for a remote area, a bit further out from the Coq.

Spots are not hard to find. It's a huge province. I wouldn't give the GPS coordinates to a honey hole, but nothing wrong with confirming there's deer around Chase. Common sense will tell a person that. Hey there's deer around Cache Creek, Clinton, 100 Mile House, Lac la Hache too. Omg, I just ruined hunting by naming cities surrounded by vast wilderness. Sorry guys!

Wait I forgot to mess up Region 2... Mission, Harrison, Chilliwack, Hope, Squamish, Pemberton ;-P

Jelvis??
:):)

caddisguy
10-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Jelvis??
:):)

It would just need a re-write to list highway exits and rhyme.

bearhunter338-06
10-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Yet just another friendly Huntingbc thread

smeegle
10-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Also snafu is a great area had a friend get a nice one out of there this year mid september I heard it was busy this year but I was out on a river paddle trip up on the stewart.

Mikey Rafiki
10-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Also snafu is a great area had a friend get a nice one out of there this year mid september I heard it was busy this year but I was out on a river paddle trip up on the stewart.

Can you get a pickup into Snafu lake area? Just curious as there doesn't seem to be any maintained backroads compared to BC. I can bring a quad with me, unless we do a float trip, then I imagine we will drop in from a decent road.

Jagermeister
10-31-2014, 10:26 AM
I know where there is a very large buck in Dana's neck of the woods. And he be ruttin'.
All you have to do to get the UTM coordinates is EMT me $20.
After that it is "Good Luck"

Stone C. Killer
10-31-2014, 07:39 PM
Give a new hunter the best spot in BC. Probably still won't kill anything....good luck to all new hunters ;)