PDA

View Full Version : New gun break in info please

wayneec
10-29-2014, 11:50 AM
After my dad past away my mother gave me his gun it's a older 270 ruger last year I went for a hunt and when I was unloading it it went off by itself so this year I though it's time to get a new gun and turn my dads into a wall hanger I am up working in a camp right now and can't wait to get home next week I got my wife to buy me a weatherby 270 vangaurd 2 I was looking up on there website and it says for breaking in the barrel that I take ten shots cleaning between each shot the 10 3 shot groups and cleaning between then I can line it up just wondering if this is true or anyone have any other suggestions or Info they would like to share on there experiences thanks a lot

gwes2003
10-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Sounds about right. Run a patch thur the barrel after each shot for the first ten shots. Then do a three shot group and adjust the scope. Take another three shot group and keep adjusting till your hitting where you want. Keep doing this till you've fired at least 5 groups. Remember to let the barrel cool after each shot. It'll take time but its worth it. I've seen this method in numerous youtube videos and did it myself. No problems with accuracy.

Singleshotneeded
10-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Really, most people I know that are excellent marksmen, and yours truly, just run a solvent patch through the barrel,(after each shot), for the first nine shots (3 three-shot groups), while sighting in the scope- then treat it normally. A few only clean it after each shot for the first 3 shots, but I'd rather be a bit more cautious. One trick I learned, when sighting in new rifles with standard contour hunting barrels, is to bring a bore snake very lightly lubed with a bit of G96...in a Ziploc bag in a cooler with ice. After each group of 3 shots, after you run a solvent patch through the barrel, you take the cold bore snake out of the Ziploc bag in the ice, and pull it into the barrel-leaving it there for several minutes. This cools your hot barrel a lot faster and lets you get started on your next group sooner. If you don't cool your barrel between groups, your rifle's point of impact will probably shift and you won't sight your gun in properly. That's why a lot of guys bring rimfires to shoot while their barrels are cooling...but this iced bore snake trick cuts down the wait. DON'T use the bore snake to clean the bore, after the first pass or two you're running dirt through your barrel...use a rod and solvent patches. Hope this helps! :-)

Mikey Rafiki
10-29-2014, 01:10 PM
If you search the forum for "break in procedure" you will find a few recent threads with more information than you can handle.