PDA

View Full Version : Last deer of the season

sawmill
10-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Whipped out for a quick hunt this morn and had a real big body 2 point whitie standing 100 yards out.So now I`m done.A nice dry doe and him.I was going to hold out for late Nov. and try for a big buck but...the 5 point I got last fall was like eating a rubber ball.
Man,the deer are sure fat this year,fattest I`v ever seen in 15 years.The leaf fat inside makes it hard to gut them,can`t tell what`s what.But the meat is incredibley tender and flavourfull.That`s why I decided to punch todays deer.He was basically a gift.Got him on the hillside I scattered my Dads and 2 Brothers ashes.I think I got the inside track there.

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Good job Joe! Makes it a special deer, for sure!

Wentrot
10-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Awesome place to have got him. Congrats. Any pics?

adriaticum
10-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Good stuff. Maybe they are extra big this year because of the long stretch of good weather, i wonder.

finngun
10-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Next time try gutless method,,, never go back..wayy less mess:wink:

sawmill
10-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Awesome place to have got him. Congrats. Any pics?
Nah,just a buck.But like a gift though,just stood broadside at 80- 100 yards.Never took a step after the shot.I got the heart,liver and tenderloins in ice water right now,Joey eats well tonight.Good luck to all my fellow hunters!May you be as blessed as I have been this year.

Liveforthehunt
10-29-2014, 09:37 AM

I disagree gutless method can be bad if your not super careful with the meat on the dirt and u have to deal with more hair in your meat cutting the quarters out 10 minutes gutted in the truck at the most drive home knuckle legs out skin quick and you have the option of taking all the meat with no waste I know lucky to get an extra couple pounds off the ribs but this way more off the neck can be more picky with backstraps

sawmill
10-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I disagree gutless method can be bad if your not super careful with the meat on the dirt and u have to deal with more hair in your meat cutting the quarters out 10 minutes gutted in the truck at the most drive home knuckle legs out skin quick and you have the option of taking all the meat with no waste I know lucky to get an extra couple pounds off the ribs but this way more off the neck can be more picky with backstraps

Yeah true,I would rather spend 3-4 minutes gutting and then dragging the whole critter down to the truck.Besides ,warms up the old hands.I have a 1500 lbs. winch bolted to the bench in my garage,a gambrel and pully to hoist with.Push a button and up they go.Makes for a real clean job.

sawmill
10-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Day just got better,while I was trying to fix the set of deer horns on a pumpkin I got a call from an outfit to go run log loader.Long term work,excellent money,doing something I like and am good at.
The pumpkin looks pretty sharp too.

M.Dean
10-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Sounds like the perfect end to a great hunting season! I helped cut up a buddys Mulie Buck last weekend, it too had about a good inch and a half of fat on it's rump, and the fat inside was unbelievable also! Now, what are the chances of seeing your pumpkin with horns?

hare_assassin
10-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Me and a buddy did gutless on his buck a few weeks ago. Neither of us will do it again unless there is no other option. Last Friday I was alone and had to cut my buck in half and make 2 trips about 1k each way, plus a final trip for the rest of my gear. Didn't even consider gutless.

Rhyno
10-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Congrats Joe. Have a friend flying in tomorrow to go on her first deer hunt, hope to have similar success!

Good new about the job to!

Liveforthehunt
10-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Congrats about the job news .... And yes 4 minutes sounds about right but I didnt want to brag :p now how about that pumpkin lol