PDA

View Full Version : Little Fort West {Bitchy, Buck, and Moose lakes area}???

Sleep Robber
10-28-2014, 09:35 PM
I understand that the Thuya lake Lodge is well known for it's trout fishing but I'm ignorant as to what the terrain is like in regards to hunting around the Moose, Buck and Bitchy lakes area. Is there lots of hunting pressure around this area ?? Decent place to set up the wall tent for a couple weeks of hunting ?? Wolf/Cat problems ?? Snow fall {driving}??

I've got a two week solo trip coming up but still not decided as to where I want to base camp out of. Main objective is immy moose and mule deer but any whitey I see is obvious fair game as well. I was thinking of bordering myself between region 3 and 8 like I have in the past but wouldn't mind seeing some different area this year.

I don't really like asking for info on hunting areas but what the hell, never asked before, never been there before and honestly I don't really feel like hauling the whole shitteroo up there for nothing.

Any info {good or bad} is much appreciated

thanks,

SR

russm86
10-29-2014, 08:19 AM
My family basically grew up at Thuya Lakes Lodge when I was younger, we are close friends with the old owners. We spent most summers there and a lot of time in hunting season. Landscape has changed a fair bit with a lot of logging recently but animals habits still seem to be pretty much the same. My uncle had an LEH any bull draw there 2 yrs ago and I helped him get a nice 49" bull out of there. Actually out of the exact same area my family had taken several bulls out of back when they had open seasons, the one year a long time ago my dad and his buddies actually got 3 bulls in the same slash at the same time. Moose seem to stay up on the very top even through middle of winter. Deer, other than a few real large bucks, will be coming down to the lower elevations this time of year. If you hunt up higher be sure to have a good 4x4 and heavy duty v-bar chains and/or winch as the area gets a good amount of snow. During the one weekend in November 2 years ago when we were after my uncles LEH, it dumped almost 2' of snow up on top. Later in the year it becomes more less snow mobile access only, we used to go up to the lodge in January by snow mobile and play around in the back country, the number of moose you would see by snow mobile back then was incredible. We saw many many wolf tracks and were constantly hearing them up there 2 years ago, I imagine that hasn't changed. If you PM me I can try to give you some more precise locations to try.

Sleep Robber
10-29-2014, 04:19 PM
My family basically grew up at Thuya Lakes Lodge when I was younger, we are close friends with the old owners. We spent most summers there and a lot of time in hunting season. Landscape has changed a fair bit with a lot of logging recently but animals habits still seem to be pretty much the same. My uncle had an LEH any bull draw there 2 yrs ago and I helped him get a nice 49" bull out of there. Actually out of the exact same area my family had taken several bulls out of back when they had open seasons, the one year a long time ago my dad and his buddies actually got 3 bulls in the same slash at the same time. Moose seem to stay up on the very top even through middle of winter. Deer, other than a few real large bucks, will be coming down to the lower elevations this time of year. If you hunt up higher be sure to have a good 4x4 and heavy duty v-bar chains and/or winch as the area gets a good amount of snow. During the one weekend in November 2 years ago when we were after my uncles LEH, it dumped almost 2' of snow up on top. Later in the year it becomes more less snow mobile access only, we used to go up to the lodge in January by snow mobile and play around in the back country, the number of moose you would see by snow mobile back then was incredible. We saw many many wolf tracks and were constantly hearing them up there 2 years ago, I imagine that hasn't changed. If you PM me I can try to give you some more precise locations to try.

Well.... after 215 views and the lack of replies {except yours} I'm thinking it might be pretty good up there. :wink:

Anyways, I appreciate your reply and sent you a PM.

thanks a lot Russ.

SR