PDA

View Full Version : Desperation is sinking in...

drbb
10-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Hello folks,

I just came back from my 5th hunting trip this year, empty handed. I started hunting 3 years ago, but could not find an experienced hunting partner. I started educating myself on what to do (this site has been a great help).

In the first year, I mostly drove around and tried to figure how different areas looked (mainly near Princeton). I managed to get a spike deer on one trip, feeling quite happy. Last year I mixed my driving with hiking and tried to explore areas a bit more closely and managed to get my second deer on one of those trips near Merritt.

This year I decided to hike more and focus on an area I have known a bit better (between Merritt and Logan Lake). I have a pretty tight work schedule, but nonetheless tried to plan for my trips during the week to avoid rush weekends. My first trip of the year was to Ossoyoos where I had a whitetailed doe in my sight, but could not bring myself to pull the trigger after seeing its two fawns. Nonetheless, Ossoyoos is too far for a day trip and I decided to focus back on areas closer to LML. I leave LML around 2-3am to be in my spot by around 6am and settle in. I sit for 2-3 hours, then go for a walk around the woods and along the trails for another 2 hours. I go back to a spot I deem good for the last light. Over the past five trips, I managed to see plenty of sign (i.e., droppings), many does and fawns, and a three point buck that I missed (it out-smarted me by sending a doe to spot me).

I know it is "hunting" and there is an element of luck, but I really hoped that things would work out after the time I put in. Each time I go out, I need to rent an SUV which, with the gas, costs me about $200-$250/day. Therefore, my pre-season scouting is limited to anything I can do on family trips/camping in a sedan. My wife has been supportive and my redemption over the past two seasons was that I could bring home some quality meat (I am not after a trophy yet). This year has been very frustrating/disappointing.

Anyway, with only a couple of days left in "any buck" season, I am hoping to get some advice on how to cut one deer tag. My only chance for this year is Thursday...

Gateholio
10-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Stop renting SUV's and find a place that you can use your car to access your area.

ducktoller
10-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Lots of sea to sky area and even coquihalla area is car accessible.

Rob
10-28-2014, 08:34 PM
the money you spend on renting(?) vehicles to hunt you could spend on a side of beef.. like GH said use a car, grab a tarp or tie it to the roof. Be creative dude. My buddy works as a forest eng and is in the woods all week long scoping timber, and he's lucky to come across bucks. People go years without getting a deer... Where is tri city anyways?

two-feet
10-28-2014, 08:37 PM
I have been hunting my whole life and I have got nothing to show for it this season either. Tough titty said the kitty but the milk is still good!

Good luck out there, I think I will try one more outing as well if I can convince my wife that hunting totally pays for its self ( ha ha ha) I think she is on to me after seeing how much beer was in my truck before I went out for a week of moose hunting.

coach
10-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Whitetails are "any buck" all season long.

Kami
10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Sorry to say, but to me your description defines unsustainable hunting. Fortunately you can change some things to make it better. Renting an SUV to hunt, and day trips from the LML is a huge commitment. Congrats on your determination. Sadly, there is nothing I can say to guarantee you a buck on Thursday. The same old advice comes and goes. More time in the bush yields more chances. Unfortunately you are out of time. Dems the brakes. I had 3 years with no deer. Nothing. This year I got mine, so I know how you feel.

skuntor
10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Lots for people I know coming back with nada. Some guys I know coming back with lots. The more I learn the more I realize that, while there is lots of skill involved, there is a lot of luck. This really shows when you only have a short time to hunt.

HarryToolips
10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
I had great luck harvesting 5 bucks my first 3 years, same boat as you, all self taught, learned lots by being out lots...now due to my little boy, I get out MAYBE one-third of the time..haven't shot nutin in 2 seasons, but hey, so what I'm learning and enjoyin being out there..I suggest the same priorities and approach..

adriaticum
10-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I see no reason you need to rent an suv.
I spent the whole last season in a matrix and it took me everywhere i wanted to go.
Region 2 is any buck and season is only half way done.
No need for desperation.

Liveforthehunt
10-28-2014, 08:55 PM
On the bright side if your after a Muley the should be going pretty good by then my friend shot a 4x4 on Saturday and his glands were open neck swollen starting to stink good luck :)

Wentrot
10-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Hunt closer to home with the vehicle you have. Renting an SUV is a bit much don't ya think? There are plenty of FSR's you can run a car on as well, just take er easy-Pull over and start hiking.

And remember, the fun is all in the hunt itself-bringing an animal home is just the icing on the cake. The meat will eventually be gone, the memories last a lifetime.

good luck

russm
10-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Get where you can with what you have and put the money saved by not renting a vehicle aside to by a truck or SUV.

Spirit's Master
10-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Though I don't have any local knowledge of your area, I went through a similar process. Took 5 years to get my first deer. And this year I have two already. I enjoy being self taught, it has been much more rewarding than having someone hold my hand and teach me everything they know. I too have learned a lot from this forum and would probably still be without if I hadn't done a lot of reading and watching.

Lucky enough, both of my deer have come from within 15k of my front door. As others have said I would focus on an area close to home that you can access with what you have. It may limit your huntable area and may receive more pressure than you are accustomed too, but it may be untouched this year because everyone thinks the same thing and have gone elsewhere.

Spend your last day enjoying just being 'out there', start thinking about good ground for next year and you'll probably connect.

cwf

ducktoller
10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
You'd be amazed what lies just out of road reach. Cross the peak and things may change a bit.
Of course all the deer id see before hunting dissapeared the day I got my PAL and CORE :(

ducktoller
10-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Coldwater rd, elaho/squamish/brohm(hiking), lots of hikeable places up sea to sky, tulameen, princeton area, chilliwack lake areas (ive seen tercels up there, watch the potholes!!!), Soo river, In'Shuck'Ch(Lilloet East) FSR, all areas ive seen cars driving you just need to hike a little more. YOu could also start looking for farmland permission in rural areas too

With driving skills some brands like subaru and volkswagen go farther than you'd think. Obvously though if it's your family car you need to take care of it

MichelD
10-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Jeez. I shot my first buck in 1970. I have hunted every year since then except when abroad.

I have hunted seriously and hard , camping out in the back of my truck, in a tent, walked, hiked, cycled, sat, tracked and waited on trails in regions 1,2,3,5 and 8 for the past 8 years and haven't shot a deer. I've even had two mulie doe LEH permits in that time and never filled them, despite many days hunting in good areas.

It's hunting , not shopping.

I'm going out again tomorrow.

boxhitch
10-29-2014, 12:02 AM
Maybe quit moving around so much mid day. If you are where the deer are , especially at this time of season when they are moving lots themselves , movement just gives away your presence no matter how ninja-like you think you are.
Look for spots with a view , and park it . When it gets boring , find another parking spot. If you are into deer sign , they can appear at anytime , but not so easy when you are focused on your feet.

markomoose
10-29-2014, 02:07 AM
I used to hunt Sea to Sky and Pemberton in a Volkswagon Rabbit diesel.I loved cruising through Whistler with all the yuppies staring into my hatchback with a buck in the back.

Bugle M In
10-29-2014, 02:41 AM
as others said, stop renting SUV's etc....get some chains for your vehicle instead, and probably a tarp, for when you do get lucky.
Many areas to hunt where no 4x4 or off road vehicle needed.
I hunt on a n area where regular cars go by on a consistent basis.
I walk from there.
Sometimes deer don't move til mid morning, or more possibly, don't move into where you a seated at first light.
So, don't walk away if you think you are in an area of high activity.
Even with some snow, a car will get you in, and with snow, you might see where deer traffic is high in certain areas...
that's where you step out, and start to learn the lay of the land.
I have hunted one area for 20 years...and I am still finding new spots all the time.
But hunting is also based on luck...deer can be 1 km from where you are or just a mere 30 yards, and even at 30 yrds, you don't always see them!
It's not about the meat!, if it is...go to the store, or move upcountry where you won't need to travel more than 15 minutes etc.
Otherwise, tell the wife its for the experience, the pursuit, the fresh air or to just get out and watch what nature has in store that day!
keep trying, observe, scout and perseverance eventually pays off into some good luck....usually???
Season ain't over, enjoy the fact you have 2 good legs and the ability to be out there, some of us are not that fortunate.
Deer should be headed to lower elevations now, atleast some, so getting to a spot isn't that hard, just make sure the Coq is okay to travel,
otherwise hwy 1 is a better route at times....but chains just in case!

LupieHunter
10-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Lots of places to hunt deer here near lower mainland and the rest of region 2. Yes they are only blacktails and don't get all that big but who cares. You can't eat the antlers. Also as someone else said I believe the whole season is any buck with the exception of one area.

Wentrot
10-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Lots of places to hunt deer here near lower mainland and the rest of region 2. Yes they are only blacktails and don't get all that big but who cares. You can't eat the antlers. Also as someone else said I believe the whole season is any buck with the exception of one area.

Wanna bet?.....Proguide????

caddisguy
10-29-2014, 08:11 AM
You have been quite successful on your first two years. I'm on my second year and have been fortunate enough to see a lot of game, find some great spots and have some decent chances. If it makes you feel better here's my record.

Fall 2013

- Region 3 - Saw whitetail doe at 20 yards. Was not quick enough to identify that it was a whitetail despite lots of time.
- Region 2 - Saw what I thought was a doe. Turned out to be a spike. Someone else shot it

Sping 2014

Region 2 - Had black bear lined for a double lung shot at 7 yards. The factory Winchester 30-06 Power Point misfired and the bear bolted after hearing the click.

Fall 2014

Region 3 - Shot at a spike. Gun slid a bit on the stump I was using as a rest. Still figured it was a decent hit. Waited close to an hour and went to check. No blood, no fur... nothing from where he was when I shot to the treeline he walked into. Spent 3-4 hours looking in the bush. Next week I decided to hike through from the other side of the treeline. Found him burried up and half eaten. I'll never know whether or not I shot him and I have to live with that.

Countless other things like nice bucks bolting, not having a shot, scope failing and fogging up.

Yes, the end of Any Buck in Region 3/8 spells doom for most LML hunters. Region 2 is thick, steep and tough hunting with lower deer numbers. Couple that with most of the LML hunters staying local, in November/December it's a gong show with about 5x the pressure of Sept/Oct. If you don't get a Region 3/8 Any Buck, odds are you won't get one this year. You should still have fun trying though. That's what it's all about.

Definitely try to avoid renting vehicles. Hunting is awesome, but if it's putting you deeper in debt it's time to scale things back. Local trips, use your car and take er easy. Hike around and make it your goal to not see another hunter rather than getting a buck.

caddisguy
10-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Wanna bet?.....Proguide????

Where the heck is proguide? That guy inspires me like nothing else.

caves16
10-29-2014, 08:29 AM
In my novice opinion the hunting is hard this year. i think it is becuase its so warm. We are heading up to Princeton area this weekend, and checking the weather reports for snow - says highs of 13 and lows of 9..! that is like September weather! I think its so warm the deer are not moving much.
As others said: dont rent SUV. I hunted for several years in my Mazda Minivan. I got used to the strange looks from guys in pickups 30kms from the main road. My van was great. Also a good family vehicle and Mazda made a 4x4 in the late 90s that are really economical. Nice family/hunting vehicle.
You could also do what my clever husband did: get his wife out hunting. Now the season is a 'family priority' and when needed I go on my own if the kids' sports mess with the schedule.
I cant decide which is more agonizing: hunting all season and not seeing/getting anything OR having the buck of a lifetime blinking at you from 40 yds and choking.
Last year i messed up a shot on a mule buck so big I thought he was a red stag (;-) that haunts me far more than the season before when i got nothing.
You could try up the Coq to Coldwater and cruise it to 5A. that can be done in a car, especially in this weather. i heard there are some nice deer in there. Good luck and get your wife out there!

Andrewh
10-29-2014, 08:32 AM
PM sent...

Wentrot
10-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Posts on Facebook a lot more than here lately.

Brez
10-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Stop renting SUV's and find a place that you can use your car to access your area.

X2, X2.......there are LOTS of places that only requite a short (1/2 hour) walk to get away from most people and are off of good roads. Either that or buy an affordable 2nd vehicle and insure it during hunting season.

lip_ripper00
10-29-2014, 12:43 PM
PM a phone number lets talk, I might have something for you.....

Singleshotneeded
10-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Google Earth to find openings in the mountains that are not too far from roads but not on them...once you get past the road hunters you'll see more bucks. My dad made a roof rack for his '65 Valiant 4 door car and put all four quarters of a moose up there, tied down, from '65 to '74. Or, put a trailer hitch on your car and get one of those landscaping trailers from Depot or Cdn. Tire for about a grand and throw your gear and deer into it...think of it as a truck box behind your car for hunting season. :-D Most FSR's can be driven with a car if you take it easy, and when you're hunting you're generally driving slowly and quietly. Drop the trailer off at the beginning of the area you know has deer(they rattle), road hunt quietly until you get to the clearing you saw on Google Earth, and walk in from downwind. Get one of those powder dispensers for checking the wind direction if you need to. If there's lots of sign, or if you get a buck, mark the spot on your gps and put a few orange tape strips along the trail into your "honey hole"... Good luck!

sawmill
10-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Get in your car and drive like hell,I`ll take you out.

squamishhunter
10-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I ride my dirtbike from home into piss-**** nowhere (doesnt take long on the island) and go from their. I used to car hunt as well, its easy, and no one thinks a corolla/matrix or WHY is a hunters vehicle (more likely to be left alone)

I honestly can't believe you spent that much on rentals.

if you wanna come to the island and hunt let me know. Although I could be going into camp at any time.

300win
10-29-2014, 02:41 PM
X3 hunters are creative beings, you don't have to spend a lot to experience the thrill of the hunt. The game will come.Enjoy 300
the money you spend on renting(?) vehicles to hunt you could spend on a side of beef.. like GH said use a car, grab a tarp or tie it to the roof. Be creative dude. My buddy works as a forest eng and is in the woods all week long scoping timber, and he's lucky to come across bucks. People go years without getting a deer... Where is tri city anyways?

sdurango41
10-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Before the snow flies head up to Tulamene. You access it just past the top of the Coqiuhala. You can drive into lots of areas and then get out and put some miles on your boots.

Fella
10-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Learn how to quarter an animal in the field. Quartered deer=smaller than a whole deer which means you can easily throw the meat into a cooler or into your trunk on a tarp.

Gateholio
10-29-2014, 03:41 PM

He's been busy filming and working on his How2Hunt website. it's a big project and is taking lots of his time. Should be launched early 2015 he's been speculating.

Gateholio
10-29-2014, 03:48 PM
FYI I hunted a little on my own when I was a teen, got a small buck with a longbow when I was 14. Didn't know anything. My family was avid in the outdoors but Dad moved around when I was born, lost his hunting buddies and never hunted again. I had caught lots of fish so gutted it the same way and muddled through it. Stopped hunting for next decade as I discovered beer and girls.

FInally at 25 I built my own house in a rural area and figured I should try hunting again. Went 2 years only shooting grouse, on the 3rd year I lucked into a buck. It was one of the defining moments of my life. Self taught is a hard go but it's possible.

sawmill
10-29-2014, 03:57 PM
FYI I hunted a little on my own when I was a teen, got a small buck with a longbow when I was 14. Didn't know anything. My family was avid in the outdoors but Dad moved around when I was born, lost his hunting buddies and never hunted again. I had caught lots of fish so gutted it the same way and muddled through it. Stopped hunting for next decade as I discovered beer and girls.

FInally at 25 I built my own house in a rural area and figured I should try hunting again. Went 2 years only shooting grouse, on the 3rd year I lucked into a buck. It was one of the defining moments of my life. Self taught is a hard go but it's possible.

Self taught here,it seems scary but once you get one done it`s just a bit of work.Walked up to my first dead moose when I was 14,could not believe the size.Today,40 years later ,dropped a nice fat Whitie buck,had it gutted in about 4 minutes.Dragged it out and now it`s skinned hanging in the shop.
Razor sharp knife
Well tuned rifle/scope
Calmness.
Band aids.
That`s all you really need.

sawmill
10-29-2014, 04:03 PM
It`s nice and cold here,I`ll probably butcher tomorrow.
Razor sharp knife
Saran Wrap and butcher paper and tape and a felt pen
Band Aids.

adriaticum
10-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Self taught here,it seems scary but once you get one done it`s just a bit of work.Walked up to my first dead moose when I was 14,could not believe the size.Today,40 years later ,dropped a nice fat Whitie buck,had it gutted in about 4 minutes.Dragged it out and now it`s skinned hanging in the shop.
Razor sharp knife
Well tuned rifle/scope
Calmness.
Band aids.

Band aids?

drbb
10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Maybe quit moving around so much mid day. If you are where the deer are , especially at this time of season when they are moving lots themselves , movement just gives away your presence no matter how ninja-like you think you are.
Look for spots with a view , and park it . When it gets boring , find another parking spot. If you are into deer sign , they can appear at anytime , but not so easy when you are focused on your feet.

Thanks. Sometimes the moving around in mid-day is a trip from Merritt to Princeton, but I get your point...

drbb
10-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Razor sharp knife
Well tuned rifle/scope
Calmness.
Band aids.

Totally agree with band aid.

Calmness is the tricky one few seconds before and after the shot...

drbb
10-29-2014, 06:44 PM
The responses have been awesome. Thank you all for putting in the time to offer your experience and insight. I am going to reply to the comments in groups and hopefully this will benefit others as well.

Renting for day trips:
This might seem like a silly thing to do, but in fact if you do a bit of shopping and book in advance (I book mine in June for trips in October), the cost of rental can be about $50 to $70 per day. The bigger expense is actually gas ($100-$150 for a day trip of 600km to 800km), which could be reduced significantly if a car is used or the trip distance is shortened. The benefit of renting is that you get a new car which hopefully will not get into a mechanical issue as long as you treat it well. Moreover, if you do not need an SUV or truck for work, it is cheaper to rent one a few days a year than own one the whole year. I guess my main issue was the distance, that I will explain below.
I know my car can get on some of the better maintained FSRs, but I am almost sure the game has figured it, too. This could be addressed by more scouting near those places, but finding the time is an issue for me.

Travel distance:
Well, as I mentioned, I used this forum among some other online resources to determine where to look for game. If you search, there is very little information on places close to LML. The reason is the urban settings and people around you. I tried a few FSRs around hope, but some were very rough (probably deactivated) and I did not go deep even with the SUV and some were simply blocked, even though I think people still used quads to go up them. There is also plenty of private property. Nonetheless, I am going to take the advice and explore closer areas more for future seasons.

Game transport:
I am actually quite good at this. Once I leave the field (the two times :) ), there is no wasted meat. I quarter the animal (and more) and fit it in a cooler (mostly). The need for SUV was mostly for its ground clearance...

Having fun with the hunt:
Believe me I do. I like to share the fun with the family though. Bringing home some meat is part of it.

Thanks again folks, especially to those who extended a helping hand.

drbb
10-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Where is tri city anyways?

Coquitlam + Port Coquitlam + Port Moody

Gateholio
10-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Band aid, electrical tape....same same...

finngun
10-29-2014, 07:03 PM
drbb---///This year, I have just added to household debt, which is very frustrating/disappointing.///
don't do that....your family well-being is more important than you hobby..i had to put away hunting for 15 long years when my kids[4] were growing ,,and i don't regret that at all..family first ..now i have time for hunting,and shooting..with my kids too..:-D

Aaron600
10-29-2014, 07:59 PM
This is my first year hunting and I've been out 6 times so far. I have been parking the truck which I purchased for camping/hunting this year and slogging up mountains and hills trying to spot sighns etc.. Texada Island, Sunshine Coast, off the coquihala, crowsnest hwy etc... Ive only seen 1 small spike on sunshine coast in a no hunting area this year so far. Ive recently read a book I ordered called hunting mule deer strategies. I was on Texada Island for 4 days and all those deer were nocturnal in the area we went (Bobs Lake). My gun and scope cost me $2500 and the gear you can add another $1000 (Binos, spotting scope, camo...) I'm still not discouraged. Sure it would be nice to have a deer in the freezer but most of my time has been scouting locations and learning my mistakes as I go. I'm already starting to save for an ATV for next season to get me up into the bush faster to start my hikes. If I had your luck I would be ecstatic considering your new to the hobby as well.

GrizGuy92
10-29-2014, 08:04 PM
I'll PM you

huntinnut
10-29-2014, 08:45 PM
I would really work at finding a hunting partner for next year, experienced or not to help share costs and make the long drives home easier!

Looking_4_Jerky
10-29-2014, 10:28 PM
I would really work at finding a hunting partner for next year, experienced or not to help share costs and make the long drives home easier!

This is the best advice. Half the expense! Share stories, past experiences, etc. Build a good partnership. Create new stories/experiences together! Have a cold one together on the way home (just 1 though :) ) and a few laughs. Ideally, they'll have some experience and a spot or two to share, but if not, you guys learn together.

As for a vehicle, look into a 99-05 Tracker, Vitara or Grand Vitara. Great on fuel, very bush capable, fairly inexpensive (less than a quad!), can haul the family around too (unless there's more than 4 of you). I have one and its been a great option for me. I can't explain how much I've saved in fuel over driving my 01 Tundra. I should have done it years ago! The rental program may seem like a good option, but you don't want your hunting time to be viewed as a cost to the family. The lady-friend will start having something to say, and she'll have a point. If you can keep it clearly beneficial to the family it will go a lot further!

I live about 3 hrs away from the nearest elk country. Regardless of how much I want to, sometimes I have to accept that I just can't afford to rip 3hrs + away to try talking to a bull only to come crack kīl, despite wanting to desperately! I pick and choose my days, trying to make them count. It certainly sounds like you are trying as well. I know this is going to go against what a lot of dudes on this site are going to tell you, but don't be afraid to road hunt for mule deer. In the right spots at the right time, you'll see more than double what you would walking.

Singleshotneeded
10-30-2014, 12:23 AM
Looking_4_Jerky definitely has a point, if you drive slowly and quietly up to clear cuts that were logged a year or two ago, and glass them, you will spot spike and fork bucks, often with does. You're not very likely to see a four or five point trophy buck, but you will see some young'uns in early morning or in the evening...in good areas.

panhead
10-30-2014, 09:36 AM
I got desperate when I didn't get the moose draw. Still eating though ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Classic capitalism has morphed into current Creditism ….

Gateholio
10-30-2014, 12:01 PM
It's your money but I'd take a car and drive to where you can get, park and set up a tent. Day tripping 600 km is nuts.

cmarrie
10-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Desperation is a word starving people use. I don't think you're desperate, just need to focus you efforts on hunting more than 1 day in a row when it takes so long to get there. Also, hunt dawn to dusk, or at least be out at those times. I've loaded a couple of region 3 and 8 mule deer bucks into the back of my old tercel, back seats down wrapped in a tarp. Use a CRV now. Logging roads in southern B.C. are tame for the most part to get to the jumping off points for a good walk. Or road hunt, both work. I found with my first few years of hunting success began when I stopped trying to force a buck to show itself and stopped trying to force in a few hours or a half day here or there to hunt. Hunting sucks when it's set up to be rushed. That's what grocery shopping feels like.

Take a breath and set aside some real time in good area and you'll get one.

dogboy
10-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Well it's Thursday eve now... Did you get one ? The suspense is killing me

caddisguy
10-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Most I can do for a day trip is 2.5 hours each way... five hour total for driving in one day. I can't imagine doing more than that. For out of town trips, I do 5 hours each way, but two night minimum. Even that seems rushed.Lol I don't think I could even enjoy hunting after driving for 5 hours and knowing I had to drive another 5 at the end of the day. Anyone who can swing that without feeling tortured has coconuts of steel.

Bugle M In
10-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Most I can do for a day trip is 2.5 hours each way... five hour total for driving in one day. I can't imagine doing more than that. For out of town trips, I do 5 hours each way, but two night minimum. Even that seems rushed.Lol I don't think I could even enjoy hunting after driving for 5 hours and knowing I had to drive another 5 at the end of the day. Anyone who can swing that without feeling tortured has coconuts of steel.

X2 on all that last stuff.....do that when your young!....trying that now, and have done a few times the last couple of years, there is no amount of time to recover completely after a certain age!

Cookie1965
10-30-2014, 07:46 PM
So you tagged bucks your first two seasons? Huh, I should be so desperate lol. I have a truck and missed out on a 4 point and a spike this season I should go hunt with you, maybe you could supply the luck.

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 08:10 PM
hunt chase, that's the new monster buck land.
taking over from tunkwa, Clearwater, and Princeton.

Avalanche123
10-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Hunting shouldn't be about desperation.....bummer. IMHO it's meant to be fun. As others have said, change your tactics.

swampthing
10-30-2014, 08:48 PM
You have to focus on the adventure and not the meat! I tell myself that if I shoot something that will ruin my hunt. I rarely ruin my hunts!! Use that car of yours. Continue to enjoy the adventure . Once in awhile you will "ruin" your hunt.

Elkchaser
10-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Gotta say, folks have been incredibly genuine and helpful with their posts - good on you all. IMO, your best advice has been to look closer to home and find a hunting buddy. With a partner you make learning mistakes twice as fast. Don't want to sound too harsh as I'm fairly new to this site (although have been chasing critters hard for over 20 yrs), but this ain't desperation, it's hunting. Spent 7 seasons hunting 2-3 weeks + figuring out RM elk with some help but mostly on my own. Wouldn't trade a moment of those 7 skunkings in a row - I had quite a few life changing encounters with 5 or less point Bulls at less than 30 yards. Funny, just writing that gives me the chills, brings back those awesome memories... But that's the point I'm trying to make... If you choose to measure your hunting success solely by critters killed, your missing out. Hunting can be so much more than that. I do hope you were lucky today, but if not what will you do differently next time? Believe it or not, you'll be a better hunter for getting thru tough seasons. Harvest or not, come July next year you'll be raring to go like the rest of us!

avadad
10-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Some good hunting on the Coq. learn how to do the gutless technique and its easy to fit a deer in a cooler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNVZXbbIuo
I hunted for 7 years before I shot my first buck. You'll learn something new every time you go out. Good luck!

Sofa King
10-30-2014, 10:30 PM
I guess some view hunting differently.
the fun for me is the hunt, and trying to outsmart a buck.
and, just getting out there and hiking through the woods, and having an excuse to do so.
for me, all the fun is over once the trigger is pulled.

drbb
11-01-2014, 11:23 AM
OK, tons of good advice/information from the folks. I am going to report on the last day and then wait to see what happens in future.

On Tuesday, I was hunting a spot that I have come to know a bit better over the past two years. Whenever I visited this area, I saw 3-5 does, several fawns, and on occasion a two or three point (of course, you see them when you cannot shoot them). Anyway, when I got there on Tuesday, I waited several hours and walked around for another couple of hours without seeing a single deer. I however saw plenty of boot marks and ATV tracks in places that I had not seen them before. When I packed and came down the road, I noticed that the ranches at the hill of mountain were filled with cattle (literally 100's). I hypothesized that the ranchers had gone into the bush to round up the cattle on previous days and that drove the deer away.

Not being sure how much time the deer need to go back to the spot, I assumed 2 days would be enough to at least have some of them back. On Thursday, I went back to the same spot (which does not need an SUV to get to, but still is 300km from home). The forest was dead quiet and after waiting from 6:30am to about 10am, I only saw a doe and her two fawns (whom I had seen several times before). It seemed that the deer with better mobility had not returned to the area yet. Interestingly, another fellow, who is a much better hunter than I am, also said he saw no deer on that day.

Anyway, I drove towards home, but on my way decided to check on one of the FSRs on Coquihalla that I had seen whitetails before about 10km deep. I drove up for about 4km in my car, but heard so many scratching and scraping sounds beneath my car that decided to call it the day.

However, anticipating the whole situation, I was more resourceful this time. Before heading out, I threw in a rod and my tackle in the car. On my way back, I stopped at Satve river and caught a couple of salmon. I dropped one of at friend's and went back home. Hunting-wise, not so interesting, but it was not too bad of a day either.

I may try again later this year, but getting the time off is harder now. I do get the point about enjoying the moment and all, but to me, the goal of the trip is to connect with what you are after. I guess you can set the goal to enjoying the outdoors and the kill would be the icing on the cake.Because I am relatively new, the trophy is not a driver yet. For me, being outdoors is definitely fun, but it is the hunt that makes me get out of bed at 2am and get in the woods.

Nonetheless, life goes on. Thanks again for all the comments and insight.

Sofa King
11-01-2014, 11:41 AM
and for me, hunting and fishing are completely different. i love hunting, the killing is the ultimate end result goal, but i also have a disdain for it as it means the end. i guess the big difference is that one cant do c&r with the deer. with fishing, i dont enjoy just fishing too much, i love catching. im not very happy with going out all day and being skunked.

MichelD
11-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I have had a deer and a bear in the trunk of a Toyota Corona on different occasions and a deer on top of a Datsun 210 station wagon too.

Went to some pretty knarly places with those vehicles too.

scott h
11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
It's your money but I'd take a car and drive to where you can get, park and set up a tent. Day tripping 600 km is nuts.

X2
I think you found your main problem. 600 km in a day does not leave anytime to hunt. I think you might be better off not getting out so far with a SUV but going where you are able to with your own vehicle and spending the night in a sleeping bag.
Most of my deer this season(and most years) have been taken at the end or beginning of legal light.