PDA

View Full Version : What type of rope or cord do you use?

bcd
10-28-2014, 05:31 PM
I've been carrying 550 paracord in my pack which is nice because of the strength to weight ratio, but I find when pulling something heavy it stretches, especially when wet, and cuts in to your hands if not wearing gloves because it's so thin.

So as the title says, what type of rope or cord do you use? In pack, around camp, dragging and hanging game etc.

I have a moose hunt coming up and thought it may be time to upgrade a bit. Willing to invest in good quality, as it seems to make a big difference in weight/bulk to strength ratio, and this will be a canoe/backpack hunt.

NO IDEAS
10-28-2014, 05:50 PM
As far as rope are concern there is only one in my opinion SAMSON SPECTRUM /SPECTRA ROPE also call amSteel it is a 12 strand class II rope. size versus SWL it is amazing, please check there web site. www.samsonrope.com (http://www.samsonrope.com) and look for amsteel blue /or validator12. I have been using the same rope for 15+ years, 5/16"= 10000lbs.SWL +-.

lip_ripper00
10-28-2014, 09:04 PM
X2 on the amsteel blue, just picked up 300' at redden net in Richmond. Not cheap but have never had it fail.

Murder
10-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Sometimes I notice "Mule Tape" show up in the dumpster at work after the crew has pulled in a bunch of cable. Thin, light and 2500lbs. I always grab it. You can bunch up a few hundred feet and takes no space. It is unconventional, but some of the best things are

boxhitch
10-28-2014, 11:51 PM
No need to get all tacticool , I just use the 1/4" or 5/15" braided poly that CT puts on sale . 50 ft bundle wrapped up nice and tight , until you open it up to use.

........."Mule Tape" show up in the dumpster at work..... That stuff is strong. Have some in the quad and sled as a tow rope.

goatdancer
10-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Sometimes I notice "Mule Tape" show up in the dumpster at work after the crew has pulled in a bunch of cable. Thin, light and 2500lbs. I always grab it. You can bunch up a few hundred feet and takes no space. It is unconventional, but some of the best things are

Great stuff and the price is right. I have a bunch of it from my working days.

bcd
10-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Checked out the amsteel blue at a marine store and it looks good, impressive specs. Do you guys use different diameters for different things, or just one to keep it simple? I don't need the strength of the thicker stuff, but I could see it being easier to use and handle, and give a margin for wear and tear.

boxhitch, it's only tacticool if I get all my rope in black :) There's definitely a place for cheap rope, hanging tarps and stuff so you can cut it to the right length without worrying about the cost. But most of the cheap stuff is rated pretty low for break strength and I like to have a bit more confidence in my gear than that, even if it's overkill 99% of the time.

Can you get mule tape by the foot? Assuming not given its intended purpose.. It's cheap per foot, but I won't use 3000' in a lifetime!

M.Dean
10-29-2014, 04:25 PM
I like using cloths line cord, it's plastic wrapped, doesn't stretch, and it's cheap.