PDA

View Full Version : November Moose hunting tips

Rob
10-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Going with a buddy on his Nov bull draw, we'll be in 3-13 third week and have an area picked out, but wondering for you moose hunters out there if you can give some advice on hunting strategies for hunting these guys post rut? are they held up in timber? etc, never really hunted moose so I dont have much info for him as he is new to this as well.

Thanks, rob

srupp
10-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Hmmm Rob Nov. Is all about food
Red willow is choice..
Bedding will be close..use snow to backtrack
Beds will be in timber...bit higher elevation....= dry..
Moose need 40 pounds browse per day..
First light is best..was a long dark nite...hungry..also seek som sun for extra warmth..
Just inside treeline sneak facing into wind...moose do not like ice on lakes etc..
Steven

Stillhunting
10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
My advice is to put in for the rut draw instead:mrgreen:, but your best bet is to locate their feeding areas as they usually don't move too much that time of year unless pressured. You should have snow by then which will be helpful. I know of several likely spots in your MU. PM me if you're not seeing any fresh sign.

Rob
10-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys, Yup, Oct would be more fun lol

MB_Boy
10-28-2014, 02:37 PM
SRUPP really nailed it as per usual. :wink:

Although not common to have them vocal that late I wouldn't hesitate to letting out a bull grunt every once in a while.

markomoose
10-28-2014, 02:44 PM
November is and always has been my favorite time to hunt moose.Snow on the ground for tracking.You drop a moose you have cool temps for hanging and most times you skid them out with your machine.Last year we had the bulls squawking at the cows in 5-02 first week of November.

Ltbullken
10-28-2014, 03:04 PM
I think they will be in the best habitat that permits access to food and cover. It is still worth calling around those spots too as the second rut is kicking in now. About 15% of the cows (the ones that didn't get impregnated on the first rut) are going into estrus. You won't get the response as you would if it were late Sept but I took a bull once that came into a cow call in early Nov.

ElliotMoose
10-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Srupp nailed it. They are on the move with one thing on their mind.. food. Personally our group has had better success in the last two weeks of November when they really feel the winter coming on and their instincts tell them it's time to pack on weight, so your timing should be good. We never had much luck in the first week or two of Nov as I find that's when the bulls are usually holed up in the timber somewhere after the rut and sometimes will hardly move at all. Having the snow is a blessing for tracking and we usually find them hanging around meadows that are bordered with red willow. First light is prime time!

250 sav
10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
what srupp said. Many times the bulls will stay in a small area to recover feed and rest. In some areas I know they will move down to the aspen willow areas at lower elevations.

Dour
10-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Great tips Ty I use them on my nov hunt. But unfortunately. I could only get the first week off.

Darksith
10-28-2014, 03:27 PM
the strategy is: cover ground, cover ground cover ground. They won't be in the deep watery swamps anymore, they will be in the cut blocks and the dryer marshy area's that have their food sources. Depending on the time in november, they may be in 2nd rut looking for the cow they missed on the first go round. If just after that they will be in the timber recovering. Best bet is to...cover ground...lots and lots of it ;) Don't forget to cover lots of ground. If you dont find sign, keep moving.

2 years ago when I did the same hunt Im about too, we saw 38 moose in 7 days...2nd rut is a great time to hunt moose, they can be very vocal.

srupp
10-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Hmm good catch on the snow dripping..absolutley correct...cows may actually sound desperate in the second estrus if still open..some of the younger bulls respond immediatly this time around..
If cold ...they are steady after yhe grub...some bigger bulls tired and worn out may hole up but will get on the feed bag pretty quick..
Strange year this one..
Good luck
Steven

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Bring lots of fuel. Put on the miles and look for fresh tracks. They won't be far away, as they tend to hole up in a willow patch and eat everything in sight. Cut track, follow to moose, shoot moose.

Ltbullken
10-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Hmm good catch on the snow dripping..absolutley correct...cows may actually sound desperate in the second estrus if still open..some of the younger bulls respond immediatly this time around..
If cold ...they are steady after yhe grub...some bigger bulls tired and worn out may hole up but will get on the feed bag pretty quick..
Strange year this one..
Good luck
Steven

Yep! The young guys who couldn't get any the first time will be looking for some 'seconds'!

You can see the same behaviour in a bar too any time...

Ltbullken
10-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Bring lots of fuel. Put on the miles and look for fresh tracks. They won't be far away, as they tend to hole up in a willow patch and eat everything in sight. Cut track, follow to moose, shoot moose.

Ditto. Look for fresh browsing on willow, douglas maple and osier dogwood - preferred foods. If it's close to cover -- moose haven!

Rob
10-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Awesome responses guys thanks, feeling more optimistic about it now

Anfoman76
10-28-2014, 07:49 PM
good advice all around. Wish I'd had it a couple years ago.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Rob, did you guys get a moose?

Rob
11-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Rob, did you guys get a moose?

Packing now, heading out in am

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Packing now, heading out in am

Ah ok, good luck!

http://www.designofsignage.com/application/symbol/hands/image/600x600/hand-cross.jpg

Rob
11-17-2014, 01:34 PM
lol, thanks man

tinhorse
11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Was just up in Prince George last week and saw 7 moose, 3 bulls, one of them being an immature....of course they closed on the 5th. Saw them all between 9:30 and 11:00 am. Nothing at first light oddly enough. They were in 3 groups on seperate days and in different areas of each other but all were in cutblocks that were 3-6 years old. Find food