PDA

View Full Version : Hunters stealing from hunters

Ddog
10-28-2014, 09:28 AM
As the title says, this is the first year that i have had something stolen from the bush, some other hunter/s decided that it was an ok thing to steal my SD card from my trail cam and shut the camera off. Over the past 6 years that i have been using trail cams i have only heard of them getting stolen from people and i have been lucky enough to have caught a few people on the cam but have not had one stolen.
This past elk season i had one cam on a spot and some scumbag decided it was an ok thing to do by taking the card out and turning the cam off, this is totally a scumbag POS thing to do. Any way you look at it, it is still theft and can all yourself a thief whether or not you think so.

i cannot believe that another hunter walking through the bush thinks its ok to take a cam off a tree that someone has placed in hopes seeing what walks by.
over the years i have found several cameras in the bush and have either waved at them or in one case mooned one cause we thought we knew who's it was. It has never even once crossed my mind to steal it.

Here's a thought to the thieves out there that have done it: BUY a camera with your own hard earned money, BUY a card for it, take the time to find a place to hang it in anticipation of finding your dream animal. Wait some time and then go check it yourself, Hope it gets stolen from you!

this is my Rant sorry if its in the wrong place but it is about hunting gear.
and to all of you who are going to say "how do you know it was another hunter?,, yes it was, it is not a hiking, nor biking. nor walking your dog area, it was in an area that only a hunter would venture into IN the east koots
…D

Drillbit
10-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Maybe they didn't take the card and threw it in the bush by the camera?

If there's no gain for them, is it still theft?

Either way, sounds like someone noticed they were caught on camera and didn't like it. If they were a thief the whole camera would be gone.

Ferenc
10-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Yep but it's your call... Just like crumpling up 3- 100 dollars bills and leaving it in the bush .... Just saying !!

adriaticum
10-28-2014, 10:00 AM
It's unfortunate. Shit happens, assholes exist.
You can never really be prepared for assholes.

Wentrot
10-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Part of the risk involved with using trail cameras unfortunately. Be happy the entire thing wasn't gone when you got back-best thing to do is go farther in to the abyss away from people and reset.

swampthing
10-28-2014, 10:13 AM
It wasn't hunters that did it. It was criminals hanging out in the bush instead of the city.

tomahawk
10-28-2014, 10:54 AM
It wasn't hunters that did it. It was criminals hanging out in the bush instead of the city.
Agree wholeheartedly, hunters don't do this shit, scum bags carrying a rifle do!!!!!!

SeaScene
10-28-2014, 11:36 AM
I do not agree with hidden cameras in the woods when I am hunting and all of the philosophy I value as a hunter. I am now conscious of the fact that I may be filmed while in the wilds; one of the last if not the last place of refuge from a sick society of infinite information gathering scrutiny about the individual. However, trail cams are legal for now and I respect the rule of law until it changes. Nobody should steal your trail cam.

mark
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
In 8 years of using trail cams, i havnt had one stolen until this year.
My partner has had his card stolen from unlocked cams twice now.
As others have said, be glad it was just the card and not the whole cam. Cards are cheap!
still sucks, i know.

GoatGuy
10-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Probably someone from crazybrook.

Ferenc
10-28-2014, 12:26 PM
You would think by saying locked I'm thinking so it's rendered useless to the thief to use or locked so it can't be opened up .... For the card or taken from where it's placed ...or damn near bullet proof

bighornbob
10-28-2014, 12:44 PM
I guess I am the opposite. I found a cam last month up Goudie that was placed 100 yards from where I used to hang mine and had a stand hanging. I noticed the cam as the hunter also erected a cloth blind 30 meters away ( I am assuming a bow hunter as a rifle guy could have easily placed the blind another 30 m farther away.

Anyway I was curious what he was catching on film so I opened the cam up. I found no memory card and the camera was also turned off. I returned this last weekend ( about a month since the first time) and went to check the cam. It was still there and still no memory card. So I pulled the memory card out of my regular camera and placed it in the trail cam, I also programmed it and turned it back on. Probably head back next month for a weekend of hunting and will check the cam. Maybe even bring some replacement batteries😀

BHB

GoatGuy
10-28-2014, 12:46 PM
I guess I am the opposite. I found a cam last month up Goudie that was placed 100 yards from where I used to hang mine and had a stand hanging. I noticed the cam as the hunter also erected a cloth blind 30 meters away ( I am assuming a bow hunter as a rifle guy could have easily placed the blind another 30 m farther away.

Anyway I was curious what he was catching on film so I opened the cam up. I found no memory card and the camera was also turned off. I returned this last weekend ( about a month since the first time) and went to check the cam. It was still there and still no memory card. So I pulled the memory card out of my regular camera and placed it in the trail cam, I also programmed it and turned it back on. Probably head back next month for a weekend of hunting and will check the cam. Maybe even bring some replacement batteries

BHB

Stay the H out of there - that area is not for out of towners.

bighornbob
10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Stay the H out of there - that area is not for out of towners.

I thought I saw cowboy boot prints in the blind:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
10-28-2014, 12:58 PM
I thought I saw cowboy boot prints in the blind:mrgreen:

There ain't no wt in that area anyways. Doe season wiped 'em all out.

Just like to sit up there and count the trucks go by.

ohno
10-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Camera shy grower

Brez
10-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Maybe they didn't take the card and threw it in the bush by the camera?

If there's no gain for them, is it still theft?

Either way, sounds like someone noticed they were caught on camera and didn't like it. If they were a thief the whole camera would be gone.

Get real. They stole the card. What they did with it afterwards does not matter. The gain for them is knowing what game there is in the area, without doing the work.
They spared the camera - give them that. They are using someone else's scouting skills and time and reaping the rewards. Turning the camera off doesn't matter without a card.
I've had cameras stolen, turned off, turned around. These people are scum.
It's one thing to play a joke on someone you know, it's another to become a thief.

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Seems like there are a lot of really shitty hunters that live in the Crazybrook area who want to disadvantage "the competition" as much as possible. Screwing with someone else's trailcams, trying to shut down seasons, etc.

When you go there, don't drink the water! Bring your own. Those Mofos are bat-shit crazy.

caddisguy
10-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Someone found one of my cameras in 2-2 earlier in October. I'm not too surprised, as that one was about a 30-40 minute walk with either a little climb or some bush whacking through thick stuff. He had a look at it but didn't mess with it as far as I can tell.

Not sure if he was a hunter or not, but if he reads this, there's a spike buck and a doe that hang around there... probably more coming down soon... also a pretty big bobcat. Happy hiking / hunting.

I actually took all my cameras out of the bush on Sunday... about 8 hours of hiking and I was able to get them all 3 of them. I'm not even sure why I took them. I think on some level I'm discouraged with the way my season has gone and didn't want to commit to covering that much ground again. Being damp, cold, tired and getting over a flu bug might have contributed. I kind of regret taking them out, since I am going to miss what is happening in my spots over the next month, but I guess I'll have to try to find that out first hand. I should have kept them out, just in places easier to retrieve. I guess I'll put them back up in May.

But yeah thieves suck. I stick with cheap cams because I realize I may as well be hanging cash on a tree. I've been missing out on a lot of grouse too because I've just been bringing one gun lately... I hate carrying two and there's enough thieves out in the bush I don't like leaving guns in the jeep.

srupp
10-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Hmmm years ago I started putting something unique in big game animals I harvested..only I knew whst and where it was located in the big game animal...pretty easy to determain ownership of the animal..
Somone took a couple mulie bucks right off the game pole at their camp..soon sftet that I could id my harvested animal..
Pretty sad

358mag
10-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Seems like there are a lot of really shitty hunters that live in the Crazybrook area who want to disadvantage "the competition" as much as possible. Screwing with someone else's trailcams, trying to shut down seasons, etc.

When you go there, don't drink the water! Bring your own. Those Mofos are bat-shit crazy.
Lots of really shitty hunters in our region too stealing camera's . My buddy had 2 of his stolen + I also had one of mine stolen , all on lock box's lag bolted and cable locked to a tree . Guess nothing safe any more .

K-1
10-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Some dirty *******s hit our camp last week . We were off the White River main line south of Sayward. They came in a took our Deer steaks out of the cooler that we were going to have for supper, and a 6 pack of Lucky. That was just ' Mean !!! ',,,.

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Some dirty *******s hit our camp last week . We were off the White River main line south of Sayward. They came in a took our Deer steaks out of the cooler that we were going to have for supper, and a 6 pack of Lucky. That was just ' Mean !!! ',,,.

Lucky? That's practically "baiting" some of the locals in that area! ;)

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Lots of really shitty hunters in our region too stealing camera's . My buddy had 2 of his stolen + I also had one of mine stolen , all on lock box's lag bolted and cable locked to a tree . Guess nothing safe any more .

Stand on the tailgate, easier to attach them higher in the tree.

358mag
10-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Works for me ... never had a thief problem till the hunter ### can back up ...lol.....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Gotta watch out for those camera-shy cougar hunters. They like to delete pics and/or steal the memory cards.

SSS

Backwoodninjajunky
10-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't use em and I keep hearing these stories and don't think I ever would douchebags are everywhere, I don't think anyone deserve to have their equipment tampered with or stolen.... Got to be a way to chain em up or prevent this from happening...

elknut
10-29-2014, 01:45 PM
What MU was this stolen...Have only ever saw 1 trail camera in all the years of hunting..Was thinking about buying one but ...Now I wonder..

Spy
10-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Lol the sign of a true Rd hunter ;-)

Ddog
10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
I love my trail cameras, i will continue to use them as long as i can, and yes there are lots of ways to lock them to the tree so that they won't get tampered with.. but remember LOCKS ONLY KEEP HONEST PEOPLE OUT
i love having my cams set to video and seeing what has happened when I'm not there, its so cool. i have lots of great vids, this is the first time mine has been tampered with in the years i have been using them,
and yes i agree i am happy that no-one stole the cam, but just as disappointed as if someone did.
i also agree that whomever did it is a douche, scumbag and should be smacked in the face with a ball of their own s hit

Backcountry Hunter
10-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Last year in region 5 I had a group of natives come into my camp while we were gone looking for whatever they could find but luckily the group next to us had slept in and spooked them away. It happens and it's shitty. What happened to respect for the fellow hunter/outdoorsman. Waving to the guy driving the other way, watching each others backs and trading stories while out there. We as hunters have enough of this world against us so why be against each other.

Edzzed
10-30-2014, 04:22 PM
I would leave a note in a baggie that says. Please don't steal this camera. If you want to know what animals come by here please leave an email addy and I will forward pics to you, If you don't get pics, then yes I deserve to have it stolen at a LATER DATE. Leave a pen in the baggie as well. Who knows, maybe they stole it so they could find out.

white moose
10-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Ever since we got our larger boat, we always camp up lake or up river and bring our gear with us. Heard of theft on rivers, but no problems for us so far. Too many people cruising accesseble places.

406elcamino
11-10-2014, 04:34 PM
This is the first year I have used my camera and out of the 2-3month of it being active only 1 individual walked passed it. Im sure he could see that it was there but he never touched it. I was really surprised to see someone there and the fact I couldn't identify who it was?

I have yet to see anyone else's camera out there yet though