PDA

View Full Version : Wells Grey Prov. Park: who's hunted there?

HarryToolips
10-27-2014, 04:02 PM
I have limited time for hunting this year, and fortunately I got a muley doe LEH for November in Wells Grey Provincial Park. Just wondering who has hunted there, what should I expect?? I have been told that even though it is a muley doe draw, it is still a very hard hunt, as the woods are very thick, and there are not many deer.. I don't mind hiking way in/hauling an animal out on my back, have any of you seen many muleys in the area?? How about other critters?? What about Clearwater lake, do you see many animals such as deer and moose on the shore when paddling around?? Thanks all!

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Dana is your go-to man for this draw Harry. I hunted moose there in the 1970s - I'm no help now lol.

Good luck!

GoatGuy
10-27-2014, 04:25 PM
I hunted moose there in the 1970s - I'm no help now lol.

Yeah right, I don't even think the roads are open to road hunting there. Next you're gonna try to tell us you were hiking.

The area has very, very few moose, caribou have been on the big downhill slide particularly the last couple flights. There are however a few wolves that remain in the area, although most have headed for better hunting ground.

Dana is probably your best bet for mulw deer.

HarryToolips
10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Dana is your go-to man for this draw Harry. I hunted moose there in the 1970s - I'm no help now lol.

Good luck!

Thanks bud, lol he was the one who told me it is very hard to find deer there, I PM'd him...I trust his word, but have never met him, and besides, it's good to hear opinions from as many sources as possible..

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Your best bet might be to pretend you got a NIL.

skibum
10-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Don't get discouraged - look at it from the point of view that it is open for a doe draw, so there is excess carrying capacity.

Saying that, the bush can be thick in there. I have bumped more than a few deer just hiking. But I was on the side of the park not open to hunting and I only bump animals when I don't have an open tag for them.

HarryToolips
10-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Don't get discouraged - look at it from the point of view that it is open for a doe draw, so there is excess carrying capacity.

Saying that, the bush can be thick in there. I have bumped more than a few deer just hiking. But I was on the side of the park not open to hunting and I only bump animals when I don't have an open tag for them.
LOL yup that's the way it always goes..there's gotta be a few..I'm gonna hike a ways off the road, hopefully there's snow and I can follow some fresh tracks..
'

HarryToolips
10-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Your best bet might be to pretend you got a NIL.

What's a NIL ???

Drillbit
10-28-2014, 12:47 AM
What's a NIL ???

Really??? I've had NIL on my draw results for almost 20 years (in a row) now.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2014, 02:53 AM
That's what they put on the piece of paper when you don't get any LEH draws. 'NIL'.

SSS

HarryToolips
10-28-2014, 06:00 AM
That's what they put on the piece of paper when you don't get any LEH draws. 'NIL'.

SSS

Ah..thanks bud...lol 3 am wakeup for work? At least you get practice wakin for early mornin hunts...

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Ah..thanks bud...lol 3 am wakeup for work? At least you get practice wakin for early mornin hunts...

Haha. Up at 2:15am every day right now. When I finally get a chance to get out hunting in three weeks, I'll have time for a nap before I head out the door.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Haha. Up at 2:15am every day right now.

SSS

You should get someone other than Calvin to check that prostate condition. Like a doctor.

horshur
10-28-2014, 06:24 PM
don't go to the lake......stay closer to town.

250 sav
10-28-2014, 06:48 PM
never seen deer from lakes but have seen goats,grizz,wolf,moose and caribou. My info is old as I havn't been up the since the 90's

B-rad
10-28-2014, 07:12 PM
I salmon fish the west side of Clearwater river in August,,,,the road goes up about 29-32 km,,,,,,I'm NOT sure if your allowed to hunt up there or not,,,,but travelling back and forth between fishing spots I see a good couple handfuls of doe-fawn-yearlings,,,,,,lots of black bear and a couple of wolves,,,,,,but Dana the definite go to person on that area,,,,my area is Kamloops and areas,,,,,good luck

Johnny G1
10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
In the 12 yrs that I have went up both sides of the river I have seen 1 bear with twins and maybe 6 deer and I go up there at least 6-8 times a yr as far as the lake, seen nothing this summer at all other than a couple bushy tails. A little tough getting off road also, pretty steep in most places. East side up through the park has a lot of people living up there until you get buy the lodge. Just my thoughts.

HarryToolips
10-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Good to know thanks guys....

Cordillera
10-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Hunt the trails in the upper Clearwater valley in November. Deer come off the high country when there's a big snow. Not many roads and the bush is thick.

HarryToolips
10-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Hunt the trails in the upper Clearwater valley in November. Deer come off the high country when there's a big snow. Not many roads and the bush is thick.

Good to know, thanks man..