PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

Piperdown
10-26-2014, 07:40 AM
So as the title sates would like to hear your opinions on a thing that happened on our moose hunt. We have property up north and have 4 partners on the property, 3 of us have built our own cabins that we own separately. The one partner has kind of gone off the wall but that is another story. What he did do on the day before the GOS was charter a plane and fly all around the hunting area to spot moose and mark the location of the animals so he would know where to go opening morning. Now I believe it is 6 hrs no hunting after being in a plane which he did do except one of his partners proceeded to go out right after arriving back at his cabin. Question is do you agree with this type of behavior or not, ethical or not, would you do it or not. Interested in hearing from fellow HBC members.

Alfonz
10-26-2014, 07:50 AM
If the guy that was in the plane told the other partner that was on the ground about the location of the moose and then partner that was not in the plane went hunting them within 6hrs of the flight. I think there might be a problem?

Ferenc
10-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Page 15 of the hunting regs states it's unlawful to do so ...section 28 stats that.. Not to cool !!! Taking he flew around a bit and not straight to his cabin. But you say a day before the gos season and went as soon as the plane landed or am I reading it wrong

allan
10-26-2014, 07:54 AM
I don't know why your posting this.
if rules were broken call a CO, if they weren't, get off your high horse trying to make your self feel like a superior hunter by complaining about someone else's hunting strategies.
posts like this just add fuel to the fire making us all look bad.
Thats my opinion.

plumberjustin
10-26-2014, 08:01 AM
"Now I believe it is 6 hrs no hunting after being in a plane which he did do except one of his partners proceeded to go out right after arriving back at his cabin."

You have it right, line 28 on page 15 in the regs spells it out quite clear. Put aside the poor ethics, this is a criminal offense and should be reported. Especially if the individual in question was successful in harvesting a moose.

tinhorse
10-26-2014, 08:04 AM
The part I question is that this is the day before it opens and his buddy goes out right after they got back? Sounds like hunting out of season to me...

Ranger95
10-26-2014, 08:19 AM
So as the title sates would like to hear your opinions on a thing that happened on our moose hunt. We have property up north and have 4 partners on the property, 3 of us have built our own cabins that we own separately. The one partner has kind of gone off the wall but that is another story. What he did do on the day before the GOS was charter a plane and fly all around the hunting area to spot moose and mark the location of the animals so he would know where to go opening morning. Now I believe it is 6 hrs no hunting after being in a plane which he did do except one of his partners proceeded to go out right after arriving back at his cabin. Question is do you agree with this type of behavior or not, ethical or not, would you do it or not. Interested in hearing from fellow HBC members.

Sounds like iyou are unhappy maybe a little disgruntled with your partners - perhaps thier unethical behaviour just flies right up your nose....and it's unpalatable!

want to sell me your share?

Piperdown
10-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Ok let me clarify, we can drive to the cabins do not need a plane, the GOS was the next day, sole purpose for the plane ride was to look for moose for the next day. As far as i can see no rules were broken with the exception of the one member going out right away but the GOS was the next day and he did not drop anything on the 19th. The question was more about would you do it, level of ethics do you call this hunting etc. As for reporting to a CO did this for a nice bull that was shot on the evening of the 19th, opening was the 20th. They got the poacher took his gun and he has a court date now, CO called and thanked me and said if it wasn't for me he would have gotten away with it but again this is another story.

Piperdown
10-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Sounds like iyou are unhappy maybe a little disgruntled with your partners - perhaps thier unethical behaviour just flies right up your nose....and it's unpalatable!

want to sell me your share?

You can quit the theatrics and no not unhappy with situation, do I agree with this method of so called hunting, NO, not in anyway might as well just go to the grocery store and buy some meat if this is called hunting. Maybe you might want to book a flight with him next time.

digger dogger
10-26-2014, 08:41 AM
If the plane ride was the 19th, and he walked to his "camp spot" for the night, (after he arrived immediately from plane scout) woke up on the 20th and killed a moose, no problem
Walking to a camp spot is not illegal, so if nothing was killed within the 6hrs, or before the season opener, i see nothing wrong with this. But thats my opinion.

Ranger95
10-26-2014, 08:45 AM
If the plane ride was the 19th, and he walked to his "camp spot" for the night, (after he arrived immediately from plane scout) woke up on the 20th and killed a moose, no problem
Walking to a camp spot is not illegal, so if nothing was killed within the 6hrs, or before the season opener, i see nothing wrong with this. But thats my opinion.

Thats the way I read it Dave, want to come whack some ducks sometime?

r106
10-26-2014, 08:47 AM
I have no problem with the guy that did it and went hunting the next day. Depending on the terrain it will give you an idea on whats in the area but it is far from a guaranty. Almost like using a trail cam. The animals can move a long ways in several hours. Lets face it being up north and knowing there is a a few moose in a valley is not really a shocker.

I don't agree with the guy that went hunting immediately after. If he went hunting right away it's not right and illegal

digger dogger
10-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Thats the way I read it Dave, want to come whack some ducks sometime?

Sounds good, send a pm with your # and we'll see if things can line up.
Tnx.

Pioneerman
10-26-2014, 09:03 AM
You said plane trip was day before, and partner went out the same day which was not opening season, if going to scout it is legal if going to hunt and shoot something that is not legal considering it was not open hunting season yet. You later commented on calling the CO for a animal that was shot the day before opening, was this the person you are talking about ? If you do not follow the rules we all have to follow then it is poaching, seems kind of odd to be asking here if we would do anything but report illegal hunting. I do not think anyone on this site would say illegal hunting was something that should be done. Unless I do not understand your post at all. It does seem a little confusing.

Piperdown
10-26-2014, 09:14 AM
You said plane trip was day before, and partner went out the same day which was not opening season, if going to scout it is legal if going to hunt and shoot something that is not legal considering it was not open hunting season yet. You later commented on calling the CO for a animal that was shot the day before opening, was this the person you are talking about ? If you do not follow the rules we all have to follow then it is poaching, seems kind of odd to be asking here if we would do anything but report illegal hunting. I do not think anyone on this site would say illegal hunting was something that should be done. Unless I do not understand your post at all. It does seem a little confusing.

The bull that was shot the day before opening was a total different thing and not the person who rented the plane, hope that clears that up. The area is 6-04 road hunting and quad hunting are the norm, this is an easy area no tough hike in areas has been extensively logged, so it is not like finding out what valley to hike into for the opening. They pounded a small area for the entire time, which we later found out there were some bulls, funny thing is 3 other hunters in trucks and quads dropped the bulls so maybe karma works. I am also not saying to do illegal hunting it is more about ethics, like getting into the bush, yes setting trail cams looking for sign stuff that in my mind is what hunting is all about. To me renting a plane to go look for a moose the day before is something that i would never consider, that is why I asked for opinions and it seems that a lot of hunters on this site would do this, so I guess to each his own. I was successful in harvesting a bull and a 5x4 mulie so this is not about me not getting an animal.

j270wsm
10-26-2014, 09:33 AM
I know a guy who goes out anywhere from 1-5days before elk season opens and starts flying the main valley and every little side valley looking for big bulls. Can't say I agree with it, but it's not illegal either.

REMINGTON JIM
10-26-2014, 09:47 AM
I know a guy who goes out anywhere from 1-5days before elk season opens and starts flying the main valley and every little side valley looking for big bulls. Can't say I agree with it, but it's not illegal either.

Yup your right ! BUT its not the way i want to hunt unless it WOLVES then a plane is GREAT ! :) RJ

skibum
10-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Hunting using a plane like that seems to be all about ego

To each his own

kendoo
10-26-2014, 10:01 AM
In the day when I used to fly guys would ask to fly & spot for moose I'd say sure. If we flew high we saw nothing & when I'd fly low most of the spotters were too busy puking to spot moose lol.

boxhitch
10-26-2014, 10:10 AM
What he did do on the day before the GOS was charter a plane and fly all around....... Flying and spotting ? Its done all the time

6 hrs no hunting after being in a plane which he did do

one of his partners proceeded to go out right after arriving back at his cabin Telling a partner who was not in the air then uses the info for a legal kill ? no problem.
making a kill the day before opening ? not cool

nelsonob1
10-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Nothing illegal about using a plane to spot game. You just got to wait the six hours before you hunt, and that means a clear six hours before you head out of camp in the direction you spotted any game.

all this "its legal but still unethical" is nothing more than opinion and hot air. If you don't want to do it then don't. If you don't want someone else to do it, then keep your opinion to yourself.

Avalanche123
10-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Nothing illegal about using a plane to spot game. You just got to wait the six hours before you hunt, and that means a clear six hours before you head out of camp in the direction you spotted any game.

The quote above is accurate. Obviously you didn't like it so perhaps change hunting partners? Just a thought....

Piperdown
10-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the replys folks, I guess i like more of a challenge in how i hunt and I do not hunt with this person. Nelsonbob opinions are like assholes and everyone has one! You state yours and I will state mine thank you.

Fella
10-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Seems like an expensive way to do things but if that's what he chooses to waste his money on, as long as he's following the rules then who cares?

chinook
10-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Good for you for reporting the separate incident on the 19th.

As for your original post, myself, I do not agree with it and I would not do it though it is perfectly legal. Greasy, but legal. Regarding his partner that went out, page 3 of the regs defines "hunting". If we was in the plane and was then "hunting" then, yes, he broke the rules, even if he was not intending to kill something at that time. Sit tight, enjoy the next 6 hours then off you go.

If he was not in the plane he broke no rules. I think we are presuming he was given coordinates to game from the guy on the flight. If this is the case, its really greasy as they clearly know the rules and are just trying to bullshit their way around them.

Perhaps you and the other owners could decide this other person is no longer welcome on your property.

Thats my opinion anyways.

J_T
10-27-2014, 08:27 AM
As hunters, are we not virtually 'hunting' 365 days a year? Particularly if we are in the field. Are our hunter instincts not always activated? If we're using trail cameras throughout the hear, are we not hunting? Perhaps not by the definition of the law, but we are out, learning and gathering information that will help us succeed in taking an animal

If someone heads out scouting the day before the opening, there is nothing wrong with that. If he takes his rifle for protection, there is no law against that either. If he pursues an animal with the intent to take it, he's crossing the line. But, if I understand correctly we/you have no evidence of that.

As for the air reconnaissance, provided he complies with the time requirements it isn't an issue. Not always nice to see, if it might impact your hunt, but it is legal within certain parameters.

Piperdown
10-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Hey mpotzold don't want to give details on the poached moose as there will be a court case and who knows he may be a member on here. To clear one thing up guy who went out hunting after the flight was on the plane. I think he did not know the regs as he was the older dad of one of the hunters, and i think they just wanted him to split the costs of the flight. I will give the ole boy credit he hunted harder than any of the others. Thanks for the opinions folks.

buckshot
10-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Piper, Let's see the pictures from your moose and muley! There has not been a whole lot to drool about lately!