PDA

View Full Version : Deer with No Signs

TheHappyBarnSwallow
10-25-2014, 07:19 PM
When I was warned blacktails are like ghosts, I had no idea it was going to be quite this literal.

I've been scouting an area in MU 2-6 for the last several months and, while I couldn't find any deer signs, I figured it might produce once the weather pushed the deer down lower. Sure enough, when September rolled around, I started seeing a random doe here and there. But with signs still scarce, I couldn't make out any kind of pattern as to where they were coming from or where they were going. After several failed attempts to follow the does, I decided to wait off until the beginning of the rut to have another look, hoping that it would be easier to spot a pattern once the bucks were more active.

So I went back, hit the logging road, and... nothing. Or at least nothing new. I hit the bush and found a single, rather small doe, but that was it. I thought I'd at least find some droppings, if not some rubs. Hell, even some tracks would have been nice (apparently blacktails can levitate, as even the one I was stalking wasn't leaving much to follow).

At this point, I'm not sure whether to keep checking, strike deeper into the bush, wait until it snows, or find another spot entirely. It's frustrating because I can clearly see that there are deer in there, but I can only find them when I get lucky and stumble across one. And, again, it's only ever been does. I'd really like to be able to figure out their movements so that I might be able to snag a buck. Have the does I've been seeing just been one-offs? Or is there a way to tell where the deer are moving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

hotshot
10-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Rut? Not yet 2 weeks more I reckon then it's first light or last light for best chances of seeing them move

ruger#1
10-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Found a few rubs this weekend. Lots of tracks and no deer. On clear cuts they will have trails about 20 yards in the trees line. Lots of rain. Lots of fun. Do not give up. The rut will be soon. Don't just look for a deers body. They also like peeking out of the Bush. Only get to see their head. Good luck. Whitetails are easier.

TheHappyBarnSwallow
10-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Sorry, meant pre-rut. I've been hitting it at first light, so hopefully it will improve once things are in full swing.

I may have been going too far into the tree line. I'll try casting in shallower and see if that helps!

ruger#1
10-25-2014, 08:05 PM
When the rut comes. Their trails we be a lot easier to see. They also like eating ferns. If you are at a clear cut that is going up hill. Look for them laying down on the top side of the stump. A deer bleat will get them to stand and look. Keep the wind in your face, glass the cut twice. You might only see antlers of a buck laying down.

Pioneerman
10-25-2014, 08:14 PM
if you are not seeing any droppings of any tracks, then they are pretty much not around where you are looking, even if they moved at night you would still see signs of them being around. I would suggest a different area, sometimes there are spots we might like , but they do not. Keep looking, good luck

Wentrot
10-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Stay persistent is really the only advice I can give-doesn't hurt to check new areas either! I just started seeing fresh rubs the other day, sadly the deer are still mostly showing on the trail cams out of shooting light.

Wild one
10-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Best advice I can give for blacktail is pick you're hunting area wisely. I only hunt overlooked or tougher to access areas that are good habitat. When you target these areas you will find higher percentage of bucks and deer that are less nocturnal. They can be found up high and down low it is all about food and lack of pressure.

What causes blacktail to become ghosts is hunting pressure.

TheHappyBarnSwallow
10-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys! Hopefully I'll be seeing more the next time I hit the bush.

MB_Boy
10-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Look at proguide66's threads about hunting them....there are years 2011, 2012 and 2013. A TON of good info.

Use the advanced search function and you'll find them pretty easily.

hoochie
10-26-2014, 10:54 AM
There can be several deer in an area and not much sign. This week we walked the back of a slash where we had come across 3 does the day before. The deer were standing 30 feet from the truck. we went back in to the area the next day around 13:30. We were about 1km from where we had seen the does, and we came across 7 does and a buck chasing them around. this was at about 14:00. we watched and hoped to get a shot at the 2X2 buck, but he kept running around fast, then heading into the bush, then come back out.. run around a bit more.. then he would creep back into the bush. After the deer had cleared out we walked right to where they were. other than a few tracks you wouldn't have known there were any deer there.

redthorn
10-26-2014, 02:34 PM
They are rutting already here in region two. Have watched 3 different bucks chasing does around this last weekend. All had their necks swollen like crazy. Buck that I slipped an arrow through was keyed in on does and stank like they should. Bucks are trying to rut, not all does are receptive yet, so the buck activity is some herding and a lot more cruising right now as they try to sort out the receptive does.
Rut? Not yet 2 weeks more I reckon then it's first light or last light for best chances of seeing them move

Wentrot
10-26-2014, 03:12 PM
They are rutting already here in region two. Have watched 3 different bucks chasing does around this last weekend. All had their necks swollen like crazy. Buck that I slipped an arrow through was keyed in on does and stank like they should. Bucks are trying to rut, not all does are receptive yet, so the buck activity is some herding and a lot more cruising right now as they try to sort out the receptive does.

This is certainly music to my ears.

brian
10-26-2014, 11:22 PM
They may not leave decent tracks, it may seem like they carry baggies for their crap, but eating always leaves its mark. Browsing is one of the most obvious signs to look for and its easy to tell if it is fresh. So are you seeing browse sign and deer trails? If yes then the deer are at least there at night. Then you need to learn the area better to find out where they bed during the day.