PDA

View Full Version : Srupp 2014 moose hunt

srupp
10-25-2014, 03:26 PM
hmmmm.. So I just finished posting the story of my pronghorn hunt on the out of province hunts section..
I raced back from Alberta after the pronghorn hunt and arrived in Williams Lake and Susan had trailer ready the fridge loaded and I set out East of Williams Lake for my limited entry Moose draw.. The draw was from October 1 to the 14th.. I was camp near Morehead and had my camp set up by 3 October... That afternoon I drove my quad down many trails and back roads that learned over the years and set up a dozen tampons soaked in moose urine... I found many wolf tracks.. Some substantial in size and many more than I'd ever seen.. That day while setting out the tampons I had a four-point buck walk out of the Bush and a mere 70 yards and so I harvested him using the 338 with 225 grain Barnes bullets... Overkill for sure...
The next day I drove back to Williams Lake and Susan I processed the buck using the Vacmaster 215... It was butchered and in the freezer in two hours. And back out to the hunting camp. Over the next three days I was up at 6 AM and had picked out a different spot every day to call..., I chose areas that had wide vantage spots... To maximize the calling distance. Not one reply. It was exceptionally warm some days in 17° and most days quite windy not the best conditions.
I had invited Brandon to come along to perhaps show him some of the basics of Moose hunting... And he arrived on October 8th...
The next morning we went to vantage spot and started calling ... Instantly we got a response on perhaps the second set of calls... Using the binoculars I spotted two bulls at 3.3 km away... They were on the far side of the roadway and their position was easy to locate on the GPS... The one bull hung up... He probably had a cow with him.. However the second and younger bull... Started in our direction... Brandon was amazed.. And how far the Bulls grunt carried.. And how he responded to my call and kept coming in... When the bull was 600 yards away a group of hunters came down the roadway and herded the bulll off the road.. If they would have had a tag they would've shot the bull.
We met 16 different hunters from third of October to October 13 that had limited entry hunting tags for Moose from October 15 onwards... Yet they were all out in the swamps in the Moose areas claiming the were hunting grouse..complete bullshit... And certainly gave my hunting partner... A first-time Moose Hunter a devastatingly unkind picture of certain Moose hunters...
Time after time after time for the next few days we ran into these grouse hunters.. Down in the Moose swamps... We never did meet another Moose Hunter with a legitimate tag for October 1-14!
I also had my encounter with a BIG black cat..
One morning we went into a particularly difficult and secluded place and right where I had placed the moose urine tampon were fresh bull tracks from the night before.. Within 12 feet of the tampon... And the Moose bed.. Where he had bedded was 20 feet from the tampon... We called all day with no results..
We've covered. 15 km long by 5 km wide every nook, Creek, draw cutblock and trail.. Repeatedly... With no success..
One other location I got a bull response however the way the wind was wrong and he scented me and left..
Hunter 181 was an incredible gentleman to have in camp... He helped with the supplies.. Asked intelligent questions, the more than his fair share of camp work..
I tried to demonstrate the art of Moose calling.. And the way the one bull ran in it seemed to work when there were Moose.. I try to show locations to call and why when and where... Talking everything out loud so as to teach this new Moose Hunter.
We were unsuccessful in harvesting the Moose... However we had a great trip I know that the information that I had gathered over the past 35 years was presented in a clear logical format as to what would work during the rut.
Hunter 181 was a safe ethical young man with good woods skills.. Polite intelligent questions...
I believe this is the second time that I have failed to bring home a Moose, from a local LEH hunt. But we did not fail in having a good time enjoying the outdoors and passing his heritage on to the next generation.
Thanks Mr. B.. You are welcome around my campfire anytime..

cheers
Steven

Iltasyuko
10-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Nice of you to pass on knowledge to another hunter and sounds like a good trip. Congrats on the AB pronghorn btw.

That'll probably take it for the highest use of 'tampon' in an HBC post.

300H&H
10-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a great hunt even without tagging a moose.
Congratulations on your deer, pics ?

markomoose
10-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Good on you Mr.Rupp for taking the time to pass on your knowledge to a different generation as I'm sure he appreciated the experience as much as you.You should have been a teacher? Cheers Mark

kennyj
10-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your adventure Steven. The moose must be VERY scarce in that area. Sounds like a great time out there anyways.
kenny

Mik
10-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip. Passing on the hunting tradition to someone who seems to appreciate it. You still had a successful trip with the deer in camp. Congrats.

beeker
10-25-2014, 10:47 PM
thanks for sharing the story.

big black cat?