PDA

View Full Version : When does the Rut usually start

heatherdaddy
10-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I am wondering when does the Rut usually start for the deer here in Region 2 and the Canyon or Coq part of Region 3?
Just wondering when I might increase my chance of seeing a Buck?

Leaseman
10-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Rut started to go last weekend......

Best chances? Between now and the 31st......

GROOTSKY
10-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Seeing small groups of does often with fork bucks, I'm guessing a bit early yet. This in region 6

MichelD
10-24-2014, 12:34 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?26893-Mule-Deer-Rut

250 sav
10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
you just missed it. now to end of nov in various stages

Darksith
10-24-2014, 12:54 PM
there seems to be some bigger boys dropping lately...get ready cause its coming

sawmill
10-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Around here the Whities are going hard by mid Nov.That`s why I`m sitting on my second tag.

Bugle M In
10-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Talked to a former Biologist from Kamloops a few years back.
He said Mulies start right now, but as some have said, the next cycle is later again, generally when most hunt...nov11 long weekend.
Many will say ...just look at reg 5, they close off during the 10th to 20th Nov...so that must be the peak, but I think that just ensures less hunters planning a full week of
taking time of to hunt, using the long weekend for extra days.
Meaning, rut starts late Oct ( just look at some of the bucks posted as of late, they are already showing the sign of swollen necks, smelly etc.)
The next cycle is late Nov , as others stated, but in the meantime the bucks are now dogging Does at times, till next cycle, end of Nov.
Now, all that is missing is Snow, to bring the remaining deer ( sometimes larger bucks ), from the high country down closer to winter range, but more to what I call
traditional breeding grounds.
That's why people will see larger numbers of deer in one area suddenly increasing.
Around Nov 10th, you could argue years ago, that snow was deep in the high country, thus people feeling that the rut only starts then.
I hear people saying the closure in 5 ( from 10th to 20th ) is due to the exact breeding date of does, but the long time biologist said that ain't so.
Late October for Mulies in many of BC areas, but other places, say south like Texas is much different.
I was told that if the Mulies are in fact STARTING breeding much later, say Nov ( first go around in Estrus Cycle), than it may imply the deer are suffering
from malnutrition over the past spring and summer.
I think what people are seeing is the 2nd Estrus cycle in late November, plus the incoming deer from Higher altitude when snows starts sitting high.

Also a note...I was told
Elk...near end of August for 1st cycle.
Moose...near end of September for 1st cycle.

When Elk hunting, end of September in the Koots, I can definitively confirm Moose are in fact rutting at the end of Sept.
Ironically, season doesn't open till late Oct 20th where I go.
So...what does that tell you what the biologist already know.
They are ensuring that cows are being breed, and not as many think, that the season is only opening when the rut begins.
In fact it has already happen once!

Same with Elk, no season open in the Koots in Aug, why, because the first cycle is happening!

Weather only impacts how long they MAY stay active in Daylight hours, thus we as hunters always wish for freezing temperatures.
As hot, warm days, seem to make for long slow hunts...why??
Because the game will just stay more active at night, if female is in heat, she will be poked.
But, because when warm, they hang out in the shade...where we can't see them, and
then think they are all gone or better yet...the rut hasn't started:wink:

Lots of snow, just make for an awesome hunt, because all the deer get pushed into smaller areas...and we like to see lots of deer when out there.