PDA

View Full Version : MU 2-11 Antlerless tag. Muley near Pemberton

carlgutsche
10-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to score a doe tag for MU 2-11 for the month of November. Normally I do all of my hunting in Region 5, so I am pretty unfamiliar with the Pemberton area. Although I was successful in guiding my best friend in on his first buck this year, we ended up splitting the meat 4 ways... and his first shot kinda wrecked part of one of the hind quarters. As a result my freezer is very ready for some more meat! Living in Vancouver I am only a stone throw away from Pemberton and can make multiple weekend trips to hopefully bag a doe or buck. I am also hoping to bring my girlfriend along, which would be her very first time accompanying me on my favorite past time. So I wonder if anyone would be able to give me some suggestions for the area? Exploring new areas is always a blast, but it would be great if I don't have to get turned around on a bunch of the roads.

Some roads I figure worth exploring:

- Birkenhead Lake road/Tenquille creek road
- Sixteen Mile creek FSR (although it is a little close to Whistler recreationalists for my liking)
there are two more valleys which run east/west between Green Lake and Pemberton that look like they have roads in them but they could very well be gated.
- Ryan River road (Running North West of Pemberton Meadows) Hard to say the condition of this road, and it looks steep and thick in there...
- S Creek FSR looks like it starts where the private land ends... could be good
- Lillooet FSR also looks like it has many promising branches of logging roads
- Hurley river FSR could also be promising (although only the section between where it takes off from the Lillooet FSR, and it's highest point, are within MU 2-11)

Well anyways those are my thoughts on possible spots to check out. Thanks for reading!
Best regards,

Carl

ps. Are they Mule deer or black-tailed deer or both in this area?

TAGS:
antlerless, Pemberton, mule, 2-11, blacktail,

mikeman20
10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Two of my friends have seen success on the start of the Hurley pass with a two point each, but I haven't had even a doe sighting there in two weekend trips over the years.

I really don't know the area well though, and I did see plenty of tracks in the snow

Gateholio
10-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Go to Hurley early November and shoot your doe

carlgutsche
10-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! It looks like there are many logging slashes immediately to the West of the Hurley FSR that I could also hike around in. I should also mention that I have no problem hiking in a little ways to areas that see less traffic. My only concern with the Hurley FSR is that is looks like a fairly short stretch (15km) before it joins into MU 3-33 (which has only 4-point open, and where my doe tag no longer applies).

bandit
10-24-2014, 05:22 PM
No need to go as far as pemberton. Soo valley and Rutherford both have plenty of deer. Rutherford had a fair bit of logging earlier in the year so lots of open space to sit and glass.

carlgutsche
10-26-2014, 07:35 PM
No need to go as far as pemberton. Soo valley and Rutherford both have plenty of deer. Rutherford had a fair bit of logging earlier in the year so lots of open space to sit and glass.

The Soo Valley sounds like it would be a good bet. Do you have any idea on the traffic it gets and how the access is in there?

Gateholio
10-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Soo is a mainline and you can drive it for kms. Same with Rutherford. Lots of access. Steep. Honestly, shooting a doe in November is not hard, even if you never get off of the road. There are plenty of does in. 2-11

markomoose
10-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Soo is a mainline and you can drive it for kms. Same with Rutherford. Lots of access. Steep. Honestly, shooting a doe in November is not hard, even if you never get off of the road. There are plenty of does in. 2-11Gatehouse is correct!I used to hunt Pemberton lots when I lived in Squamish.You should be able to seal the deal in one outing. Cheers Mark

ducktoller
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Tons of does up soo rutherford
I have Oct draw but thanks to work I won't be up until Nov lol

You'll see something

tinpusher
11-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Just spent 3 days in 2-11 and never saw any deer, fresh tracks or fresh droppings. Spent 2 days around Hurley and 1 day up Rutherford. Mostly walked down logging roads and sat and glassed cuts for hours. On the bright side there was zero pressure on weekdays and only saw two other hunters Saturday. The one guy I talked was trying to fill his doe draw also and hadn't seen boo. I'll be back at the end of November for one more try.

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 10:07 PM
How is it down Lilloet Lake these days??
Hunted there as a small child with my Dad many moons ago.
They used to have great success for does back then.

ultramafic
11-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Just spent 3 days in 2-11 and never saw any deer, fresh tracks or fresh droppings. Spent 2 days around Hurley and 1 day up Rutherford. Mostly walked down logging roads and sat and glassed cuts for hours. On the bright side there was zero pressure on weekdays and only saw two other hunters Saturday. The one guy I talked was trying to fill his doe draw also and hadn't seen boo. I'll be back at the end of November for one more try.

I have been out a good number of times in the area... I too have not seen many deer yet but I am seeing fresh tracks and poop all over the place... I am thinkin my timing is off having to wait for my kids to leave for school before I can go out.. Oh well perhaps ill be lucky one of these days..

mike

avadad
11-10-2015, 11:45 PM
One of my buddies had the same draw as you. He shot a nice doe in the Mt Sampson area.

Gateholio
11-11-2015, 12:19 AM
A few deer have been taken around here but there are a shitload of wolves in recent times.

Gateholio
11-11-2015, 01:48 AM
A few deer have been taken around here but there are a shitload of wolves in recent times.

ducktoller
11-11-2015, 01:59 AM
I've seen deer further south in 2-11 this year. But not many lots of tracks

MichelD
11-14-2015, 02:34 PM
They are around.

In farmer's fields.
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/micheljdrouin/a2959e1c-e1c8-4bd7-b108-66a8ea11ed45_zpsw1ihwc8w.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/micheljdrouin/media/a2959e1c-e1c8-4bd7-b108-66a8ea11ed45_zpsw1ihwc8w.jpg.html)

And up in the snow at night. Found these tracks first thing Friday morning.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/micheljdrouin/Samson2015%20018_zpszns3flzy.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/micheljdrouin/media/Samson2015%20018_zpszns3flzy.jpg.html)