PDA

View Full Version : more regulated tines/points = more pressure ?

stosto
10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Is it reasonable to assume that the higher the regulated tines/points requirement the higher the hunting pressure in the given region/MU?

thanks

sto

Sofa King
10-23-2014, 08:14 PM
if I'm reading that correctly, I'd say the opposite.
more guys will show up for any buck season I find.
some guys kinda give up when it's 4point.

yota
10-23-2014, 08:43 PM
X2 with sofa king I would say most hunters that are meat hunters would sooner go when the odds are better. more restrictions is gonna bring out the trophy/die hard and addict hunters that go any chance they can no matter if it's any buck or 4 point

stosto
10-23-2014, 08:53 PM
I agree with both of your resonaning.

The question pertains to the regulators that pick the requirements. For example, if nothing but 4-point bucks are regulated, does it imply that there is so much hunting pressure that younger bucks are off limit.

yota
10-23-2014, 09:08 PM
I understand what your asking and in my experience in the areas I hunt when it's any buck season all I seem to see is 2 and 3 points but come late season 4 point when they start to rut I seem to see more bigger mature deer not always 4 pointers but defiantly bigger deer. I think the regs are set this way to manage deer during rut and non rut times I don't think it has anything to do with the hunting pressure.

Buckmeister
10-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Every region is managed differently, some more liberally than others IMHO. I don't think it is so much pressure rather than the estimated wildlife count and mortality rates that affect the regulations. One would think that more dead animals means higher pressure, but that isn't always the case. Animals die from hunting, cars, predators, old age, sickness, etc...

Then again, what do I know really?

Buckmeister
10-23-2014, 09:15 PM
I understand what your asking and in my experience in the areas I hunt when it's any buck season all I seem to see is 2 and 3 points but come late season 4 point when they start to rut I seem to see more bigger mature deer not always 4 pointers but defiantly bigger deer. I think the regs are set this way to manage deer during rut and non rut times I don't think it has anything to do with the hunting pressure.

Oh yes, forgot to mention the rut as well. Region 8 seems to shut down deer hunting right when it is getting real good during the rut, in my observations anyways for the areas I hunt.

TrickleCharger
10-24-2014, 04:41 AM
I thought it was more to do with limiting the number of deer taken when they're most vulnerable. If any buck was open in the peak of the rut there would be a ton of younger bucks killed.

Wild one
10-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Not a fan of point restrictions it just causes a large increase in pressure on the any buck/bull seasons. I would rather see a lower prov bag limit, shorter seasons, and special weapon seasons used over point restrictions. Spread the pressure throughout the season

Lots of better options out there

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2014, 08:58 AM
I think the regs are set this way to manage deer during rut and non rut times I don't think it has anything to do with the hunting pressure.

Actually, it's the opposite. Antler point restrictions are designed to manage hunters, not mule deer.

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Not a fan of point restrictions it just causes a large increase in pressure on the any buck/bull seasons. Purely a social reason, which has nothing to do with managing deer numbers/herd health.

I would rather see a lower prov bag limit, Why? We're not killing anywhere near harvest maximum percentages anywhere in the province. For example, we're at about 3 - 4% on WT when we can take >15% every year.

shorter seasons, Why? You just complained about pressure and you want to spread harvest out, then you want to shorten seasons and put all the pressure into a shorter timeframe. That's a complete contradiction.

and special weapon seasons used over point restrictions. Special weapons seasons currently run from ~ Sep 1 to Dec 20 for much of BC. Do you want more than 4 months of opportunity for a minority of hunters, at the expense of opportunity for the majority of hunters? That's where some people get confused - they confuse what's good for themselves with what's good for deer populations.

Spread the pressure throughout the season See the above comment on shorter seasons.

As to the OP's question, antler restrictions and highly-regulated seasons are found to be discouraging or extremely discouraging for almost 60% of hunters, and reduce participation dramatically.

Meat and meat, then selective hunters make up ~80% of the hunting population.

http://peachlandsportsmen.com/declininghunters.pdf

Meat and meat, then selective hunters often expressed difficulty in finding legal game and
indicated that 4 point Mule Deer, 6 point Bull Elk and sometimes 2 point Bull Moose seasons,
were extremely frustrating and decreased their participation.

These trophy seasons were likened to a cost/benefit analysis much as in business. When asked:
What deters you from hunting? One respondent indicated: “Mostly the odds. Would likely hunt
more but basically have a ‘realistic’ attitude about my chances of finding a ‘qualified’
specimen.” These sentiments were echoed in several surveys.

Wild one
10-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Not going to talk special weapons seasons with you as a management tool as you are in the stone age and not willing to open your eyes on how this is used ALL OVER North America with good results. Easy way to allow a low impact on population hunt with limited restriction beyond weapon restrictions.

Shorter overall season with no point restriction would spread pressure better than the point restriction any buck season combo we have now.

Longer period of less restrictions may call for a different bag limit as it may increase overall success rate.

Yes, I know about the allowable harvest numbers that are estimated along with what is actually harvested. Most species in BC no one really knows what is taken out of the population so we don't know if allowable harvest is reached or not

But hey I don't expect you to be willing to look at the different options that are EFFECTIVELY used across North America.

Point restrictions and LEH are the tools of choice here in BC it will stay that way as long as there are closed minded hunters.

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Not going to talk special weapons seasons with you as a management tool as you are in the stone age and not willing to open your eyes on how this is used ALL OVER North America with good results. Easy way to allow a low impact on population hunt with limited restriction beyond weapon restrictions.

Shorter overall season with no point restriction would spread pressure better than the point restriction any buck season combo we have now.

Longer period of less restrictions may call for a different bag limit as it may increase overall success rate.

Yes, I know about the allowable harvest numbers that are estimated along with what is actually harvested. Most species in BC no one really knows what is taken out of the population so we don't know if allowable harvest is reached or not

But hey I don't expect you to be willing to look at the different options that are EFFECTIVELY used across North America.

Point restrictions and LEH are the tools of choice here in BC it will stay that way as long as there are closed minded hunters.

When there is no conservation concern on deer, why would you cut seasons? Why would you decrease bag limits?

Your plans are all purely social, to decrease the number of hunters. That's the last thing we need.

We live in a province with an amazing amount of opportunity, opportunity that is sustainable. It sure burns my arse when special interest groups try to reduce that opportunity so that they can have the bush to themselves.