PDA

View Full Version : wolf hunt help

BearStump
10-23-2014, 07:50 PM
hey guys, I just committed to an ice fishing trip with 10 buddies at Horse lake at the end of january.
Never been there, but I do know that im not a huge fan of ice fishing. unless theres a ton of booze involved, which there will be for them. But for my own reasons I wont be drinking that weekend, and I'd like to spend the days slaying wolves if i can.
I've never hunted woves before. Seen a few here and there but never hunted them. I'm thinking foxpro electronic call a comfy chair, warm clothes and some cover. But dont have a clue where to start.
Any advice, or better yet some ranchland permission where wolves may be a problem?
It appears at a quick glance that all the dogs and cats will be open when I'm there so whatever comes to the call is gonna get stung.

Big Hoss
10-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Seen lots of sign and lots of howling up Doman rd on the east end of Horse Lake 2 weeks ago

two-feet
10-23-2014, 08:26 PM
A big part of hunting is being in the right place at the right time, I think this is even more true for wolves as they are so smart and so aware of their surroundings. This being said, they are susceptible to being called in, or being shot over bait. There are calls out now that mimic a wolf howl very well and this to me seems like the best way to bring them in. They are very territorial and will feel the need to challenge another wolf on their turf where as they might not feel the need to investigate a rabbit squeal if they have a belly full of moose meat.

I have never shot a wolf but have several close encounters every year, I want a fully prime winter wolf pelt so have not pulled the trigger on quite a few different opportunities. The one shot I did take I missed.

I see lots of wolves because I am out there lots, and because region 6 has a fairly dense population. As far as a sporting challenge I think calling in wolves is great. I plan to try to get that winter wolf pelt again this year.

Good luck and maybe give that ice fishing a solid try!

The Dawg
10-23-2014, 09:09 PM
www.wolftracker.ca

Also a fall contest if you are lucky enough to smack one.

Sitter
10-23-2014, 09:21 PM
The wife saw one 5 years ago behind our cabin at Sheridan Lake. I didn't believe her until I shot at one and missed just north of highway 24 the same year. It was pushing 5 bull moose all at once into the bush for his buddies to take down. And two more in the dark this fall just south of highway 24. They are there but..... it's a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned.

BearStump
10-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Seen lots of sign and lots of howling up Doman rd on the east end of Horse Lake 2 weeks ago
thanks Hoss, I'll check that out when I'm there, hopefully still in the area come January.

BearStump
10-24-2014, 04:32 PM
A big part of hunting is being in the right place at the right time, I think this is even more true for wolves as they are so smart and so aware of their surroundings. This being said, they are susceptible to being called in, or being shot over bait. There are calls out now that mimic a wolf howl very well and this to me seems like the best way to bring them in. They are very territorial and will feel the need to challenge another wolf on their turf where as they might not feel the need to investigate a rabbit squeal if they have a belly full of moose meat.

I have never shot a wolf but have several close encounters every year, I want a fully prime winter wolf pelt so have not pulled the trigger on quite a few different opportunities. The one shot I did take I missed.

I see lots of wolves because I am out there lots, and because region 6 has a fairly dense population. As far as a sporting challenge I think calling in wolves is great. I plan to try to get that winter wolf pelt again this year.

Good luck and maybe give that ice fishing a solid try!

seems legit. makes sense. I'll give it a go. About the ice fishing, I have done it for years, with moderate success. We usually go every year to a different lake in January. Some years better than others. But without the drinking this year will be quite different for me. For some reason I get bored as hell sitting for hours while fishing. Ice fishing or other fishing. Crown royal usually helps with the boredom. But I can sit for hours over a good hunting spot no problem.

Doostien
10-24-2014, 04:37 PM
I bought a FoxPro for this exact reason. Wildfire II. It was the recommendation I got from the CO who does the wolf trapping in my area.

I've had luck with a few different calls. Cow Moose can get results. Using the Wolf howl also works pretty well too. If they're near they'll come right for you, I had two scare the bejesus out of me by coming up thirty feet behind me. However, I've used the howl and had them run the other way too. Seems like it only really works if they are close, not a good way of calling them in.

I've started to learn to howl myself, it had been recommended that I howl and chase after any answer I got on foot. It may take awhile but I'm told it works. I've been meaning to give it a try the next time I have a free day.

Though, to be completely honest, I've run into more on roads than anything. I've certainly shot more that way.