PDA

View Full Version : Compound From a Tree Stand

tightgrouper
10-22-2014, 02:03 PM
I've had the privilege to hunt some private farm land and have been doing stalks and blind sitting with some success but the other night I saw a dandy of a buck. Well for me anyway! He had bone well above and outside of his ears so he must be a big 2 or better. I couldn't tell you because it was very dim out.
I had just missed a shot at a small doe because I was in tall grass and my shots were obviously effected by this. I could tell by the luminock motion from side to side on the way out to her. Lesson learned. On my second shot I saw the luminock blink indicating a hit and the deer walked away. I thought I should wait and watch her to see what happened. She Stayed on the field but walked another 50 yards away and started eating so I thought what the heck Ill just walk up on her since she seems ok. As I did she ran another 30 yards and circled another dear. This was interesting so I sat in the short grass in the wide open and put my bino's up on them for it was getting quite dim out now and it turns out its a big buck and he is not on to me. But im sitting in the middle of the field in plain view. I decide its just to dark to attempt anything from 70 yards out so I watch for a bit the bam, he winds me and is no longer feeding but staring at me. This goes on for 10 minutes where I try to crawl up on in him but he and the doe bolt.

Well now I have buck fever bad and am putting up tree stands. Since it is so late in the season I have chosen to use low profile stands with threaded tree steps and just a tiny seat and step but I have some questions.

I want to start hunting asap but wondering if this is posable with just putting up the stand.

The spot I have it on will have shots up to 40 yards out from the base of the tree. How do I composite for the angle? I have a range finder that does the calculation but should I trust it. I guess I should do some shooting from a tree to see.

I plan on putting up the stands and leaving them for a few days before I start using them.

Ron.C
10-22-2014, 02:52 PM
If you don`t trust your rangefinders angle compensation function and assuming your stand is in a tree and on flat ground, shoot the horizontal distance from the base of the tree to the target.

I personally pre-range landmarks from my stand to eliminate the need to this when a deer shows up.

Stéphane
10-22-2014, 05:04 PM
. . . .

I personally pre-range landmarks from my stand to eliminate the need to this when a deer shows up.

Same here. I try to have a couple of options too.

I also purchased another tree stand, which is dynamic. I screw in the steps, but I sit in the harness, which allows me to swivel around the tree. Works great. Plus, it is easy to carry with me, so if I find a great spot away from my vehicle, it's not an issue to bring the stand as it folds inside my backpack.

Best of luck!

Stéphane

greybark
10-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Hey tg , include two practice arrows with field points in your quiver . When leaving your tree stand (each time) pick out a leaf near your expected shot(s) and the results will school your brain and install confidence .
Cheers

tightgrouper
10-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Hey tg , include two practice arrows with field points in your quiver . When leaving your tree stand (each time) pick out a leaf near your expected shot(s) and the results will school your brain and install confidence .
Cheers
That is a great idea.

I am also concerned that I may not be able to sit in that tiny little spot for 3 hours. I like the idea of hanging from the harness. A bit at least.

Brez
10-23-2014, 02:38 PM
That is a great idea.

I am also concerned that I may not be able to sit in that tiny little spot for 3 hours. I like the idea of hanging from the harness. A bit at least.

I agree, That is a great idea. I would not limit myself to the height of the treestand. If you are confident of the location - and it's Location, Location, Location - get yourself high enough to minimize the possibility of the deer getting your scent without being uncomfortable. I get at least 20 feet up and up to 35 feet at times. You will have to adjust your shots for this. It's amazing how it cuts down on spooking deer or elk. I really like climbing stands if the trees allow for it and don't have many limbs, ie: lodgepole pine. If it's a place that I will continue to hunt in the future (like private property that I have permission on) I will find a tree with big limbs that will hide me while I'm there. Don't be in a hurry to set your stand. Pick the best spot - it will save you a lot of time and missed opportunities. Good luck.

greybark
10-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Hey Brez , I respectly disagree with your up to 35ft high placeing of a tree stand . I recommend a max of 15-18 ft . The higher the tree stand the "two lung" arrow strick zone becomes smaller . One must realize that looking down (at a steep angle) on the average deer chest width is approx 14 in . Half that - 7 in and exclude that side of the spine 3 - 4 in , the subtract 3-4 in from outside line of chest . This leaves you a 2 - 3 in kill zone for a single lung a may-be a marginal second lung knick . Poor shot choice which could be aleviated and the reduced angle of the shot will play out less with your mind makeing it easier .
Cheers

Brez
10-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Hey Brez , I respectly disagree with your up to 35ft high placeing of a tree stand . I recommend a max of 15-18 ft . The higher the tree stand the "two lung" arrow strick zone becomes smaller . One must realize that looking down (at a steep angle) on the average deer chest width is approx 14 in . Half that - 7 in and exclude that side of the spine 3 - 4 in , the subtract 3-4 in from outside line of chest . This leaves you a 2 - 3 in kill zone for a single lung a may-be a marginal second lung knick . Poor shot choice which could be aleviated and the reduced angle of the shot will play out less with your mind makeing it easier .
Cheers
Thanks. Nice numbers. A couple dozen deer and 2 bull elk, and no animals lost, respectfully disagree. Thought that I would pass on what works for me. I don't recall a shot over 25 meters from my stands, either. I don't recommend shooting to 60 meters either, because that makes the kill zone pretty small, but as I shoot fingers, I may not be as consistent as someone with a release. 60 meters may be a slam dunk for others. I don't take head on or quartering to shots as well. Again, just what works for me.
Biggest thing, like Clint Eastwood said, " A man's got to know his limitations." Know them and maximize your opportunities, within them, weather it's your comfortable shooting distances, or angles, or position or what heights you are comfortable at. I know guys that set their stands at less than 10 feet (just to see over the brush) because they don't like heights. Works for them.

greybark
10-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Hey Brez , The only numbers from me are Hunt buddies Bull Moose and Bull Elk arrowed downward at a steep angle that were not recovered . Both remarked that their arrows were buried to the fletching but were one lung hits . An artical in Bowbender Magazine years ago detailed a failed harvest of a large bull Moose due to such an angled shot . The hunter at that time expressed his angst but hoped his story would educate others on this poor shot choice .Both hunters vowed never to take that shot again .
The distances I discussed were close steep angled shots .
Cheers

Brez
10-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Sorry to everyone for getting off topic here.
Greybark, I forgot to mention that when I am in my higher stands, it's usually because of the terrain that I'm in and probably targeting animals on a hillside, or coming from higher up, so my shots really aren't that steep as a rule. I agree with you that I would pass on a shot at such an angle that allows for only one lung to be penetrated.
Tightgrouper, set your stands up for shots well within your comfort zone, that will be broadside and preferably slightly quartering away. Quartering away will mean the animal has gone by you and will be less likely to see you and jump the string. Also gets the front leg out of the way.
I don't think it is neccesary (sp?) to wait a few days to use your stand. I've had deer walk under me while I've been putting my stands up and one of my elk came in within minutes of using my climber (I think it heard me and was curious). Pick the good stuff from our suggestions and make it work for you.
Good luck.

Wild one
10-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Best way to be comfortable shooting from a stand is practice. Set up your stand and a target before hunting season and shoot from it.

I set my stands as low as 12ft and a max of 25ft no need to head for the sky. Set your stand so you don't solute your self. Have another tree behind you or don't go crazy cutting tree limbs.

Yes, you can hunt a stand right away. I have had success setting stands in the morning and hunting them that afternoon

tightgrouper
10-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Great discussion! My issue with height is that I never find island blacktails is places with a steady one directional breeze or wind. They are always in wind bowls with the wind going all over the place directionally. I would like to be up 20 feet but in all honesty I'm a bit nervouse of that.
Having read all the previouse comments I'll shoot for 16 or so feet. This will be my first tree stand gig so we'll see. It also depends on the tree which will be an alder so it will not be cut and dry placement like up a straight fir.

tightgrouper
10-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Just to update in case anyone is paying attention, I have 2 stands up. On location on the field I have seen nothing there foe five nights. And on I put in the forest I always spook a deer when I am lowering my bow and back pack just after I can't see my pins any more. What's up with that. When will they move in the light?

Brez
10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Simple math......
1 (Stand I have in forest has deer coming by regularly)
+ 1 (darned deer come by too late to shoot)
= 2 (Move stand to where I can catch them earlier)