View Full Version : Interesting read on what Whitetails see

marcus44
10-22-2014, 10:45 AM
http://www.petersenshunting.com/deer/whitetail/science-of-sight-whitetails/

Thoughts and opinions on this?

Buckmeister
10-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Well, I think the funniest quote is this,
"It was decided that the subjects must be all does, mostly because bucks get very agitated during the rut and simply could not be left alone with the expensive machinery."

Here's my second fav...I figured popular camo would prove to be ineffective.....and people wonder why they can't see any deer when the go hunting.
“Because of the way deer see, depth in camo patterns really doesn’t matter,” Cohen said. “Deer cannot distinguish minute detail, everything looks like a blob.

“Some parts of the camo you wear, especially the grey parts creating the depth, are reflecting blue light or UV light. This doesn’t mean you’re glowing, it just means there’s some blue tint to your silhouette. Camo is made to be attractive to us. To do that it often needs greys and subtleties, but the deer sees those as blue and can see them better. Certain camo patterns reflect this spectrum differently.”

BCLogger
10-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Camo is way overated. I've worn nothing but jeans and plaid jacket over the years and had countless deer walk within 20 feet of me without knowing I'm even there. Seems like camo is a huge fad right now, and almost every hunter is buying into it. It's a marketing scheme and the big company's are laughing all the way to the bank!

Backwoodninjajunky
10-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Camo is awesome, fad or not, just adds more to the experience.... Putting on the camo and strapping on the hiking boots, just means I'm going hunting.. Half the time you don't need it but all the time i wear it.

TIKKA TIGER
10-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Camo is way overated. I've worn nothing but jeans and plaid jacket over the years and had countless deer walk within 20 feet of me without knowing I'm even there. Seems like camo is a huge fad right now, and almost every hunter is buying into it. It's a marketing scheme and the big company's are laughing all the way to the bank!

I use to hunt in jeans and plaid jacket years ago and yes it was effective, but not to pleasant to hunt in when it got wet. Today's camo is awesome stuff and keeps you warm and dry. It's a fad I won't tire of anytime soon.

Gun Dog
10-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Camo is way overated. I've worn nothing but jeans and plaid jacket over the years and had countless deer walk within 20 feet of me without knowing I'm even there. Seems like camo is a huge fad right now, and almost every hunter is buying into it. It's a marketing scheme and the big company's are laughing all the way to the bank!You're kind of stuck -- if you want something waterproof, breathable, warm and quiet then the pattern is camo. Most of the hiking/backpacking outdoor gear is shiny and noisy.

Sofa King
10-23-2014, 01:00 PM
i wear camo so that other hunters cant see me. slow movements is what i use to keep the deer from seeing me.

BCLogger
10-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Camo is awesome, fad or not, just adds more to the experience.... Putting on the camo and strapping on the hiking boots, just means I'm going hunting.. Half the time you don't need it but all the time i wear it.

Exactly, it's all about the image. You're not a hunter unless you're wearing camo gear.

BCLogger
10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
i wear camo so that other hunters cant see me. slow movements is what i use to keep the deer from seeing me.

I can understand your reasoning here. Good point.

Bugle M In
10-23-2014, 06:47 PM
camo = game face = hunting + quiet + warm + dry = great outdoor experience = priceless!

Wentrot
10-23-2014, 06:58 PM
I wore jeans when I first started and after changing to some higher end camo gear will never look back. The comfort is to much to ever leave now. Who wants to hike all day in sweaty jeans anyhow, that sucks lol.

Monashee
10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Wool is still best . Sparks from the fire won't melt holes in it .

Sofa King
10-23-2014, 08:50 PM
and here someone thought the deer wouldn't see his truck if he camo'd the wheels.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Q4Lq3RykhTIvWbjrCtM5R3WaepC_U Aj_gB8tUY1H1OG8Tf20QQ (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.camotruck.net%2FphpBB2%2Fview topic.php%3Ft%3D51%26sid%3D541b084471156f1a13fbf21 1af9f2fdb&ei=dsxJVMGsC6H7igLX34DgAw&bvm=bv.77880786,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNHa2luJ47NJtqsn5tNUPTrIgbhgpQ&ust=1414208946460287)

Bugle M In
10-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Wool is still best . Sparks from the fire won't melt holes in it .

true...but at night I change out to something cheap just for that reason...and the smoky smell

Bugle M In
10-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I'd love to be the guy driving that truck.....
it would mean I have a whole lot of money to burn, and a whole lot of time on my hands to waste!!:-D