PDA

View Full Version : Female Mule deer with antlers

alpestrine
10-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Who has taken a doe with antlers in BC? I know a person who got a, well, what appered to be a spike buck. And it turned out to be a doe with long spikes. They were worried that it was a illegal harvest. I read that they are extremly rare. What is the legal defination of "buck". The only way I know how to ID a male is by antlers.

MB_Boy
10-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Page 3 of the regs.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Provincial_2014.pdf

blaine
10-22-2014, 07:43 AM
I think as long as the animal has antlers your good to go because I hope we don't have to start looking underneath for junk as well

J_T
10-22-2014, 08:01 AM
We've taken a few over the years. As bowhunters we can see that it is a doe with Antlers. While their nature is to hang with the does, they are not welcome in the deer family and constantly get picked on. Often at odds with the fawns, they are usually a bit bigger body and they taste great. So we cull them. As the regs say, it's an antlered animal.

Sofa King
10-22-2014, 08:11 AM
totally legal. has antlers, shootable deer in buck season, as long as the rack meets the regs requirement.

MB_Boy
10-22-2014, 08:16 AM
they are not welcome in the deer family and constantly get picked on. Often at odds with the fawns, .

Sounds like poor little Rudolph....bullied, can't play games with the young ones. Although Rudolph was purported to be male in the classic Christmas Special....I bet nobody checked his undercarriage as he WAS a bit feminine.

http://www.weeatfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Rudolph-Red-Nosed-Reindeer-007.jpg

Ram1076
10-22-2014, 09:07 AM
My brother took a White tail doe down last week when we went to gutt it we noticed stubbies on it's head but no testicles or penis just nipples. Never seen this before.

Who has taken a doe with antlers in BC? I know a person who got a, well, what appered to be a spike buck. And it turned out to be a doe with long spikes. They were worried that it was a illegal harvest. I read that they are extremly rare. What is the legal defination of "buck". The only way I know how to ID a male is by antlers.

MB_Boy
10-22-2014, 09:13 AM
My Dad was a senior biologist back in MB.....have seen a few whitey bucks via him; brought into the Department offices that....were does.

john.b
10-22-2014, 10:12 AM
The way it was explained to me is that they are hermaphrodite deer and can be counted either as a doe or as antlered. .. dont hold me to it, im just repeating what i heard

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2014, 11:35 AM
The way it was explained to me is that they are hermaphrodite deer and can be counted either as a doe or as antlered. .. dont hold me to it, im just repeating what i heard

Not holding you to it.....but hermaphrodites have both types of sex organs. Does with antlers are still does.
If you shoot something with antlers, you will have to cut your tag as antlered. That's why the tags say 'antlered' or 'antlerless'.
If you're a young buck, just don't let your friends catch you doing something with antlers:-D.

SSS

Duck Buster
10-22-2014, 02:00 PM
I shot a WT a couple of weeks ago that had spikes and girlly bits. Tagged it as an antlered deer, no issue at the cutter, tasted great....

Dannybuoy
10-22-2014, 02:35 PM
I had a inlaw that shot a whitetail some years ago that had antlers but wasn't a buck ... he refused to eat the meat .... didn't want to catch what it had I guess ? LOL
I shot a spike mulie 20+ years ago that was a female .... first and last spike I ever shot .... although it was a good size and tasted fine .... I just didn't tell the family that it wasn't normal .