PDA

View Full Version : Looking into buying an atv

Trav
10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
As the title says, I am looking into buying an atv (quad). I am looking through the info on here but would also like to hear some current opinions. Probably looking into buying new. Dont want anything fancy, just a simple, smaller, reliable quad to get me into spots and to putter along backroads. Must be able to fit in the box of my tacoma. Any recommendations? Brand? Size? Good dealerships around the Kamloops area?
Thanks for the help!

walkerbc
10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
We have had several but the one we still own is a Yamaha SE 450 that now has about 2500 kms (2008 model yr) that has been absolutely bullet proof. Wife won't let it go because it has been the most fuel efficient, easy to ride , never failed , pulled me out of several holes (my big 750--braver but stupid ). The grand children love it. I changed the battery this year not because it failed but it was 6 years old. The only complaint is the $500 first service from Yamaha. Since then we do our own. Very easy. My hunting partner has a 400 Arctic Cat which too has been without flaw. All of our 650's/750's have had suspension issues, belt replacements and break downs. Hope this helps. Regards. Walker

Singleshotneeded
10-21-2014, 08:52 PM
With your wanting to get it into a smaller truck, and compactness and reliability being important, I'd suggest you take a hard look at the Yamaha Grizzly 450 EPS. The full size Grizzly is 47" wide, the Grizz 450, (formerly called the Kodiak), is 43" wide and also shorter and lower. A friend of mine had one, and it was great on tight trails...now you can get them with EPS, and that makes them super nimble. It also lets you control the machine if you're coming back with a deer draped over it, and if you hit a rock sticking out on the trail with one wheel, the EPS will let you roll right over it without the bars being wrenched to the side. Much safer. The great thing about them is they have IRS (independent rear suspension), 4 high and low, and 4 wheel diff lock...all the features you want, and at a great price. They're not rockets, on a long straight uphill climb you might be wishing you had more power, but they're just fine on the trails!

Singleshotneeded
10-21-2014, 08:55 PM
We have had several but the one we still own is a Yamaha SE 450 that now has about 2500 kms (2008 model yr) that has been absolutely bullet proof. Wife won't let it go because it has been the most fuel efficient, easy to ride , never failed , pulled me out of several holes (my big 750--braver but stupid ). The grand children love it. I changed the battery this year not because it failed but it was 6 years old. The only complaint is the $500 first service from Yamaha. Since then we do our own. Very easy. My hunting partner has a 400 Arctic Cat which too has been without flaw. All of our 650's/750's have had suspension issues, belt replacements and break downs. Hope this helps. Regards. Walker

LOL, too funny, in the time I was writing about the Yamaha Grizzly 450, (formerly Kodiak), another guy wrote a recommendation for the same machine! :-D

ACE
10-21-2014, 09:06 PM
I believe the Honda quads still have 'gear boxes' ...... others are 'belts' ....
I still ride a '90 Honda 350 4Trax ...... bought new. Also have a newer Honda.
Lots to choose from these days ...... have fun!

bighornbob
10-21-2014, 09:23 PM
I was the same as you last year and looked at all dealers around BC and in the states. I came down to two models the Honda 400 and the yamaha kodiak 450. Chose the kodiak as it was a few inches shorter and would fit in my 6'6 box with the tailgate closed. Avoided buying in town ( kamloops) as the thought of being bent over and done dry did not appeal to me to much. Both the Vernon dealership and the one in 100 mile house had the best prices of anyone in the province that I talked too. I went with the Vernon dealer as the 100 mile shop could not get any 2013 450's shipped as the 2014's were starting to be shipped (June of last year). Vernon had a few left in stock.

Bhb

nuadixion
10-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Honda - pure and simple technology that rarely fails but is easy to service/fix

ACE
10-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Are you willing to look at an un-molested used quad?
I got a great private deal over in Vernon. I live on Vancouver Island, and it was well worth the trip. The Honda's are proven, parts are readily available, and they're fairly easy to work on. The 'gear on gear' driveline is something to consider also.

The manual shift, solid rear axle quads work well for pulling/carrying gear/game ......

RB2
10-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Honda is good. But I love my 09 Yamaha Kodiak 450. Light and nimble and a proven ride. Comes down to personal preference.

mikeboehm
10-21-2014, 10:28 PM
I have a 96 Honda foreman 400 with over 10k. this quad has never let me down. only thing I had to do. Change out my heated grips first quarter and bulletproof still on the same clutch I've done the brakes once and it still goes and goes and goes when this finally goes I'll be buy another Honda especially now that Honda make the ultimate quad hey now come with front diff lock

RB2
10-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Once You ride independent suspension , that will make the difference.

Ram1076
10-22-2014, 09:15 AM
I love my Can Am 800xt

Sofa King
10-22-2014, 09:28 AM
honda - pure and simple technology that rarely fails but is easy to service/fix

x1000.....

Ron.C
10-22-2014, 09:46 AM
I bought a new "2013" Kodiak 450 this past spring. Has more then enough power for anything I need. Aside from a few cosmetic changes, the engine/suspension hasn't changed in many years. Probably because it works. As stated already, fits nicely in a 6'6" box with the tailgate closes and pleanty of clearance for ramps to slide underneath. Not the EPS model, but got it for well under $7k brand new. I also like the fact that they have steel racks that can easily handle the load they advertise. I looked at Polaris and Arctic Cats and to be frank, they looked very cheaply made. I also looked at the Hondas, and if you are after a machine meant to work, they are also a good option IMO

David
10-22-2014, 10:40 AM
IMO,

Honda is nowhere near as bullet-proof in the ATV world as it is in the car/motorcycle world - before you buy a Honda do a LOT of research on what type of transmission they are using and what the issues are with it. I've never met a Honda owner who didn't have tranny problems (or quirks). This doesn't necessarily make them unrideable (can't shift unless at lowest idle speed, need to rock bike to get it in gear, etc.)

The smaller bikes have less ground clearance. If you go where other quads go, you have a good chance of getting high centred because everyone else is running super-aggressive after market tires and chewing the crap out of the trails. You may find yourself wanting to go +1 on tire size on a 450 quad which then could lead to power issues.

If you're like me, and like to go on long exploring trips, pay attention to fuel economy. It's almost impossible to find numbers so you have to do your research. One thing is that the CVT transmissions, because they keep it in the power band, tend to get poorer fuel economy than a regular transmission when bombing down a logging road. The "normal" tranny lets you run a high gear/low RPMS when bombing down that logging road (amusingly fuel efficiency is where Honda's shine).

I really like my 2008 Yamaha 550, but it has some of the worst high-speed fuel efficiency (e.g. logging roads) of any similar sized bike. Put it on a trail when your 10km/h and under though and it is more similar to other bikes and IMO more reliable and capable.

I'd also look at Suzuki's - seriously underrated bike that, if you can get them for a deal, are well worth it.

Me.

snakeplain
10-22-2014, 11:06 AM
buy the 420 honda with independant or solid axle, power steering, bullet proof, good on gas and light, nimble and quick for your purpose. check with venom sports in kelowna or edson, alberta for the best deal, you will love it, good tranny, no belts, have fun!

Drillbit
10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
^ X2 on the 420efi Honda with power-steering. Nice rigs

bigredchev
10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
I'd go honda if I had to do it again, and I own a 07 brute force 650.

ACE
10-22-2014, 11:41 AM
IMO,

Honda is nowhere near as bullet-proof in the ATV world as it is in the car/motorcycle world - before you buy a Honda do a LOT of research on what type of transmission they are using and what the issues are with it. I've never met a Honda owner who didn't have tranny problems (or quirks). This doesn't necessarily make them un-rideable (can't shift unless at lowest idle speed, need to rock bike to get it in gear, etc.)

The Honda models with 'ES' (electric shift) have had issues concerning underwater operation and neglect. This is usually not an issue with preventative maintenance, and common sense.
The 'S' or 'FM' (manual foot shift) models are truly bulletproof. Independent rear suspension is nice for just riding, but the solid rear differential is the one to get if you want to load a mule deer on the back.
Manual foot shift, solid rear differential, possibly power steering, and you've got yourself a workhorse ......

Singleshotneeded
10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
The Honda Rancher 420 EPS is another option instead of the Yamaha Grizzly 450, yes, and it IS reliable and all that, but it has a solid rear axle. Good for putting a buck on the back, yes, but not good for riding at other times, versus IRS. With an IRS quad you can crank up the preload adjustment on the shocks when you go hunting, so you have a stiff platform for getting a deer out, and then loosen the pre-load for comfortable recreational riding or scouting. Solid rear axle quads are like riding a buckboard! :-D I'm not sure if it even has front diff lock, either?

wlbc
10-22-2014, 01:38 PM
I have a 99 Honda Foreman with the electronic shift. 9000 k's and still ticking. Pretty good on fuel and goes all over the place from deep loon $hit to steep climbing. While it will not keep up to the go like heck set as they tear down logging roads and trails it excels at getting me into where I want to be and later hauling out what I killed. I have not had any issues with ground clearance although I do run a very aggressive set of tires on it. I would certainly buy another and I understand Honda still makes the Foreman line.

My second is a 06 Polaris 800 2 up. Good machine, actually more power than one needs. Great climber and good all around. The independent suspension makes it easier to drive all day compared to the Honda with the solid rear axle. No issues with it either.

Of the two I think I trust the Honda more. It is a basic, economical, tough, reliable machine.

I rented quads for a number of years before buying one, including: Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bombardier, and Arctic Cat. Yamaha is the only machine I have used that stranded me - twice! I personally would never touch one. Having said that it may have been my bad luck. Apart from those cheap Canadian Tire ones I think most of them are pretty good and it comes down to your preferences and quality of your local dealerships.

Trav
10-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies folks! Lots of very good advice here! Sounds like honda is the winner with the Grizz/Kodiak coming in a close second. I'll probably focus my research on those two. And thanks for the tip about avoiding the kamloops dealerships, I'll be sure to look out of town!

johnes50
10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Ask a quad mechanic what's a reliable quad. My friend did and Honda will pop up a lot.

bighornbob
10-22-2014, 11:40 PM
And thanks for the tip about avoiding the kamloops dealerships, I'll be sure to look out of town!

I can only comment on the yamaha dealer. No idea how the Honda dealer in town compares to others.

Bhb

Beaverhunter
10-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Ride a yamaha with eps you will be impressed!

Gun Dog
10-23-2014, 01:09 PM
When I bought last May it came down to Honda 500 Rubicon and Yamaha 450 Kodiak.

Honda - SRA, carb, sealed drum brake in the back, 4-speed automatic tranny
Yamaha - IRS, carb, CVT

Both have EPS (a must have item). I ended up with the Honda because I like the tranny. IRS is nice but many people like SRA too. It depends on what kind of riding you do.

You can still buy 2013s and the occational 2012 new for a significant discount. They don't change. My '08 Kawasaki 650 Brute Force was unchanged from 2005 - 2012. Newer ones might be the same too.

Big Hoss
10-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I have owned honda quads since 1989 in total my family (including uncles,aunts,cousins) own over 20 Honda quads at this time one as old as 1984 and as new as some 2012's. We have never had any major break downs with them as there built to last. I ride a Rubicon 500 and love it. Used it to pull a few moose out of the bush with no problem. If your looking at a honda id go with either the Rubicon or Foreman stay away from the Rincon if your using it for hunting as it is more of a sport 4x4 not really meant for slow rough crawling or towing

Fisher-Dude
10-23-2014, 03:41 PM
The manual shift, solid rear axle quads work well for pulling/carrying gear/game ......

The IRS quads have higher towing and cargo capacities than the solids.

Just compare the Polaris IRS and Honda Solid Axle 500 class specs:

Honda front 66 lbs, rear 133 lbs, towing 850 lbs

Polaris front 90 lbs, rear 180 lbs, towing 1,225 lbs

IRS kicks butt on carrying/towing big loads. IRS doesn't kick you in the butt like a solid axle when you hit a rough trail, though. ;)

Trav
10-23-2014, 06:41 PM
i see i have lots to learn about quads, good info here though. will look into the eps for sure. quad will be used for doubling a bit, as the lady and myself can only afford one (this year anyways!) dont plan on hauling too much though, the occasional deer hopefully!

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
i see i have lots to learn about quads, good info here though. will look into the eps for sure. quad will be used for doubling a bit, as the lady and myself can only afford one (this year anyways!) dont plan on hauling too much though, the occasional deer hopefully!

I'd buy a utility 2-up. If you're even doing a bit of doubling, it's the way to go, especially with the new quad regulations that will likely crack down on doubling.

Check these out, I've read some good reviews on them: http://www.polaris.com/en-ca/atv-quad/sportsman-touring-570-eps-bright-white

ACE
10-24-2014, 10:46 AM
wlbc ..... what tires/rims did you get ?
Also have a '99 Foreman 450S .... 7780 kms. / 885 hrs.

Sorry for the thread drift ...

Darksith
10-24-2014, 12:47 PM
older yamaha...bullet proof and probably not too expensive. Newer Can am aint a bad choice either

savagecanuck
10-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Honda reliable but boring, same technology for last 20 years. Yamaha 450 grizzly eps irs, newer technology better ride and reliable as a stone Axe. I've owned 3 grizzly 700 eps not one warranty issue. That said I ride a 14 canam 650 XT camo.

wlbc
10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
wlbc ..... what tires/rims did you get ?
Also have a '99 Foreman 450S .... 7780 kms. / 885 hrs.

Sorry for the thread drift ...

IIRC the rims are stock but it has Mud Bugs. They are bumpy and slow but they go dang near anyplace.

ratherbefishin
10-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Nobody has mentioned the kawasaki prairie.one of my requirements is an optional pull start

savagecanuck
10-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Here's one almost brand new with a winch.
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/2012_yamaha_grizzly_450/2105036/

bighornbob
10-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Here's one almost brand new with a winch.
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/2012_yamaha_grizzly_450/2105036/

I bought my 2013 kodiak (non EPS) last June brand new for about a 1000 dollars less. Pays to look around.

Bhb

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2014, 10:27 AM
I bought my 2013 kodiak (non EPS) last June brand new for about a 1000 dollars less. Pays to look around.

Bhb

Yup. And I wouldn't pay 8 grand for a 3 year old machine, regardless of the low miles. Resale value would suck heavily.

ruger#1
10-27-2014, 10:33 AM
I bought a 1993 king quad in 1995, Had the top end done and am still using it today. Fully independent suspension diff lock elec and pull start. Low center of gravity. I put my deer on the front rack and never had any problems. Good on fuel as it is a 300.

Foxton Gundogs
10-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Yup. And I wouldn't pay 8 grand for a 3 year old machine, regardless of the low miles. Resale value would suck heavily.

I bought my brand new Honda 420 for that all the machine I have needed on the farm or in the bush for 2 years now.

DANOSON
10-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Just picked up yamaha 450 EPS brand new for less than 8k all in. spectra sports in williams lake. Was going buy there on my way hunting and picked it up. It was $1000 cheaper anywhere I could find. I live on the island and still bought there. They had it all ready to go and in 15 mins I was on my way.

DR.DOUG
10-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I had(actually my son has it now) an 07' Grizzly 350, great bike for its physical size. I now ride a King Quad 450 and its been awesome but it is quite a bit larger.

longwalk
10-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Have a close look at the Honda 420. Better power than the Yamaha 450, and much more fuel efficient. Absolutely bullet proof. If you are going to use it to putter around on FSR roads diff lock is not needed, in saying that it will still crawl into a lot of tight, rough spots.

srupp
10-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Hmmm buy a Honda..put on some Itp Baja Cross tires, ridgid 10 inch led aftermarket lights..as Hondas lighting sucks..
Thats it go hunting...the 500 Canadian Trails edition is my ride..love it.
Cheers
Steven

SPEYMAN
10-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Disc brakes on all four wheels. Power steering. EFI . 4x4 on demand. low range. engine brake.automatic transmission. under 700 lbs dry. Independent suspension.Diff lock.

Any one of the major manufacturers that fit the bill. Warranty is only as good as your dealership.

I have owned and ridden a Yamaha Kodiak 400, yamaha kodiak 450 and presently a Yamaha Grizzly 700. My wife has owned the same machines. Very happy with the performance and have had no issues. Sold the 400s to have independent suspension, sold the 450s cause wanted more power. Have all of the above on my Yamaha Grizzly.

Drove them for 12,000 kms. Over 10,000 on my present machine.

ACE
11-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Trav ....... Did you get an ATV yet?
Give us an update ........

Trav
11-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Nope not yet, finally managed to get into a couple shops today to take a look. Leaning towards the 2014 kodiak 450. Also looked at the grizzlies, polaris sportsman, and hondas. Now just gotta call around for the best deal.

khoffnbud
11-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Honda - pure and simple technology that rarely fails but is easy to service/fix

^^^ this here is gold. my 2007 honda rubicon 500 has never left me stranded anywhere, and has never broke down......same goes for my old mans 88 fourtrax 300, never stranded and never broke down. rtr in kamloops is great to deal with, bought my 07 there

khoffnbud
11-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Nope not yet, finally managed to get into a couple shops today to take a look. Leaning towards the 2014 kodiak 450. Also looked at the grizzlies, polaris sportsman, and hondas. Now just gotta call around for the best deal.

the honda, regardless of price, is always the best deal

srupp
11-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Lol had the 1988..and the 2007 sold the 1988 to my hunting partner..who still is using it Im still using the 500..reliability when 20 kms back in the woods..priceless
Cheers
Steven

papahank
11-01-2014, 06:14 PM
You originally were looking for something small and reliable. Go with the Honda. I bought a Foreman 350 in 2003 and use it daily on the farm. Electric shift never a problem. Runs like a champ every day working on the farm. Then when the season is done I put it on my truck and off hunting I go. Never and I mean never let me down. No matter what the cost, pay a bit more for the Honda. You will never regret it. High resale value as well, but trust me you won't resell your Honda.

Trav
12-06-2014, 05:33 PM
quick update
after some looking around and lots of research, went with the yamaha kodiak 450. have not had a chance to ride it much yet but it seems pretty decent. thanks for all the input.

Buck
12-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Congrats ... i just bought the 550 Grizz

Ambush
12-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Great choice. It will serve you well for years and ask little in return.

Frango
12-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Yet another suggestion for a Honda 420 rancher AT .With IRS, power steering, fuel injection tough to beat. Despite what some ill informed people have said, Honda trannys are bullet proof .Great on fuel,small,reliable and well last for years.

300H&H
12-06-2014, 08:28 PM
I just want to add my thoughts and a little experience to the mix.
I bought a Kawasaki KVF 700...great quad.
But what I have come to realize is it is over kill.
I could easily do the same thing with a 500cc.
Im sure what ever quad you choose you will be happy.