PDA

View Full Version : 5-13 Doe Draw Filled!

epicZERO74
10-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Day1(Thursday, October 9th(mybirthday)

Mydad(mcmullmar on this site) and I left at 5:45 in the morning,stopped at the Tim Hortons in Quesnel for a quick breakfast and thenheaded out on our first hunt. On our way to our hunting location wesaw a doe. When we got to where we were hunting it was a while beforefirst light so we stopped and waited for a bit. As we could start tosee in the trees we continuedonwardto try and get a deer nice and early in the trip. We drove for a bituntil we came across the path/trail/old road that my dad shot a deeron last year, and walked it. We saw lots of deer and moose tracks,but the area was quite over grown and it was hard to see anything. Wedrove for a bit longer and saw a grouse, that I got with the 22. Ibelieve we got a couple more grouse that day.
Day2 Friday, October 10th

Lefta little later today, and decided to try some place different.Wesaw 1 doe that didn't give us a shot, and got a few more grouse(2 ofthem were together, and were some of those “matrix birds” soafter 3 shots my dad used the shotgun and got both). Went up thereagain in the evening, and saw a doe take off into the timber. We sawsomething on the road. We realized it was a small deer, so we put astalk on it. As we got closer we noticed a bigger deer off in thegrass, that was hard to see. Sadly, both took off before we could getto a good distance, and never gave us a good shot. Saw one more doeafterwards.

Day3 Saturday, October 11th

Day3 of the trip and we were on our way up to my Grandpa's cabin forThanksgiving. We decided to stop at a road we have seen a couple ofdeer on on previous trips. My mom came with us on this trip. My dadand I were both “feeling it” and we knew we were going to getsomething. We drove up the road and saw 1 spooked doe. Cruised theclear cuts for a bit and not having any luck, and we needed to get tothe cabin, so we went back down. On our way out, we saw a doe thattook off up a small hill...but stopped. So I got out of the truck andattempted to load a bullet(an attempt that failed), and motioned mydad over for help. He easily got the bullet loaded, but the deer wentback down the hill and further down the road. We started to stalkdown the road, then saw her quartering us, but still exposing herlungs, about 50 yards down the road. I aimed, took a shot, and thedoe dropped on the spot. A few seconds of celebration then my dadwent back to the truck, while I kept an eye on it. We drove right upto it, making it an easy load, and we headed off(missed another “Neo”grouse on the way out). At the cabin, we went for a walk down a nicetrail and got a couple more grouse.

Day4 Sunday, October 12th

Thenext day, we went for a short morning hunt, but saw tons of hunters,so it didn't last long. Went out for lunch, and had Thanksgivingdinner 2 at my Grandma's house. Headed back to Surrey early the nextmorning.

Rifle:Savage .243. This was my 2nd deer.
http://i.imgur.com/KoGLDWi.jpg

tomahawk
10-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Right on!! Great steaks , roasts and burger!!

HarryToolips
10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Way to go, congrats....

f350ps
10-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Wow, good on you, that'll be some good dinners!! Congrats! K

B-rad
10-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Way to go!!! That's awesome,,,,,some really good eating right there

Sofa King
10-21-2014, 09:25 PM
way to go.
and some great family time as well.

epicZERO74
10-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks to everyone who commented!

pnbrock
10-22-2014, 06:54 AM
good pile of meat there well done young fella!!

epicZERO74
10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
good pile of meat there well done young fella!!
Thank you! Just had a steak a few days ago and it was delicious!