PDA

View Full Version : Oct 25-31 Where to go ?

Gone_Fishin_
10-21-2014, 10:37 AM
As title says...

I took all of next week off with the intentions of hoping to finally connect with a big game animal somewhere in lower BC..

So far i've struck out pretty hard in my local region 2. Have a couple cams up and seen some action but not enough to pattern them and most have now seemed to disappear from the area i learned this past spring. Many miles have been hiked and days spent just looking.

Thinking about heading up to Princeton, or maybe even further out west or more towards Kamloops. Have no idea of the areas or where im going but won't get a deer sitting at home and i know my chances will be better than the Lower mainland. Will be driving my lifted Jeep TJ with 4:88's and 33x12.5 MT's so she's a little slow going but i don't mind some distance.. I have been to Willis Creek FSR and know some nice looking spots in there but i imagine theres been a ton of pressure since any buck season opened.

Wondering if anyone can help a fairly new hunter out with some general locations or maybe even a mountain to explore.(Pm's are greatly appreciated and welcomed...) So far i can't seem to find anyone to come with and my hunting buddy can't get any time off work so looks like i'll be going solo... Not the most exciting trip sitting around a camp fire by yourself but i really want to increase my chances by heading out of town vs day hunts around the valley.

So right now im stuck between heading up the #1 towards Cache Creek or up the #3 to Princeton and maybe more north from here. I've never been up around the 100 mile region so literally have no idea of where to go so am leaning towards Princton just because i've been there before. Fell a little more confident as i have seen doe's here and had a blast with grouse and rabbits.

Maybe someone on here wants to get together for a hunt ? go for a hike, day hunt, maybe over nighter ?

So far looks like im loading up the tent and as many sleeping bags as i can fit cuz she looks like its starting to get a little cold up there now.. Worst case jeeps un comfortable but come down to it ill sleep in there if needed. Just getting a little bummed out spending weekend after weekend hiking for hours on end and only seeing does, and the odd spike on my cams at night that i never see again..

So long story short... just asking for some help if anyone can, i know people don't like to give out locations and i will probably get a little beat on for this post but hey, never hurts to ask...

Thanks for anyone that can be of some assistance to a newb trying to learn on his own,

Cheers

Ranger95
10-21-2014, 11:31 AM
I suggest getting away from the 200/250 km (2-3hour drive) scenario - that's where all the LML guys have put the pressure - so take a map - draw a circle at 250 km and concentrate beyond that for starters..

Secondly think about the majority of hunters out there - driving their old 4x4 trucks or quads - up and down FSR's and hanging out around the cut blocks - many would drop dead if they had to haul their buts over a 200m ridge - so that's exactly where you want to go.

Thirdly - it's bloody warm - the deer are are still hanging high, get up into cold climate and you will find the bucks!

lastly - don't expect too much help from the "gas baggers" on this or any other internet site - many would sooner steer you in the wrong direction - than give up a slim chance of a kill out of the truck!

good luck with your hunt - have fun - and be safe out there!

BTW - feel free to PM me and I will gladly tell you where (geographically) and why we have tagged out this year already..

pnbrock
10-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Spoken just as good as kudu. Seriously get out and explore the cache cr area lots of area and game to be found. Best of luck.

sawmill
10-21-2014, 11:41 AM
I suggest getting away from the 200/250 km (2-3hour drive) scenario - that's where all the LML guys have put the pressure - so take a map - draw a circle at 250 km and concentrate beyond that for starters..

Secondly think about the majority of hunters out there - driving their old 4x4 trucks or quads - up and down FSR's and hanging out around the cut blocks - many would drop dead if they had to haul their buts over a 200m ridge - so that's exactly where you want to go.

Thirdly - it's bloody warm - the deer are are still hanging high, get up into cold climate and you will find the bucks!

lastly - don't expect too much help from the "gas baggers" on this or any other internet site - many would sooner steer you in the wrong direction - than give up a slim chance of a kill out of the truck!

good luck with your hunt - have fun and be safe out there!

68 posts.Nice one.
To the O.P , I`m sure there are some guys here that can steer you the right way,if you lived closer I`d help out.Good luck,good hunting.

Gone_Fishin_
10-21-2014, 12:13 PM

BTW - feel free to PM me and I will gladly tell you where (geographically) and why we have tagged out this year already..

Thanks for the response and info, should have mentioned that i won't be road hunting. Don't get me wrong tho, i still slow down and do the rubber neck at every cut block but 90% of my actual hunting will be on foot.

Never thought of the 200-250 km scenario... guess that makes sense. We all try and get out of the LM but your right it is usually within 2-3hr drive so i guess past this distance things can only get better. Sure wish i didn't have 4:88's some days and that darn lift... makes for a slow drive when you can only do 85-90 ish in a straight line, not even mentioning corners.. lol. She shines on the trails tho and never let me down or had me double think a cross ditch !

PM being sent Ranger95. Any information i will glady take in and put to good use.

4 point
10-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Ranger95 has got it right on. You have 7 days to be out. Use your time wisely. Head up Merritt, Tunkwa Lk, Red Lk way (and areas around them). Your Jeep will get you most places as snows haven't started to close down higher areas yet. Lots of deer around and buck should still be on their own for the most part during your hunting time period.

Mikey Rafiki
10-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Don't trust the gas baggers on this site, especially one that apparently tagged his elk, muley, whitey and bear already ;)

There are plenty of people that will help. Unfortunately I can't, unless you end up driving to Region 4. Stay off the beaten path, even if it's only 100 yards off the road.

Good Luck!

Sofa King
10-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Ranger95 has got it right on. You have 7 days to be out. Use your time wisely. Head up Merritt, Tunkwa Lk, Red Lk way (and areas around them). Your Jeep will get you most places as snows haven't started to close down higher areas yet. Lots of deer around and buck should still be on their own for the most part during your hunting time period.

snows haven't closed down any of my areas right up until dec. 10th.
and that's with no lift and shitty tires last year.
but who knows, if we ever do get the snow, it's different every year.

coach
10-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Ranger95 has got it right on. You have 7 days to be out. Use your time wisely. Lots of deer around and buck should still be on their own for the most part during your hunting time period.

Mule deer bucks have been hanging in close proximity to be does for a week or so now where I've been hunting. Your time frame is right in the middle of the pre-rut so it should be perfect. One key word of advice - don't give up looking just because the "obvious" deer aren't what you're after. Many times I've seen 1 or 2 turn into 8 or 9. Be patient and you'll have success.

Oh.. And make sure you post your story and pictures after the hunt! :-D

caddisguy
10-21-2014, 12:57 PM
I like the >250km advice. I did 400km from Langley for two weekend trips in a row and did not see many hunters at all. And one of those weekends was Thanksgiving. You have a week, so a couple hours extra travel is a good investment.

You should still be able to fly that Jeep at around 120. You might even look down and notice your going 140. Just mind cross winds and careful heading back eastbound for that one hill/corner going into the tunnel and a couple other tight curves around Hope. Tire pressure makes a big difference too. I used to keep mine on the low side, but decided being able to steer and stop was more important than perfectly even wear... which it turns out I still get. Before that letting off the gas in anticipation of a curve, then accelerating into it was the norm. Every day was like an episode of ice road truckers albeit on dry pavement.

Ranger95
10-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the response and info, should have mentioned that i won't be road hunting. Don't get me wrong tho, i still slow down and do the rubber neck at every cut block but 90% of my actual hunting will be on foot.

Never thought of the 200-250 km scenario... guess that makes sense. We all try and get out of the LM but your right it is usually within 2-3hr drive so i guess past this distance things can only get better. Sure wish i didn't have 4:88's some days and that darn lift... makes for a slow drive when you can only do 85-90 ish in a straight line, not even mentioning corners.. lol. She shines on the trails tho and never let me down or had me double think a cross ditch !

PM being sent Ranger95. Any information i will glady take in and put to good use.

No problem - I gave you some pointers - come back if you have any questions..

I hope that some of those that pounced on the chance to take a swipe at me (and my mate Kudu for that matter) - have the decency to help you out with some pointers as well.... But there's no guarantees....

have a great trip - take it easy with that lifted jeep - rather leave earlier and drive safely than take risks - the deer have been there for a long time - your arrival an hour or two later won't change things - I guess what I'm saying is be safe!

tinhorse
10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I know of some spots around Williams lake if you are interested, pm me. Ill tell you right where to find them, you just have to work a little to get them.

Gone_Fishin_
10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
You should still be able to fly that Jeep at around 120. You might even look down and notice your going 140. Just mind cross winds and careful heading back eastbound for that one hill/corner going into the tunnel and a couple other tight curves around Hope. Tire pressure makes a big difference too. I used to keep mine on the low side, but decided being able to steer and stop was more important than perfectly even wear... which it turns out I still get. Before that letting off the gas in anticipation of a curve, then accelerating into it was the norm. Every day was like an episode of ice road truckers albeit on dry pavement.

Only have about 8k on fully re-built motor so trying to keep the rpms around 2200 (which i dont like going higher anyways) plus with the gears i have and a RV cam my top end is gone and its all about the low 600-1500 rpm range. She's built for wheeling with a detroit locker and you name it so doesnt quite keep pace with everyone else on the hwy. Even rigs pass me... lol. Also when i look down and it says 120, im actually going 95... lol. Lift, gears, tires, locker... = no fun on concrete but will go anywhere offroad. In 4 low i can get out and crawl on my hand and knees faster than my jeep.

Gone_Fishin_
10-21-2014, 01:32 PM
I know of some spots around Williams lake if you are interested, pm me. Ill tell you right where to find them, you just have to work a little to get them.

Thank you very much for the offer and you may get a PM here one day requesting this info, lol.

Right now i don;t think im going to travel any further than cache creek or Kamloops area. Not that im worried about the distance but don;t really want to travel that far by myself. Would def make the trip if i had a buddy to share it with tho.

Never know tho, could make it that far and then decide that Williams lake is only around the corner :P we will have to see as i go. Right now i think i'm going to take in as much info from this thread and messages as i can and hopefully put a game plan together come Friday. If i have any questions about this area i will def take you up on that offer.

By the way, thank you. offers like that are far and few between and someone like myself greatly appreciates the help and kindness from others.

Gone_Fishin_
10-21-2014, 01:36 PM
No problem - I gave you some pointers - come back if you have any questions..

I hope that some of those that pounced on the chance to take a swipe at me (and my mate Kudu for that matter) - have the decency to help you out with some pointers as well.... But there's no guarantees....

have a great trip - take it easy with that lifted jeep - rather leave earlier and drive safely than take risks - the deer have been there for a long time - your arrival an hour or two later won't change things - I guess what I'm saying is be safe!

Jeeps no problem.. just slow driving is all. With the gears, cam and locker i dont go above 2200rpms. Shes a bit tricky to drive but once you figure out how to load/unload that locker it isnt so bad. Every once in a while if you jam on it the 3 wheels while turning from a stop on concrete wakes you up a bit. Thank you though, and thank you for the advice and areas mentioned.

Hopefully come next Monday ill have a great story and pics to follow.

caddisguy
10-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Only have about 8k on fully re-built motor so trying to keep the rpms around 2200 (which i dont like going higher anyways) plus with the gears i have and a RV cam my top end is gone and its all about the low 600-1500 (tel:600-1500) rpm range. She's built for wheeling with a detroit locker and you name it so doesnt quite keep pace with everyone else on the hwy. Even rigs pass me... lol. Also when i look down and it says 120, im actually going 95... lol. Lift, gears, tires, locker... = no fun on concrete but will go anywhere offroad. In 4 low i can get out and crawl on my hand and knees faster than my jeep.

Haha sounds like a fun rig. My speed isn't calibrated for the oversized tires either. Good for resale value! j/k ... I wonder if you have 8k on that rebuilt motor or 12k ;) Mine is mosty stock and it's automatic, so I just hit that "overdrive off" button and let it rip at 3000rpm. Not great for the engine, but I only do the Coq a couple times a year. I try to remember to turn OD back on going down hill.

Just remember that if you go from highway to mud quick to make sure you're out of 4 when you come back out. From experience, you realize your mistake really quickly when you go to merge on the Coq in 4-lo. It will not purrr like a kitten.

Good luck on your trip. I'm sure you will be seeing deers. Hope you connect with a nice buck!

quaint bucket
10-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Reg 2

Reg 2 is pretty pressured. The games are there but they're going to be hard to find. I would definitely go up to Cache Creek if I were you because that's the next place I'm heading to. I've been to Tulameen, Princeton, Pemberton, Harrison, Chilliwack, Hope, and Harrison so far.

Haven't connected with a deer. Saw a lot of deer signs in Princeton but no connection. Did a lot of hiking as well.

I'm in Coquitlam and if I'm ever free, wouldn't mind connecting with you and going with you. I can understand where you're coming from with going by yourself.

ducktoller
10-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Lots up squamish to pemberton and beyond. BUT you need to haul ass high up and steep and work for them. All blacktails too and they are called grey ghosts for a reason. Lots of cougar, grizz, and blackies fattening up for winter