PDA

View Full Version : Best inflatable sleeping pad?

GoatGuy
10-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Looking for something comfy, weight is not a big issue, but should be relatively compact.

buck nash
10-21-2014, 01:34 AM
I'll be watching this thread. I've had so many air mattresses fail on me in the last couple years. Bought a bunch of new coleman air mattresses for the family for the camping season. 3 out of 6 failed the first trip. Now down to one. They just don't make'm like they used to. They were like $40 each, so I wasn't expecting a lifetime of service but I would've thought I'd get a summer out of them.

fearnodeer
10-21-2014, 02:34 AM
Foam is the best never breaks down, I have a couple that I picked up at cabelas that self inflate to one inch and work quite well, over a $100.00 each but worth it to me.

digger dogger
10-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Trust me, exped9 or exped7. Ive had atleast 5 different pads.
The exped mats have down in them, and the heat they reflect back from you, is great.
And they are pretty thick, if you dont like a firm mat you can let air out without your hips hitting the ground.

BCrams
10-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Exped. Talk to Brent to see his. If weight isn t an issue you could prob go with a slightly heavier duty exped vs ul

Stresd
10-21-2014, 07:18 AM
I love my Therma-rest NeoAir Xtherm . I find it excellent and have Used it extensively over the last four years. Small, light, comfy and toasty warm. Not the cheapest but well worth it in my opinion and I would buy one again if anything ever happened to it.

In depth review/comparison done on 18 different sleeping pads including the expedition 7 & 9 which come in 10th and 11th respectively, in their ratings of 18 sleeping pads. One brand/model will not work for everyone and they make comparing pad features very easy in this review.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews

OutWest
10-21-2014, 07:29 AM
http://www.exped.com/canada/en/product-category/mats/downmat-ul-7-lw

This is a game changer. You can test mine out if you'd like.

BiG Boar
10-21-2014, 07:46 AM
Neo air is what I've used for 3 years now. I dare say it's awesome. Warm, light, durable, unless your partner puts a knife through it. Compared to the exped, which many of my friends have, I would say it's better behind their backs. Not to their face or they get sensitive about how fat and heavy theirs is when rolled up.

ryanb
10-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Don't buy an air mattress.

I recently bought a thermarest luxury lite cot. On its own it will beat the pants off any air mattress. Throw a light air mat on top of it and it's just like being at home on a real mattress (albeit much more narrow). I used it on a week long fly-in trip and the comfort was ridiculous. Plus you are much more warm not being right on the ground.

It may or may not be practical for backpacking, but is compact and only weights a couple pounds and is definitely worthwhile.

coach
10-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Come on, GG.. You're tough.. Just roll out an old tarp over some spruce bows and you're good to go..:mrgreen:

I've got an exped synmat and love it. The newer versions are even easier to inflate. My partner has the neo air and he raves about. As Big Boar said, it packs smaller than the exped. Another partner has the luxury cot that Ryan talked about - also a great option - particularly when you have the ability to pack both cot and a mat. Decisions, decisions.. :-D

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Neo air is what I've used for 3 years now. I dare say it's awesome. Warm, light, durable, unless your partner puts a knife through it. Compared to the exped, which many of my friends have, I would say it's better behind their backs. Not to their face or they get sensitive about how fat and heavy theirs is when rolled up.

What model of NeoAir do you have??

Just compared the Exped Downmat 7 UL WL (wide/long) to the NeoAir Xtherm(large) (similar R-values at 5.9 vs 5.7)
Exped packs to 23x11 cm
Neo is ............ 28x11cm

Weight
Exped....575g (mat only) plus 60g for schnozzle bag and 15g for the sack
Neo-......570g (mat only..no other weights listed)

GG ain't worried about weight as the shitters pack steaks, cast iron frying pans and 40 creek.

SSS

GoatGuy
10-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Weight isn't an issue as it will go on the horses. Comfort is the priority.

Tired of rolling over every hour because the hip is sore or all feeling has left the arms. Or sliding to the bottom of the tent a couple times a night.

Sleeping under a tree is getting old, particularly when it rains like it did last week, or the mercury dips to -25 lol.

Getting soft.

North Arm Knives
10-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Can't help you with a comfy sleeping pad as I've been using the same thermarest for over 10 years; It is thin and light because I mostly backpack. All I can say is the thermarest has help up extremely well!

I do have a tip to keep you from sliding off you pad (once you decide on one). Get a tube of seam grip (seam sealer) and put a whole bunch of thin 1/2" spots of it on both sides of the pad. This stops sliding between the bag and the pad as well as the pad and the tent floor. I've had mine is set up this way for years and it has helped, especially when the ground isn't totally level.

ps. I'm pretty sure seam grip is just some sort of silicone

2chodi
10-21-2014, 01:10 PM
A real cowboy would just use horse blankets and a pack tarp.

Thanks for the feedback. Weight isn't an issue as it will go on the horses. Comfort is the priority.

Tired of rolling over every hour because the hip is sore or all feeling has left the arms. Or sliding to the bottom of the tent a couple times a night.

Sleeping under a tree is getting old, particularly when it rains like it did last week, or the mercury dips to -25 lol.

Getting soft.

GoatGuy
10-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Do that too lol, just not when they're are soaked right through.

digger dogger
10-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Thats twice now Dave, didnt u have the knife?

10-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Thermarest here .... been on lots of Sheep Goat and Buck high country hunts through rough terrain. Back back duffle usually, worth the weight. they are nice to at least get some padding when its tough to even find a tree.

Had it for over ten years .... too many trips to count. Still works great.

E.V.B.H.
10-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Sorry exped guys your using "old" technology! Thermarest neo air extherm for me. But for your situation lookat the camper model or one of the other full size ones.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2014, 06:47 PM
What model of NeoAir do you have??

Just compared the Exped Downmat 7 UL WL (wide/long) to the NeoAir Xtherm(large) (similar R-values at 5.9 vs 5.7)
Exped packs to 23x11 cm
Neo is ............ 28x11cm

Weight
Exped....575g (mat only) plus 60g for schnozzle bag and 15g for the sack
Neo-......570g (mat only..no other weights listed)

GG ain't worried about weight as the shitters pack steaks, cast iron frying pans and 40 creek.

SSS

Sorry exped guys your using "old" technology! Thermarest neo air extherm for me. But for your situation lookat the camper model or one of the other full size ones.

Havent used the xterm. Just wonder what makes it superior?

SSS

300rum700
10-21-2014, 08:17 PM
If weight isn't an issue I would look at the downmat 9. I have the downmat lite 5 and its awesome, little less r value but a lot cheaper and a better valve system that he UL 7. The neo air is good but its like sleeping on a crinkly egg carton.

sheepaholic
10-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Exped by far the best

E.V.B.H.
10-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Havent used the xterm. Just wonder what makes it superior?

SSS
Mostly just joking around a little they are both great, but for backpacking the thermarest is a little lighter. The stuff sack is also the pump so the listed weight is all inclusive. But as I'm sure you know when backpacking lighter is better (usually). Ounces turn to pounds. Go to the gear lab link posted earlier for some great in depth reviews on all kinds of gear.

Brambles
10-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I have an exped downmat7 for cold camping and the neoair for early season. Hunting partner complains how loud the neoair is when I roll over!

boxhitch
10-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Lots of good back-packer choices given already , but that doesn't suit the need does it ? You can afjord the space for some luxury
My oldest self-inflating pad is a North Trails bought at Costco 10 or 12 years ago , still no leaks .
for your needs I would say any thick pad like a Camp Rest woul dhave the r-value and the depth needed for comfort on rough ground. Thermorest has a huge choice of products , designed by Boeing engineers at one time iirc
Whatever you buy , keep tabs on the repair kit , they seem to go MIA easily

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2014, 02:54 AM
I have an exped downmat7 for cold camping and the neoair for early season. Hunting partner complains how loud the neoair is when I roll over!

My sheep hunting partner has never mentioned anything about how loud my exped is when I roll over:-D

Cordillera
11-04-2014, 08:19 PM
I had an exped synmat and the valve leaked. Returned it at the coop for a big Agnes insulated. It developed leaks as the material delaminated. Now I have a neo air x therm.

They are all really comfortable. The exped and x therm are warmest (I sleep cold some value matters). But my old thermarest is still going after twenty years (my kids use it).

I think the expends are generally reliable so it's a contender. The neo air is light, compact, warm, and cheaper.

Johnny G1
11-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Thermarest that we bought in 1981 in Yellowstone for m/c camping after 2 air mattress fail and they are still good to this day. Roll up tight and light.

BRvalley
11-05-2014, 10:35 AM
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

25x78, I'm happy with it

BCrams
11-05-2014, 10:45 AM
My sheep hunting partner has never mentioned anything about how loud my exped is when I roll over:-D

bahahahaha

2tins
11-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Exped synmat7 or synmat9. Hands down.

Blockcaver
11-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Neoair ultralight or Exped Synmat 7 both are great backpack pads. Bad bad luck with a Big Agnes as it developed about a thousand leaks the third night out. The bathtub test showed bubbles all over a section of it. No trust after that.

My my favorite camp model is a double wide ancient Thermarest folded to make a single width double thickness bed 4" or 5"' thick. It is the best mattress I ever sleep on. Packs to about a foot in diameter by 2' wide.

Gateholio
11-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Exped is the best I've used. Bought quite a few years ago and haven't needed to try anything new. :)

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2014, 03:54 PM
You can test mine out if you'd like.

You'll get it back with a pee stain on it.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2014, 06:09 PM
You'll get it back with a pee stain on it.

Hopefully, it's just pee.