PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Hunting

Sylus
10-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Hello All

It seems the more I browse this forum the more comments I see about wolf over-population. Right now I am 100% focused on deer hunting but I am planning a wolf hunting trip for mid-february (reading break). So seeing as everybody and their dog... haha... wants the wolves dead, are there any specific spots in region 3 or 8 or 5 within a 4 hour drive of the lower mainland that would be a good bet for wolves? Also what are some good strategies for getting those guys in the crosshairs? I normally wouldn't ask for info this specific but it seems guys want these things gone more than anything so I thought it would be acceptable in this case.

Cheers, Sylus

adriaticum
10-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Good thread.
It would be nice to see an group hunt organized.

Wentrot
10-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Good thread.
It would be nice to see an group hunt organized.

Id be all over some sort of group predator hunt. Pretty sure its been attempted and discussed but never builds momentum.

warnniklz
10-20-2014, 07:05 PM
http://wolftracker.ca/?page_id=203

adriaticum
10-20-2014, 07:10 PM
http://wolftracker.ca/?page_id=203

Yes, but you still kind of need feet on the ground to know where there are at the time.

lone wolf
10-20-2014, 07:24 PM
I have been seeing a lot of activity in 5-1, gaveup on deer there and been in 3-×× and tons of sign . Scat , tracks and even a freshly chewed deer leg . But still no visual or hearing them . The harder i look for deer the more wolf sign i see . I have been using an electronic call but only coyotes coming in . Seems like all sign i see i am a few days late .

warnniklz
10-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes, but you still kind of need feet on the ground to know where there are at the time.

True, the map only goes so far. But the how section is pretty good

Sylus
10-20-2014, 11:53 PM
I would be up for a group hunt as well! I had no idea you could bait those guys, my girlfriend works at a butcher's ship so it looks like I am set haha. Would a fawn in distress call be a better bet than a rabbit in distress call?

Sofa King
10-20-2014, 11:55 PM
I would be up for a group hunt as well! I had no idea you could bait those guys, my girlfriend works at a butcher's ship so it looks like I am set haha. Would a fawn in distress call be a better bet than a rabbit in distress call?

one would think.
I don't think wolves waste too much time trying to catch rabbits.

Drillbit
10-21-2014, 12:39 AM

Cow moose call is a good one too.

I've used a foxpro lots using wolf howls, and have had them howl back right away, but never show themselves. It's frustrating, you know they're there but you don't see them.

NorBC
10-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Aparantly although it's legal to bait wolves, it's not legal to transport bait. Anyone else know of this?

boxhitch
10-21-2014, 06:05 AM
Depends what you are calling bait. Picking up a road kill ? or scraps from a butcher ?

Taylor329
10-21-2014, 06:55 AM
Cow moose calling works great. I was just in 5-02 moose hunting and everytime a threw out a call, the coyotes would yip and the wolves would howl. I would leave my seated location, walk 500 yards away, let out a howl, and they would all answer back from exactly where I had been sitting before. If you call, they will come right to you.

The Dawg
10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
100% legal to transport bait- butchering scraps etc

Not legal to pick up road kill for bait, unless you have a permit or are a trapper

Grousedaddy
10-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Try adams lake area for wolves seen hundreds of wolf tracks up there iver the last 4 days

Sylus
10-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Tthanks for the tips guys. Okay here is the rough strategy I have decided on based on your replies.

-find an area with good levels of wolf sign
-place a pile of bait in the middle of a clearing
-conceal myself with the wind in my favour and sit tight, calling periodically

The Dawg
10-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Wait for it to ice over on a lake, cut a hole in the ice so water pops up. Put bait around hole so it gets frozen in place.

Stops scavengers and dogs/cats stealing it, makes them work for it, and then hang around longer.

Put it within 100 yards of shore- Wolves are generally nervous in the open, and closer to shore, the more comfortable they are.

Sit opposite shore, against trees. Watch wind.

whitlers
10-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Wolves are smart. I was in 5-04 recently talking to a local rancher. He said if you are going to try and bait wolves you have to be carefull handling the bait as they can smell your scent on it and they wont touch it. Any truth to this?

250 sav
10-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Wolves are smart. I was in 5-04 recently talking to a local rancher. He said if you are going to try and bait wolves you have to be carefull handling the bait as they can smell your scent on it and they wont touch it. Any truth to this?
Yes that is true in most cases

The Dawg
10-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Always a good idea to wear gloves when handling bait, and wolves.

Nasty critters

Rob Chipman
10-21-2014, 05:01 PM
I'll second the cow call stuff. I've got a Primo's cow call that some of my buddies laugh at (it seems pretty dramatic) but...we set up at different points on a lake. One guy bull called and I used the Primo's call. Immediately worked up some wolves so close across the pothole that when they howled I immediately glassed a specific area, certain that I'd see them - they were that close.

Big Hoss
10-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I was cow calling a couple weeks ago in 5-01 and quite often I'd have the wolves start howling shortly after I started calling. Was beginning to think I sucked at calling moose if all I got answering was wolves.

NorBC
10-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification ND