PDA

View Full Version : non resident licence

Mini Moose
03-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I am interested in doing a turkey hunt this spring. Just curious on the process for a non-res. to get a licence. Can I buy it over the counter or do I have to send away for it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will
03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Non-Resident Hunting
All non-resident hunters wishing to hunt in the province of British Columbia must be accompanied by a registered guide.
You must fill out an application (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/non_res_hunting_application.pdf) to receive your non-resident hunting licence and species licences. The application package includes the application form, a complete list of guide outfitters (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/guide_outfitters.pdf) (511kb pdf) in the province, a copy of the current hunting regulations (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm) to give you an overview of how hunting in the province works, and a list of licence costs.
Guide outfitters charge different rates depending on the package you are buying.
Non-resident/Non-resident Alien hunting application packages may be obtained by contacting us:
Fish and Wildlife Branch
Ministry of Environment
PO Box 9374 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9M4
Canada

Not sure if Turkey is any different then the rest but I don't believe so:sad:

Krico
03-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Actually if you are a resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen you can go on an "accompanied hunt" with a resident of BC who has held a hunting licence and a big game species license for 3 of the previous 5 years. Said resident will only be issued one Permit to Accompany per year, and it must be issued at least one month prior to hunting. The non-resident must show the permit to accompany when purchasing their big game species license.
A non resident who is not a resident of Canada may also be eligible under the same procedure if accompanied by a qualifying relative as listed on page 9 of the regulations.
A non BC resident hunting license will run $75, a non resident moose tag will run you $250.
So if you know someone living in BC who qualifies and is willing to take you out, and they get their $hit together in time you can hunt for turkey. Of course you will not be eligible for any LEH hunts, and as an informal "policy" I believe they do not hand out tags to non residents going on accompanied hunts for sheep, but pretty much anything else.

Tuffcity
03-16-2007, 10:24 PM
All valid points (above) except that "Mini Moose" was inquiring about a turkey hunt. Turkeys fall under the "small game" classification and therefore a Canadian, non-resident of BC can hunt without using the services of a guide or being on an "accompanied hunt".

Cost is $75 for Canadian citizen basic hunting licence plus $50 for an upland game bird licence.

A call to the closest CO office might be in order just to double check. If you're in Calgary (as suggested by your profile) that would probably be Revelstoke at 250-837-9683.

Licences should be available OTC at a BC Government Agent Office.

RC

Krico
03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Had moose on my mind:oops: -Probably due to his name...So things will be a little easier, and cheaper.
Gobble Gobble:)

sawmill
03-17-2007, 04:52 AM
There is only one turkey in my area and my old lady gets the life insurance.I`ll let you know when I`m ready to go.:lol:

Will
03-17-2007, 08:32 AM
All valid points (above) except that "Mini Moose" was inquiring about a turkey hunt. Turkeys fall under the "small game" classification and therefore a Canadian, non-resident of BC can hunt without using the services of a guide or being on an "accompanied hunt".

Well it's a good thing at least someone here knows what they are talking about.........:lol:

From the BC Regs....Page 9

Small Game

It is not necessary for a non-resident of
British Columbia to be accompanied by a
licensed guide when hunting for small game
(includes game birds).

Mini Moose
03-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys. I put a call into the CO in Cranbrook and got it all straightened out.