PDA

View Full Version : 4 days in 70 mile and nothing to show for it

heatherdaddy
10-20-2014, 07:32 AM
I spent 4 day now in 70 mole house and saw about 30 Mule does and no bucks. Saw 2 Whitetail does that were open but they were on private land so no shooting. My partner and I must have put on over 10 miles each day on foot and saw squat. We were hiking down old logging roads even a quad would have trouble with then bushwacked and sat at the edge of an open meadow for over 2 hrs before giving up because we saw no movement at all. So back to the truck and drive to the next spot to check. The funny thing is it was on the drive to next spots when we saw all the does, not once in our miles of trekking and waiting did we see anything. The next spot was an old logging road that was deactivated and there were prints all over it in the mud that were fresh and old, so we grabbed a few logs and made an blind, sat at it for about 2-3hrs till just before dark and then we left after seeing squat again. On the way out from that spot we saw 2 sets of fresh Wolf tracks but never saw a Wolf at all, about 100 nyards from the Wolf track was a fresh set of Bear tracks, never saw a bear at all either. All in all a good time was had but nothing to show for it.
I was told by several people if you go to 70 mile area you will be tripping over Bears and there are more Bears this year than any other year, I claim BS on that as we never saw a single Bear at all.
So we were either doing something wrong or people lied about all the Bears up there.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-20-2014, 07:39 AM
Well, you didn't see any bucks but can you assume there are none left?? You didn't see any wolfs but you saw tracks. Are there no wolves?

Sounds like you are new to the area. Sometimes it takes a few trips to get to know where the game is.

SSS

heatherdaddy
10-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Yes, I am new to the area. I was invited up to a friends cabin and he knows the area as he has been living up there off and on for 10 yrs now. I figured it might also have been to warm as it was close to 20 Deg all the days we were there. He has 60 acres,of land and he hasnt seen anything lately either.

adriaticum
10-20-2014, 07:57 AM
Its too late for bears now i think. They have run out of fuel and are looking for a den too bed for the winter.

caddisguy
10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
My last couple out of town trips I only saw bucks in the first hour of legal light and the last 20 minutes of legal light. Only saw a few does hang out during the day and that was after it was storming all night.

I've hunted around lac la hache and 100 mile with a couple road hunters and a doe tag. Saw a couple does just before legal light one morning but nothing else... well, not true... tons of birds

There are tracks everywhere though. Tons of deer tracks and some wolf tracks. In an October this warm, I think you have about 20 mins in the morning and 20 in the evening to catch a buck out in the open. Otherwise you're looking to jump them from their beds. Maybe after a stormy night there's a little more day action.

I think figuring out those spots holding bucks and walking into there before it's light out is key. Then again, I have never had a deer in my freezer.

For bears, I don't know about 70mile but about 40 mins away I see them higher up... *cough*timothymountain*cough*

caddisguy
10-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Its too late for bears now i think. They have run out of fuel and are looking for a den too bed for the winter.

I'm not so sure. Last weekend I was seeing fresh scat at 1500-1600M in 3-26. I think they would be taking advantage of the extra time they have had to fatten up for the winter. I think once calories in versus calories out isn't worth it anymore, they'll hibernate. For now it seems worthwhile to be up and about.

That and bears are still getting whacked all over BC.

howa1500
10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
sat at it for about 2-3hrs till just before dark and then we left after seeing squat again.

Just reading what you said, and not trying to pick it apart, but you should be staying till AFTER dark... last 15 minutes is the magic time in my opinion.

The bears are still out in that area, One was shot just outside 70 mile on Saturday, Another on Thursday around Lone Butte.

ElliotMoose
10-20-2014, 10:22 AM
If you guys saw 30 does the bucks won't be too far behind.. I would say it's worth another trip up there in a months time

Grousedaddy
10-20-2014, 10:27 AM
It was pretty windy in here this past week so if it was really windy up there the deer were prob bedded down and bot moving

Brian011
10-20-2014, 11:17 AM
That's hunting, nothing is ever guarenteed, could go to the same area again and see deer all over the place, just keep at it and you'll get something to show for it.

Liveforthehunt
10-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Not too late my friend shot a nice cinnamon yesterday and I'm getting a few a day on my camera including seeing them ... Still a few weeks of bears

adriaticum
10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Not too late my friend shot a nice cinnamon yesterday and I'm getting a few a day on my camera including seeing them ... Still a few weeks of bears

Sure, I haven't seen them in the area I hunt since the end of September.
Depends on the area.
Coastal bears here will be around until December while they gorge on fish and sheit.

TCMX
10-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Took a long shot a bear two weeks ago up there and missed (didnt have a proper rest), been up to 70 mile three times this year and seen 4 bears, killed a 3x4 buck and filled my brothers doe tag and killed a ton of grouse aswell. Also the frist weekend we where there heard a bunch of wolves in the tree line near camp the first night.

Cyrus
10-20-2014, 12:06 PM
too hot too windy..not even worth goin out. surptised you seen that many!

HarryToolips
10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Thats why is called huntin, not killin....just be happy your enjoyin the bush..:-D

HuntNmemories
10-20-2014, 11:46 PM
I have hunted that area on and off for several years. I also saw many does while moving hunting location in the truck, but my bucks were all taken on foot. Early morning and last light while still hunting proved the best technique for me. Good luck on your next hunt!!

coyotebc
10-21-2014, 02:02 PM
I just got back from 70 mile today
The only bucks seen were at night
We hunted 5-2 and 3-31
Among 4 of us we saw 10 or 12 does, a couple of cow moose, a couple of mature bull moose and 2 bears
One of our group has lived in 70 mile for over 40 years and knows the area like the back of his hand

300win
10-21-2014, 02:22 PM
If you are only seeing does, the bigger bucks are still up high (to warm) The rut is starting soon so they should be moving down towards the Fraser Canyon.

sawmill
10-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Beauty fall days here but a bit warm,+5-10 at night and up up 18-20 by afternoon.Bears are still out here.
I give up on whitey bucks until mid November.
First 2 weeks of season or wait till does open,get one,relax for a while.Around shitty weather season-cold and snow-I start seeing bigger bucks that I`ve never seen before show up.They run off all the dinks that have been hanging around with the girls.I don`t shoot the puppies unless it`s last day or so.Hate eating tags if I need the meat.

AND,stick with the does.Best attracter ever invented.Bide your time.You will see the bucks.

Bugle M In
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
about a month early, and as others said, stick with the does.
bears are always a hit and miss...sometimes none, other times like deer flies...all over the place, but their still out there right now.
if you hit it right, it's like someone turned the light switch on, but only last a few days, then off again in my experience...mulies that is.
sounds like the deer you are seeing are in more unexpected spots...maybe due to wolf.
Go back I a few weeks, look for the sign of numerous deer in a particular area, and start walking.
they might not even be that far off the road!

Caribou_lou
10-21-2014, 07:08 PM
I went to an area last year and saw no tracks. My dad went the next day and crossed 4 sets of big tracks. They can move into an area fast. Overnight! You know where the does are. There bucks will be there soon.

white moose
10-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Best hunting for big bucks, around november 20th, 3 30 or 3 29. Sometimes -20 isn't for everyone. You need time, if you find lots of sign, work that area. My best bucks have been walking in fresh snow or sitting for hours at a time when snow is crunchy. Patience is key. Walk to the end of a clearcut, where the road is deactivated, even for quads.