PDA

View Full Version : elk and mule deer success for 2014

yota
10-19-2014, 10:22 PM
pics on page 2

well here's the story.
day 3 evening of the hunt my best friend and I decided to jump on the quads and try a new area to hunt on our way to the new area we had 2 3x3 muleys run across the fsr right in front of us. we both locked up the breaks and grabbed our bows. (my friend was just learning to bow hunt and I have been teaching him for just over a year now but before the trip he hadn't practiced much so I told him his max was 20yrds.) once the bikes were pulled off the road we looked over the bank were we thought the bucks were I told my friend to go first... well inexperience had him rushing to the edge and pushing both bucks from 10yrds out to 70. at this point my friend new his opportunity had passed and I moved parallel down the road to get a better angle and try and close the distance I ranged the bigger and closer buck at 58 yrds. draw my bow and settle in... with a smooth exhale and a pause in my breath the arrow released and my nock lit up. smack goes the rage broadhead and the buck jumps into the air... runs 40yrds into the thick bush and I hear him crash... a perfect heat shot.

day 4 morning my friend and I decided to try and sit on a lick we found a couple days ago for elk. we walked in in the pitch black and hunkered in waiting for the sun to come up. just as light started to break I let out a bugle and immediately had a reply about 400 yrds down the hill we called back and forth for about half an hour and pulled the bull into about 100yrds.... silence nothing it was like he just disappeared we stayed there for another hour occasionally calling with no response so we went back to camp to tell our party about the morning hunt. that evening my mom was upset she hadn't seen anything the whole time we were there and she wanted her old hunting partner back so I said I would take her there the next morning my friend wanted to go for a ride anyways with my mom's boyfriend so it was all gonna work out.

day 5 morning same as before but this time it's me and my mom but this time as soon as we got into the lick I sent out a bugle... bugle right back right off the bat same spot as the morning before so this time I told my mom to stay at the lick and keep cow calling and I'll go in after him. I walked 40 to 50 yrds and bugle or chuckle and he kept coming over the top on me getting closer and closer finally I walked to the edge of a small meadow and pondered weather or not to cross so chuckled and he bugle back real close so stood behind a tree and watched. al of a sudden I seen tines coming up through the trees and over the hill but it was so thick I couldn't shoot. he turned to my right and walked the tree line right to 30yrds and walked right into a shooting lane BOOM goes my 7 mm rem mag and down does the bull I ran over to him laying there and gave him 1 more mercy shot to finish the deed. what i originally thought was a 5x5 now grew to a very nice 320" 6x6 I let out a celebration bugle to signal my mom and the work began.

fearnodeer
10-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Wow sounds like a great trip, where were you hunting? Must be a freezer full of meat for you now.

Mik
10-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Awesome, congrats on both animals.... i was expecting you to say ya nailed the elk with a bow ;) great story, thanks for sharing.

aggiehunter
10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
a perfect head shot at over 50 yards...I hope you reconsider your bowhunting mentorship skills.

yota
10-20-2014, 10:35 PM
a perfect head shot at over 50 yards...I hope you reconsider your bowhunting mentorship skills.

there was no head shot on the mule deer it was a clean pass through the heart and the elk was shot with my 7 mm first shot in the heart lung area and the finisher was in the head what's wrong with that?

yota
10-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Wow sounds like a great trip, where were you hunting? Must be a freezer full of meat for you now.

ya it was a great trip my brother also shot a 5x5 a couple days later so ya it was a good trip. my elk dressed at 581 lbs and my brothers dressed at 521 lbs

Sylus
10-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Right on man! Sounds like an unreal trip. What bullet did you have that 7mm loaded up with?

yota
10-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Right on man! Sounds like an unreal trip. What bullet did you have that 7mm loaded up with?

I use the same bullet for all my big game it's a federal load 140gr trophy bonded copper. my gun loves them and groups really good with them so far I've shot 2 elk and 6 deer with them all one shot kills and my brother shoots them as well and took his 5x5 elk this year with them as well

coach
10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Congratulations on a successful hunt. Picture posting directions are in my signature line.

mddat
10-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Congrats, sounds like an amazing trip.

Charts
10-21-2014, 03:50 PM
The old saying "no photos then it didn't happen haha" congrats sounds like a good hunt

birdee
10-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Congratulations on a successful hunt. Picture posting directions are in my signature line.
wink,wink. poke',poke.
great year,nice to see some photo's though.
don't take offence not all the guy's here are d bags. I think the guy miss read your op were the spelling of perfect heart shot was missing the "r"
so you got it in the "heat", he can't read neither.

aggiehunter
10-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Yota, my bad....you wrote perfect heat shot and my old eyes read head.....cheers on a good hunt.

mddat
10-22-2014, 03:33 PM
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/mdemale/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps420ba6d2.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/mdemale/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps420ba6d2.jpg.html)

yota
10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
thanks mddat for posting the pics for me

stinkyduck
10-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Thats a beauty for sure!!

10-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Thats a dandy there ! congrats

birdee
10-23-2014, 08:33 PM
woa that there is a nice animal.I only wished.

kennyj
10-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Awesome bull! Thanks for sharing your hunt.
kenny

Squamch
10-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Damn those are some thick antlers. Beauty elk.

I Also read "perfect head shot" at almost 60yards and was kinda wondering....