PDA

View Full Version : how high

bowmagnum
10-19-2014, 12:26 PM
I haven't been out much for deer yet and was wondering how high you guys are hunting right now in region 8. Theres no snow up high but I always have a hard time finding deer at this time of year. I think I will try to be between 1600 and 1900 meters.? Does anyone notice a north or south face preference this time of year.

Brizz
10-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Try 1300 meters, I've seen a lot of mule deer activity around there in reg 8.

Sofa King
10-19-2014, 02:01 PM
it's not an elevation thing.
there's deer at all elevations all.
it's just that time of year when they're not standing right out in the open like they were earlier.
luck and timing, that's all it takes.

HarryToolips
10-19-2014, 02:38 PM
it's not an elevation thing.
there's deer at all elevations all.
it's just that time of year when they're not standing right out in the open like they were earlier.
luck and timing, that's all it takes.

Exactly...where I was hunting low low elevation yesterday, between me and two buddies we saw 19 muley does + a buck (wouldn't give me a shooting lane) + 4 WT (caught our wind and took off)..

caddisguy
10-19-2014, 04:50 PM
In the last couple weeks I saw a number of deer between 900M and 1600M.

The buck to doe ratio seemed better after 1500M. Mostly just does and the odd spike below 1400M.

This was 3-26 though. I think in early season, higher is better, but everything is about to change. Bucks will be on the move and all over the place and hopefully spending more time out in the open during the day.

I did not see a buck after the first our or so of legal light or until about 20 minutes of legal light left, despite efforts trying to find them bedded down.