PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail pressure....whats too much

Quince
10-18-2014, 01:45 PM
So early morning hunt 2 days ago, after hiking my ass off, i take a road back to camp and spot a doe 350m away, manage to get to 250 before she spots me, not really wanting to take an ass shot at that distance i hesitate and shes gone with 4 more with her. Ive gone back to same area a couple times since then and havent seen them, but a few mulie does have wandered by. Have i over pressured them? Time to move on? Just getting annoyed with nothing but mule does and cow moose...

Fred1
10-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Hang tight to the girls... the boys will show up....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2014, 03:41 PM
With whitetails it's usually move less, see more. Well, you may not see 'more' but the quality shot opportunities will be more.
Take a stand.

SSS

sakohunter
10-18-2014, 04:00 PM
With whitetails it's usually move less, see more. Well, you may not see 'more' but the quality shot opportunities will be more.
Take a stand.

I couldn't agree more. Hiking your ass off is the beginning of the process, but after you find them, then the game begins. You got to get into where they are living and moving around and try and intercept them. They can hold tight behind a tree or a pile of bush for a long time and you will walk right by them, until they bust out in a direction that you have no shot. It is a fun game that can test your patients. Good luck and maybe you will find one that makes a mistake.

Sako

GoatGuy
10-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Go in midday built a blind out of debris. Sit. Shoot deer.

Buck
10-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Agreed High pressured whitetails are very hard to still hunt .Sit and wait.

Sofa King
10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
I couldn't agree more. Hiking your ass off is the beginning of the process, but after you find them, then the game begins. You got to get into where they are living and moving around and try and intercept them. They can hold tight behind a tree or a pile of bush for a long time and you will walk right by them, until they bust out in a direction that you have no shot. It is a fun game that can test your patients. Good luck and maybe you will find one that makes a mistake.

Sako

doctor????

goatdancer
10-18-2014, 07:11 PM
I've never had them spook just once and disappear from the area. They should be around fairly close.

Sofa King
10-18-2014, 07:12 PM
I definitely don't have the "patients" to sit and wait on whiteys.
every buck I've gotten was still-hunting like I do for muley.
last year's, I was tracking one at last light, finally aborted the track when I realized that he didn't seem to be leaving the thick.
has just enough light to hike back to the truck I figured.
as I got back out of the trees and was cutting kitty-corner across the cut back toward the truck, I was about half way across when I spotted a buck with his head down, trudging through the snow pretty much on the exact path as the one I had followed.
I saw him first, and he ended up in my tummy most of this year.

but yeah, the does seem to be nervous wrecks.

Quince
10-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Absolutely nothing, not even birds. even partner on other clearing .5k away saw nada.
Oh well one week down, four more to go. On to next location after morning hunt.

GoatGuy
10-18-2014, 09:27 PM
make sure the wind is in your favour. If you're stinking it out you will never see a deer.

Quince
10-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Guess the homemade chilli with extra kidney beans was bad idea?

goatdancer
10-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Isn't that what they sell as 'Cover Scent'??????????

Hillbros_96
10-19-2014, 11:24 AM
They are m much more sensitive than mulies for sure. So if you bumped it, you are better ignoring them for a week or two and then trying again.

Liveforthehunt
10-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Are you going after a Doe or hoping for a buck ? I'd just leave it a week they are probably still there just coming out at night

Buckmeister
10-19-2014, 10:28 PM
I would venture that if deer actually do move out of an area it's because of other pressure from predators, like wolves for example. Otherwise, sit tight, put out some bait (yes it's legal), and see what comes by.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Only if you're upwind. Fun in the truck on the way up with the buddy, though :)